Strawberry Temptation {Recipe: Strawberries with Maple Cream Sauce}

maple strawberries

April in Kansas is not a good time for strawberries, yet each and every year, around this time, I get tempted. The weather warms up and I want fresh fruit. I walk into the grocery store and see the displays of red, ripe strawberries and can’t resist them. I get them home, wash them and dig in for my first bite only to be disappointed. They are never as sweet and delicious as I hope.

In the summer, Kansas strawberries are the most amazing things. They don’t need anything at all to make them taste good… no sugar, no cream… nothing. They are fantastic just the way they are.

The April strawberries I was tempted into buying and brought home did need something, and I knew just the enhancement they needed. This recipe for Strawberries with Maple Cream Sauce used to be my “go to” dessert recipe when we’d have last minute company.  It is a quick, easy and elegant dessert and it enhances strawberries perfectly!

If you have been tempted by less than stellar April strawberries, give this recipe a try. It’ll turn so-so strawberries into an amazing dessert!

Recipe: Strawberries with Maple Cream Sauce

• 1 cup sour cream (I prefer Breakstone’s Sour Cream)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 3 pints strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and maple syrup; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
    2. Arrange strawberries in eight dessert bowls.
    3. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over them and refrigerate.
    4. To serve, pour sour cream mixture over strawberries.

Comments

Florida has had some amazing strawberries lately. It’s strawberry season here so they are huge, juicy, and sweet. I’ve been making sure I pick some up with every trip to the grocery store. This dish looks soooooo good. Love strawberries. They are so refreshing. Beautiful pics too!

Love the colors popping here, Kristen. Anything with maple I am an instant fan, so this dessert wins in my books! Of only we didn’t have to wait another 2 months for strawberries here in QC. *sniff*

Smile. I get excited about strawberries in April too. I wish I was in California…because I know those berries are great right now! But this recipe is a great way to use up some of the less than stellar April cartons. Thank you for sharing with me tonight, my sweet friend. I hope that you have a wonderful week full of laughter, love and good food. As always, I’m leaving tonight feeling inspired by your creativity and kindness.

Kristen, it’s the same in Texas. Late April brings us the Poteet Strawberry Festival. Poteet is this tiny little town (hence the name!) South of San Antonio. Pretty much the only thing that happens there is growing incredible strawberries. I was always tempted by the strawberries in the store at the beginning of April, but if I just held out, the pallet of strawberries from Poteet would be 10 x as worth it. I’d put this recipe on them even if they didn’t need the help, because it looks just perfect!

5. Pat Wogan says

I found out at the doctor visit that I can now eat strawberries! We had then the other night. I must say they were big and sweet…and smelled so good! I know when I find Driscoll berries they will always be good! Of course, not as good as Kansas berries are freshly picked and eaten as you pick them….but now with all the pesticides, you might not be able to eat them right out of the patch. Your dessert looks scrumptious!

I would never of thought of using actual sour cream…I think it’d be fun to try, but I think I’d go for a thick, Greek yogurt first!
      Your pictures are so awe inspiring…so beautiful! Glad I found your beautiful site! (via Foodgawker!)

First up GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS photos. I love the recipe. Strawberries are going crazy here in California and I just bought a huge flat, so I can’t wait to try this recipe.