Fat Tuesday Food {Recipe: Avocado Fries}

So, Fat Tuesday is here…and after stepping on the scale this morning I can tell you that Fat Tuesday it is indeed.

Today is the end of the fat food around here for awhile… and by fat food I mean the food I’ve been cooking up in my new deep fryer. You know, the homemade yeast doughnuts, the fish tacos, the beer battered onion rings? Those recipes have been so easy to make since my deep fryer has been out. I’ve now packed my deep fryer away after using the heck out of it for a couple of weeks and am looking forward to some non-frying days to come.

I’m not bidding farewell without sharing one more recipe with you though. I was browsing through Coastal Living magazine the other day when I stumbled across this recipe for Avocado Fries. I had never heard of such a thing and knew I needed to become familiar with these little nibblers as soon as possible. If you think avocados couldn’t get any better, you were wrong. Slicing them into strips, breading them and then putting them in the fryer for a few minutes makes for one fantastic snack.

Of course, avocados are wonderful without taking any of these extra steps, but if you just want to somehow fit avocados into a Fat Tuesday treat, Coastal Living certainly has the way with these delicious Avocado Fries.

Recipe: Avocado Fries (From Coastal Living Magazine)

• Canola oil for frying
  • 1/4  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 1/4  teaspoon  kosher salt, plus more to taste
  • 2  large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/4  cups  panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 2  firm-ripe avocados, cut into 1/2-inch wedges

1. Pour oil to depth of 1 1/2 inches in a medium saucepan or Dutch oven. Heat to 375° over medium-high heat.

2. Meanwhile, combine flour and salt in a shallow plate. Put eggs and panko in separate shallow plates. Dip avocado wedges in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, and then dredge in panko to coat.

3. Fry avocado wedges, in batches, 30 to 60 seconds or until golden brown, and drain on paper towels. Place on a baking sheet in a 200° oven to keep warm while frying remaining wedges. Sprinkle with additional salt to taste.

I’m linking this post up to I’m Lovin’ It on the Tidy Mom Blog!

Comments

oh my… those wouldn’t last long with me aroud! I didn’t imagine that avocados could get better, but never considered deep frying them! brilliant… but, only for special treats… otherwise it wouldn’t just be Fat Tuesday… but, Fat Wednesday through Monday!lol!

Quick! You still have enough time to whip up a batch of fried penne. Although these avocado fries look like the perfect “last” fried food.

I remember Paula Deen talking about fried avocado and how they’re one of her absolute favorite foods. Now I’ve never fried an avocado but I pictured submerging the whole fruit into oil and thinking it was strange. Duh? Love your recipe. Perfect for Fat Tuesday. I will definitely have to give this a try one day. Love avocados! Thanks for sharing.

Kristen, these avocado fries are so creative and they look mouthwateringly delicious! What a great idea. I would be BAD, oh so bad, with a deep fryer. Good for you showing some restraint, haha! Thanks for sharing. Your photos are just beautiful in this and every post.

Confession: These will be on our dinner table tonight.

I’m serving them next to homemade bacon/cheeseburgers. Yeah… I know.

I. Can’t. Wait.

Okay… I HAD to give a report:

My family has decided that I should be sainted. These avocado fries are mind blowingly good.

Since I had the fryer going, I made these and homemade Jalapeno Poppers.

Burgers, Avocado Fries, Jalapeno Poppers and ice cold beer = GENIUS!
    Thank you for posting this recipe! It is a keeper!

I am like you. I truly cannot imagine, have never heard of them and want to try them out immediately! They look spectacular – and at 400 healthy fatty bursting with energy calories in every avocado – why not deep fry it.
    Still catching up!!!
    (I haven’t posted for 3 weeks – deep in the throws of planning a local slow food event. Great work. Time well spent, but missing my hobby site, my kitchen, cooking and reading your wonderful posts!
    I hope to catch up soon!
    Valerie)

I simply must make these. I can imagine the crunchy batter, then sinking through to the tender avocado. Wow! I’d love if you’d consider sharing this in the online Get Grillin’ & summer bbq event I’m hosting (it’s appetizer week right now).