Mom’s Cooking {Recipe: Oven Baked Kale Chips}

Kale Chips and Raw KaleMy mom is an excellent cook but there were times in my life I would think that maybe she wasn’t so much. Like when she would make liver and onions. Or how about white sandwich bread with white hamburger gravy poured over it? I want to gag just thinking about it.

We lived in a house where choosing something else for dinner was not an option. If it was on the table you were expected to eat it, and that was that.

Our house is the same way. I’m not a short order cook and we have a rule where you have to at least take a bite of everything on your plate. With four kids sitting around the table, you can imagine we’ve had our fair share of resistance to eating some of the things I cook.

I was ready for the pouts and whines the other day when I placed a bowl of Kale Chips on the table. My friend Aggie raves about Kale Chips quite often and then Michelle published a post on her blog about them. With all the good things I’ve heard about Kale Chips and how even the most vegetable resistant kids love them, I thought I’d give them a try.

Let me end this blog post by saying this… 4 days later, Kale Chips have been baked each day. I love them, my husband loves them and the best yet… the kids love them.  I’m so glad to know that my kids won’t be blogging about the nasty green things their mom used to make them eat. Kale Chips, in this household, have been a hit!

What is a food your parents cooked that you dreaded seeing on the dinner table as a kid?

Recipe: Oven Baked Kale Chips (from What’s Cooking with Kids)

• Bunch of kale
  • Olive oil
  • Salt, to taste
  • Cracked black pepper (our addition but not required)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Hold the thick stem of each kale leaf with one hand. Pinch the base with the fingers of the other hand and rub them up the stem – the leaves will tear right off!
  3. Put the kale pieces on a baking sheet lined with a silpat (a silicone baking mat) or with parchment paper.
  4. Pour on a little olive oil and toss with clean hands.  Sprinkle with salt (and pepper if your kids like that…)
  5. Make sure they are in a single layer on the baking sheet sheet.
  6. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until crisp.

You can find more great, kid friendly recipes like this in Michelle’s new cookbook, The Whole Family Cookbook. Make sure to check it out!

Comments

I have some kale in my fridge that I forgot to add to my 15 bean soup, hmmm, I’m thinking kale chips now. BTW, it was peas for me…yuk! Now I realized it was because they were canned. Once I had my first taste of fresh/frozen peas, it was a different story.

I’ve been hearing about baked kale chips for at least a year now, but haven’t been brave enough to try them. If your kids love ‘em, I should suck it up and try them, too. Right?

My most dreaded childhood meal? Creamed tuna on toast. Ugh. It wasn’t even the good tuna (albacore), but the stuff that looks gray right out of the can. Ugh.

Now there’s a kind of chip I won’t feel bad eating by the handful! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

To answer your question, the dishes I always dreaded when I was a kid were my mom’s creative uses of leftovers. She was, er, resourceful, to say the least!

That’s the news I was looking for today :) I’m getting ready to try them out on my boys and my teenage sister this week while we are staying at my dad’s house while he is on the road. Hopefully my brood will be as receptive {fingers crossed}

This recipe looks good. It’s totally new to me so I’m looking forward to trying it. I was pretty limited in what I ate as a kid so I’d have to say fish. The only thing I’d eat was swordfish, and of course that was a bit too expensive for family dinner at that point in time. I still love it though!

Love kale chips, Kristen! Isn’t it so true when you introduce a new food to your children sometimes they can surprise you by loving it. So nice when it happens to be something healthy like these kale chips.

liver and onions, fish or stuffed green peppers . . . those were the times i’d be asking my friends if i could come to their house for dinner! kale chips rawk!

I’m so glad you posted this. I have a bunch of kale in the refrigerator that I’ve been trying to think what to do with it.

Cold beef tongue was my most dreaded meal. Gag.

Somehow, I still have never tried kale chips. Or kale for that matter. What is wrong with me?

The foods I dreaded seeing on the dinner table growing up were stewed tomatoes, brussels sprouts, beets, and cooked carrots. With the exception of the carrots, I’ve made peace with the others – and love them, actually. Cooked carrots? Never.

Just tried kale chips for the first time recently, and I loved them! Still need to try making my own though! These look so delicious! Great job!

I never thought to add pepper to my kale chips. That’s a great idea!

Lately I’ve been cheating and using garlic salt since I’m not a big fan of the taste of kale (it’s a bit too green-tasting for me, if that makes sense), but pepper sounds fantastic too.

Truly, there was nothing that my mother cooked that was not wonderful to me! I cannot wait to try these kale chips. They have been everywhere blogs, magazines and the food network. It is a must do now after you have raved about them.