Better Than Homemade? Marie Callender’s Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken Pot Pie

I’m going to be honest… it has been many, many, many years since I’ve had a frozen chicken pot pie. In fact, it has been so long that when the folks at Marie Callender’s contacted me about trying out their Chicken Pot Pie to see if it is really better than homemade, I almost said no.

Why did I change my mind? When I was a little girl we used to live next to a little old lady named Agnes Walker. I don’t remember much about Agnes except going to her house when I was probably 4 or 5, eating frozen chicken pot pies off of metal TV trays and watching soap operas with her. My mom said Agnes wasn’t my babysitter, but apparently I liked to just go hang out with her. We’d eat our chicken pot pies side by side watching the latest romantic drama unfold on TV. I loved Agnes, her TV trays and the frozen chicken pot pies we would eat.

The Chicken Pot Pie from Marie Callender’s took me back to those afternoons with Agnes. The pie was like my childhood, full of comfort. The crust was actually flaky (unlike the soggy ones I remember from when I was a  kid) and the broth, chicken and vegetables were really good as well!

Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie

Are Marie Callender’s Chicken Pot Pie’s better than homemade? I’ve never been able to make a chicken pot pie with a crispy, flaky, non-soggy crust (and I detest making pie crust) so for me, the answer is yes. Of course, we aren’t a huge frozen foods family, but I’m glad I tried the Chicken Pot Pie from Marie Callender’s out. It’s nice to find a convenience food that tastes great and elicits wonderful childhood memories.

This is a sponsored post for Marie Callender’s and The Motherhood, however all opinions expressed within this post are my own.

Comments

I can’t say that I am a huge pot pie fan, but after looking at your stunning photos I think that my mind may be changed.

Ok, I grew up on frozen chicken pot pies, and you know what I like most about them? They have crust that goes all the way around! It’s not just a bowl of filling with a puff pastry hat on it! I LOVE how the gravy soaks into the crust. It makes it so much more delicious!

Also, my mom always served them upside down – she’d invert them onto the plates out of the little cardboard pie tins and serve them just like that! I have to eat them that way now, if I ever do.

My personal opinion on these- the ones in their restaurant are so much better. But all in all- these & Claim Jumper pot pies are on the top of the frozen food list. Sort of a guilty pleasure. I have always wanted to make them myself. Have not found a recipe that stays moist & the creaminess doesn’t soak up into the crust. I read once that pot pies are about the worst thing one can put in their body. My heart sank- I love them so much. Great comfort food. Now that I know that- they taste even better when I do cave to the craving every once in a great while.

I love chicken pot pie but have never been able to recreate it in my own kitchen. The filling? Sure. But the crust always got the better of me. If what you say about Marie Callender’s chicken pot pie is true, then it sounds like I’m going to have to try it out!

And I love the story about you sharing chicken pot pies over soap operas with your neighbor. Food memories like those are the absolute best.

5. Roger A says

Has ConAgra even tried tasting Claim Jumper Frozen Chicken Pot Pies? If they have developed their tastebuds beyond that of a 7 yr. old, then they would know that bland Marie Calendar’s chicken pot pie DOES NOT EVEN COMPARE to Claim Jumper Frozen Chicken Pot Pies!!! I found out, as an optional method, that if you ignore their directions and cook it at ~2 hr and 10 minutes at 350 degrees this will probably be THE BEST Chicken Pot Pie you ever had!!!!!!!! Plan ahead, this pie is WELL WORTH THE WAIT. ConAgra maybe if the pie was smaller and cost less it would sell better. I can never finish Claim Jumper’s Chicken Pot Pit by myself. ConAgra please bring it back, with my optional cooking method. I believe sales will go thru the roof!!!! Roger Atkinson

6. roni says

Love the dinners, but the chicken pot pie has dense, sawdust crust, mushy, tasteless peas and carrots and rubbery tasteless chicken, floating in a watery, too salty sauce. Gross in every respect.