Almost Like Butterbeer from Harry Potter

Harry Potter Butterbeer

I think I am one of the few people in the universe who has not read the Harry Potter series. Although I love to read, I have commitment issues when it comes to reading books, and a whole series is just more than my ADD attention span can handle.

My husband and son are big fans of the book series, so when we recently went to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure and were immersed into the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter, they were just a tad bit stoked. I knew enough from watching some of the movies to be enchanted as well. Walking through the streets you immediately felt transported to another land.

To be honest with you, even though I don’t know much about Harry Potter, I was willing to hang out anywhere that had this delicious drink concoction called Butterbeer. Apparently, Butterbeer is the beverage of choice for the Wizards at Hogwarts Academy. One sip from the closest beverage cart and I was hooked. In fact, we had so many great things to eat and drink on our vacation, but of all of it, my craving for Butterbeer hasn’t ceased.

Katie Drinking ButterbeerOur friend Katie gets her first sip of Butterbeer!

What does a food blogger do when they are craving something? First beg Chef Steven Jayson, who created the recipe, to share his secret. When this results in no avail, scour the internet trying to find copycat recipes or create the recipe itself.  The Butterbeer created by the chef at Islands of Adventure and approved by J.K. Rowlings herself is a buttery and creamy mixture made without ice cream. I found this recipe on Fox News and decided it seemed the closest in ingredients to what I tasted at Islands of Adventure in Orlando. Close, but not quite… but delicious nonetheless! To get the real thing, I think I’m just going to have to go back to Universal Studios in Orlando…sooner rather than later!

Harry Potter Butterbeer 2

Recipe: Butterbeer (from Fox News)

• 1 cup light or dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 6 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
  • Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda
  1. In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer.
  2. Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
  3. Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  5. To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.

I’m sharing this post as part of the I’m Lovin’ It roundup on TidyMom!

Comments

I found the Butterbeer to be a bit too sweet for my taste. I will say that I was so mad when after I bought mine, I was informed they served it frozen as well. Next time, I’ll get it frozen.

So fun! My hubby and I have both read all of the books (and, I am currently re-reading them to keep myself occupied while I am recovering!)… I will have to make this the next time we get together with our other Potter-fanatic friends :)

OMG! Butterbeer! I am a huge HP fan and being the foodie that I am, I often thought about what butterbeer might taste like while reading the books. And now I can give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

oh yeah . . . come to mama, you little butterbeer, you . . . and honestly? it’s almost 100 degrees today and this little gem would taste mighty fine, oh yes indeedy!! HUGE HP fan and have wanted to hit that theme park since it opened – have heard nothing but rave reviews!!!

OMG I am such a book freak that I about had a heart attack to see a drink perched atop a book!! I am always after my husband about this – he has no qualms about using my books as coasters if I leave one laying around near his spot at the table. Eeek!! :)

I remember when I first read a story about the Harry Potter series in a magazine many years ago. I actually bought the first two books early on before HP became a phenomena here in “The States” and when I’d bring them to work to read on my break everybody wanted to know what Harry Potter was!

This sounds like sweet drink that’s for sure – I love the cream soda added, but it’s sort of born from a buttered rum it seems. Funny that JK just made it up! I saw that you had to consume it right away and that several had try to smuggle one out of the park but it didn’t last. Wonder why? Maybe I’ll get to try one myself at Universal. :)

Rest assured you’re not the only one. I finally started reading the books two weeks ago! Nice post. The drink looks so yummy.

I LOVE Harry Potter and I LOVE this recipe! My hubby and I went to Universal a few weeks ago and the frozen butterbeer is the best. I cannot wait to try this out.

A tasty heart-attack in a glass. You must need to be a wizard to zap all the fat and cholesterol away :-)

On that same note, I must try it at least once in my life. Ohhhhhh.

I’ve always imagined the butterbeer to taste quite a bit like a rootbeer float. I might just have to go ahead and test it out. My HP-lovin’ son would love this!