Mathematics {Recipe: Breakfast Oatmeal Pie}

Breakfast Pie

Today is pi day…3.14. Since I am a food blogger, I am going to join the masses of others who turn this mathematics focused day into something food related. Pie day.

Pie is much more fun than the actual math related pi, don’t you think? In all honesty, math is not my strong suit. In fact, when I was choosing my major in college, I based it solely on which track had the fewest math classes. Math and I are not compatible.

Sure, my mom always told me “you’ll need to use math all throughout your life” and I was sure she was right, but I also had a lot of confidence in technology and knew that there would be tools out there forever to be my math crutch. What no one warned me about though is that I’d have a math genius for a son…and no one told me how humiliating it might be one day when he needs help with his elementary school homework and I can’t help him because I am pretty much math clueless.

So, as stereotypical as it may be, Jacob and my husband take care of math homework duty. I bake cookies and cakes and delicious breakfast dishes that takes their mind off the fact that mom is not quite so smart when it comes to anything math.

I’m celebrating pi day with a different kind of pie. It’s baked in a pie dish, doesn’t have a crust, and is served for breakfast so it isn’t your traditional kind of pie. However, this baked oatmeal breakfast pie with cinnamon and sugar is the perfect way to start a great day like pi day…even if you don’t love math, you’ll love this special pi pie.

Recipe: Baked Breakfast Oatmeal Pie

• 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 3 cups Quaker instant oats
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 350•
  2. Mix together pumpkin and sugar. Add the eggs, milk, salt, baking powder and oatmeal and mix until well blended.
  3. Pour into a lightly sprayed glass pie dish.
  4. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes or until firm. Serve hot.

Note – this dish can be assembled ahead of time, refrigerated over night, and baked in the oven the next morning.

Comments

Lol, my math skills are so lacking that my Pi Day post isn’t even going up until 3.15! Well, maybe that has more to do with my time management skills. Whatever. This is such a creative idea for a breakfast pie!

I love math – but then again, I’m the one who gets married on Pi day, has Pi shaped cookies as a wedding favor and enjoys making pi-themed treats for the ‘holiday!’ Your breakfast bars look fantastic, for those who not only like math, but those who despise it as well :)

Oh my! What a great way to spend “Pi Day”. I love the combo of flavors and I LOVE that is is a new option for breakfast! Tomorrow may have to be pi day in our house!

Oh, boy, do I hear you! I’m no dummy, but my daughter’s math homework sometimes leaves me lost. It’s slowly being turned over completely to Dad here, too. sigh… I’ll stick to the baking, too. This sounds delicious with the pumpkin in it.

I love Pi Day. I also love Mol Day, which, if you know when that is, you win the nerd award.

I also love pie, sweet, savoury, or breakfast.

Kristen,
    I am a science teacher ( I wear many, too many hats!) and can you believe I showed up to school on Pi Day without a PIE! But I was given the most amazing piece of Gluten-free chocolate peanut butter pie from the math teacher. I am looking forward to co-hosting the Cooking Connections class tomorrow night- can I get any tips from a pro? I looked at your show and you all gave such delicious ideas and recipes. I like the cupcake in the cone idea and I have yet to do that for my own kiddos- I had forgotten all about that one!

Robin Sue

It’s such a bummer to know that the boys passed my meager math capabilities around 2nd grade. Then again I’ll whip up your yummy bteakfast pi and they will swoon. Love the story and the recipe. :) xoxo

Ahh, the photo alone is making me salivate!

I’m with you on the Pie Day > Pi Day argument. Reason #90832 why I should never be a math teacher: every day would be Pie Day. (Bonus points for bringing 3.14 pies to class)

What an interesting take on the “traditional” pie! Math isn’t my favorite subject, either. It’s a subject that bores me and could put me to sleep faster than a sleeping pill.

Back to the pie- do you think that this can be made with rolled oats? that’s all we buy around here, now…

Great post, Kristen!