Spring Optimisim {Recipe: Hot Chocolate Cookies with Marshmallows}

hot chocolate cookies with marshmallows

I’m optimistically looking in my pantry and trying to figure out ways to get rid of all the hot chocolate mix I stocked up on during the frigid winter. My hope is that spring is here to stay and I won’t need to warm the kids up when they come in from playing outside with hot chocolate anymore. Of course, it just got done snowing, but I’m still eternally optimistic.

I’ve made Frozen Hot Chocolate, which is such a good warm weather treat. I’ve also seen Hot Chocolate popsicles , which are on my list to make as well. But what about baking with hot chocolate mix? Surely hot chocolate mix would be a perfect addition to cake or cookies?

Lucky for me, I stumbled across a recipe on Baked Bree that gave me a great starting point for some pretty amazing cookies. I made a few minor changes and the end result was hot chocolate in cookie form with marshmallows… perfect for the hot or cold months.

Pssst – don’t forget to head over to the Giveaway for the Kitchen Aid Pasta Press attachment!

Recipe: Hot Chocolate Cookies with Marshmallows (Inspired by Baked Bree)

• 2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup hot chocolate mix
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups mini marshmallows
  1. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
  2. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, hot chocolate mix, salt and baking soda.
  3. Slow add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture. Mix until well blended.
  4. Place by rounded teaspoon onto parchment lined baking sheets.
  5. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until slightly firm.
  6. As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven, begin topping with marshmallows.
  7. After cooling for a few minutes on the baking sheet, move to wire wrack until completely cool.
  8. (I even went as far as to use my small kitchen blow torch to “roast” some of the marshmallows – yum!)

Comments

What a great idea for using up hot cocoa! I can’t let M1 know, he would drink it all year long but he won’t miss a pack or two :) My fingers are crossed for you that spring is here for good.

It’s funny how fast those packets of hot chocolate can stack up, and then no one ever uses them it feels like. Perfect way to use it up!

Mmm, I love the idea of hot chocolate cookies even though I rarely ever drink hot chocolate! Now I can get excited to use my swiss miss.

4. cupcakesandlove says

i just made these and can not stop eating them.
    i made a few changes to the recipe:
    i added about 1/4 cup extra hot chocolate mix and a few tablespoons of milk as well as abput 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon (i always add cinnamon to my hot chocolate)
    i used hot chocolate mix with marshmallows already in it, and therefore only put one mini marshmallow on top of the cookies (for show). after my first batch i wasn’t happy with how well the marshmallows were sticking to the cookies when added after taking them out of the oven. I decided to try putting them on before baking. they melt just enough to look ‘cozy’ on top of the cookies, reminding me of marshmallows half melted in my mug of hot chocolate. this also eliminates the need to ‘roast’ the marshmallows after baking.
    this recipe could easily be cut in half, as i found it made A LOT of cookies (i’m on 3 dozen, with probably 2 dozen worth of dough left)

just discovered these on Pretty & Fun… just showcased them tonight, and man they look amazing! I’ve already “pinned” them for future reference. Great to discover your blog, too. Happy holidays!

6. Melanie says

I’ve made these two weeks in a row, each time bringing them into school and receiving ravenous review from friends. They’re fantastic! I also added about 3/4 of a cup of chocolate chips. Just with the heat of the cookies after taking them out of the oven, the marshmallows stuck fine. Thank you c:

7. Leah says

I just want to clarify – by “2 sticks of butter,” do you mean 1 cup? Just want to be sure, because I buy my butter in 1/4 cup sticks. Otherwise, looks like a fabulous recipe and I can’t wait to try it!

8. Morgan says

Just made these and they are absolutely delicious! Great recipe! I tried a bunch of ways to put marshmallows on them; one putting them back in the oven so they get a little golden and another where I wrapped the dough around a piece of marshmallow with a little chocolate drizzle (those were a hit) but either way the cookie itself is fantastic! Thank you!