California Avocados Direct {Recipe: Avocado Dip}

Have you ever tasted an avocado? I mean….really tasted an avocado? I thought I had – I make avocado fries, salads with avocado and avocado ranch dressing, guacamole and more. I eat avocado’s straight up with a bit of Kosher salt and I love them on a sandwich.

I recently received a shipment of California Avocados from California Avocados Direct. Securely packaged with care and a hand written note directly from the farmer himself, I was pretty excited about this package. California Avocados Direct is bringing fresh from the orchard avocados directly to your home and mine through their innovative e-commerce store. With a selection of monthly avocado deliveries, gourmet avocado gift baskets, and more, California Avocados Direct is giving the chance for people like me, in Kansas, to really be able to taste an avocado.

California Avocados DirectWhat I realized when I first took a bite of an avocado from California Avocados Direct is that I have never really tasted a fresh avocado. We have avocados in the supermarket here that you have to hurry to get home or they will be over ripe. What we don’t have are orchard fresh, delicious, farm fresh avocados. After one taste, I can tell you… you haven’t truly tasted an avocado unless you have tasted a farm fresh California avocado.

I hesitated to even turn these avocado’s into a recipe… they were so good by themselves – fresh and full of flavor. However, I decided to create a delicious veggie dip (or pita chip dip) using an avocado, some cream cheese and Rotel. A veggie dip for your veggies… gotta love that!

If you are interested in supporting a farmer with a commitment to providing the freshest avocados to people in all regions of the United States, check out the California Avocados Direct website. Their story is one worth supporting and their avocados are truly like nothing I’ve ever tasted. Freshest of the fresh and the highest quality avocados available.

Recipe: Avocado Dip

• 1 8oz package light cream cheese
  • 1 ripe avocado, diced
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
  1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine light cream cheese and diced avocado. Blend until smooth.
  2. Add Kosher salt and tomatoes with green chilies. Stir with a spoon until well incorporated. Serve cold with fresh vegetables or pita chips.

California Avocados Direct sent me a lovely package of avocados. All opinions expressed within this post are my own.

Comments

Awwww man… we go through some avocados around here when they’re in season. We could really go for a regular supply of fresh ones! Just made a simple guacamole this weekend with fresh cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper – nothing like it!

Totally AGREE! I’m blessed to be back in California to enjoy these deli-sh staples in our home!Just had slices in my Fish Taco a San Diego favorite!

I made homemade guacamole all the time but recipe is different. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them!! Live in Florida and had an avocado tree, thinking this would be my first summer where I might actually get one and the hard winter froze it :(

Yum, that dip looks amazing. Don’t know why I’ve never thought of turning creamy avocados into a dip other than guacamole. Thanks for the avocado inspiration, Kristen!

5. Terri says

I agree, fresh California avocados are the best! I often mix my mashed avocado with a little salsa for a mock guacamole. I’ll have to try adding some cream cheese next time.

Growing up in California, we had a “California” sandwich that consisted of wheat, pumpernickel or squaw bread, mashed avocado, cheese (usually Swiss or Muenster at our house) and sprouts. It was a weekend lunch staple when those yummy Haas avocados were in season. It’s pretty hard for me to turn down any kind of avocado dip, and yours looks so good!

A ripe Haas Avacado can actually taste like it has bacon in it!
    I love them and like others, am lucky to be in California where they are plenty.
    If you’re looking for different things to do with avacados (the lesser-flavored grocery store ones maybe?) there are recipes to make brownies, cakes and other sweet dishes using avacado as a fat substitute- believe it or not, they’re great and so good for you!

• says

YES THEY CAN! I forgot about that! We’ve been back in Kansas for a full year now and I completely forgot about the glorious bacon avocadoes. Avocadoes are truly one of the things I miss most about CA? Where are you?

We literally just participated in an avocado cooking competition today, so we’ve been tasting many avos! They were avos from Mexico, but still super great. Like you said, you don’t realize how good a great avo is until you have one. Then the others pale in comparison.

Kristen, I don’t think I’ve ever tasted an avocado that fresh, and now I’m very very jealous. The dip looks *fantastic*. And I just bought a couple of avocados for Chilaquiles on this week’s dinner menu. Maybe we should have this instead!

One of my bosses in Hawaii had an avocado tree in his backyard. Hawaiian avocados are about 2-3 times the size of the Cali Haas variety. Sprinkled with salt, one avocado made for a very filling snack … almost a meal by itself.

Kristen, I LOVE avocados and eat them the say way you do-raw with a little a kosher salt or sometimes just as an avocado sandwich with some mayo and bread nothing else.