Mom’s Cooking {Recipe: Oven Baked Kale Chips}

Kale Chips and Raw KaleMy mom is an excellent cook but there were times in my life I would think that maybe she wasn’t so much. Like when she would make liver and onions. Or how about white sandwich bread with white hamburger gravy poured over it? I want to gag just thinking about it.

We lived in a house where choosing something else for dinner was not an option. If it was on the table you were expected to eat it, and that was that.

Our house is the same way. I’m not a short order cook and we have a rule where you have to at least take a bite of everything on your plate. With four kids sitting around the table, you can imagine we’ve had our fair share of resistance to eating some of the things I cook.

I was ready for the pouts and whines the other day when I placed a bowl of Kale Chips on the table. My friend Aggie raves about Kale Chips quite often and then Michelle published a post on her blog about them. With all the good things I’ve heard about Kale Chips and how even the most vegetable resistant kids love them, I thought I’d give them a try.

Let me end this blog post by saying this… 4 days later, Kale Chips have been baked each day. I love them, my husband loves them and the best yet… the kids love them.  I’m so glad to know that my kids won’t be blogging about the nasty green things their mom used to make them eat. Kale Chips, in this household, have been a hit!

What is a food your parents cooked that you dreaded seeing on the dinner table as a kid?

Recipe: Oven Baked Kale Chips (from What’s Cooking with Kids)

• Bunch of kale
  • Olive oil
  • Salt, to taste
  • Cracked black pepper (our addition but not required)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Hold the thick stem of each kale leaf with one hand. Pinch the base with the fingers of the other hand and rub them up the stem – the leaves will tear right off!
  3. Put the kale pieces on a baking sheet lined with a silpat (a silicone baking mat) or with parchment paper.
  4. Pour on a little olive oil and toss with clean hands.  Sprinkle with salt (and pepper if your kids like that…)
  5. Make sure they are in a single layer on the baking sheet sheet.
  6. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until crisp.

You can find more great, kid friendly recipes like this in Michelle’s new cookbook, The Whole Family Cookbook. Make sure to check it out!

Comments

I am obsessed with Kale Chips!!! My kids at work love them too – nothing better than seeing a 9 year old scarfing down kale chips :)

My mother is an amazing cook and was able to put a meal together for 5 under the poorest $$$ conditions (I like to think I have inherited this trait). But she can not even today make spaghetti that is edible, but it has to be the pea soup we endured. I get a shiver down my spine just thinking about it. My portion in particular was bad cause it was loaded with salty tears….Since my father passed away when I was 18 the one question I forgot to ask the psychic that one time he showed up was “why he tortured me by insisting I ate the damn stuff”

This is a fun post, Kristen – we have all been there. My kids still roll their eyes at me during dinner sometimes, because I won’t short order cook, either. I am thrilled that you like the kale chips. Sometimes I think I talk about them too much – but when it helps families eat a serious super-food, it doesn’t seem so horrible! Yay for healthy foods the whole family loves!
    ps. to answer your question – I was never a fan of beets, but luckily, my dad didn’t like them either, so they weren’t served often.

It truly is the best feeling when you make a vegetable dish and your kids like it!!!

Hmm… what food did I have to eat growing up that I didn’t like? Rutabaga’s!! Fortunately for me, I now like them!!!

That’s cool to see you can make them with curly kale. I had made them with the Tuscan Kale, which was excellent, but these look fun too!

I have yet to try these, but my mom loves them! I am going to have to put these on my short-list (especially if it’ll get my hubby to like kale!)

It was many years into adulthood before I would eat a hamburger. My mother cooked them into little charred hockey pucks, and I gagged at the thought. Thankfully, I have since become acquainted with how good a properly cooked burger can be.

As for Kale Chips. YUM! Who would have thought they would be so good? My Hubs will devour a tray of them in less time than it takes to make them.

yay for kale chips! I still can’t believe my kids love them. They really are such a treat…we love to have them with our burgers :)

So glad you tried them and everyone liked them!!

I’ve been hearing great things about kale chips all over the place! If your kids wolfed them down, then I must try them! I can never get my daughter to try new things but these sound like a winner.

I wasn’t really picky as a kid- the only thing I can remember dreading were yams on Thanksgiving day…and I don’t know why! I love them now :-)