Being Irish {Recipe: St. Patrick’s Day Grasshopper Cocktails}

Grasshopper Mint Ice Cream Cocktails

I’m not Irish, however I married a full-blown Irish man, so that makes me what they call “Irish by Marriage”.

What I have found out, through my 11 years of marriage to an Irish man, is that once you are “in” with the Irish, your entire life starts to become very Irish. Green suddenly becomes your favorite color. Gifts for your home start pouring in, many adorned with an Irish saying or shamrocks. When you run down the list of options for kids names, you begin to notice most of them have Irish roots… Kelly, Megan, Molly, Collin, Patrick.

You would think my initiation into the world of the Irish would leave me with an abundance of ideas for a St. Patrick’s Day feast, but it hasn’t. What do the Irish like to eat? From my experience? Ice cream, whiskey and beer. Now you know the secret to why Irish people are always so chipper… it isn’t from the Corned Beef and Cabbage, I can tell you that!

I decided to turn to the Foodily recipe site for a St. Patrick’s Day menu since as much as it would be fun to live off of ice cream, whiskey and beer, some people (non-Irish people, I assure you) may frown upon that. For this St. Patrick’s Day, we are going to feast on:

So, let me tell you a bit about Grasshoppers. I don’t know that this is truly an Irish dessert, but at most occasions within our family, Grasshoppers are somewhere to be found. We most always have a bucket ready to serve in our freezer. The minty flavor of Grasshoppers plus the green tint just make me think of St. Patrick’s Day, so we’re going to go with that.

When I texted my husband at work to get the recipe, I discovered that he doesn’t really have a recipe. He bases it all on the taste and feel of the ice cream, which was a total light bulb moment for me… if he’s tasting the grasshoppers as he makes them, that then explains why he is always so chipper when he’s done making them. I think I want to be on grasshopper making duty next time!

St. Patrick's Day Minty Ice Cream Cocktails

Recipe: St. Patrick’s Day Grasshopper Ice Cream Cocktails

• 5 Quart Plastic Bucket of Vanilla Ice Cream
  • 3 shots of Creme de Menthe liquor
  • 1 shot of Creme de Cacao liquor
  • 1 shot of Irish Whiskey (We prefer Jameson brand)

Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Knead together by using two large ice cream paddles or spoons or use your stand mixer and knead using your bread hook attachment. Once well blended you can either serve or place back in the freezer to re-freeze. If desired, top with whipped cream. (Adjust liquor to taste. For a darker green and stronger mint flavor, add more Creme de Menthe)

Comments

How adorable is that?! I think I’m gonna start having my hubby make them now, LOL. How sweet though…I think maybe you two should have a drink for 2 and skip the family celebration ;)

You can become Irish by marriage, or you can become Irish by moving to Boston, which is what I did. Either way, ice cream and booze is a winning combination.

I actually look forward to a big pot of corn beef and cabbage simmering on the stove once a year. But something tells me I’m REALLY going to look forward to one of these cocktails, too! ;)

That sounds like a great recipe. I think I might have to try in memory of my Grandpa who passed away four years ago. I think he would be proud.

Love, love Grasshoppers! One of my very favorite special drinks and I didn’t know how to make them. Thank you for sharing.

I am Sicilian By Marriage! I may be turning into my husbands little Sicilian Grandma! Ha!

I publish an online women’s magazine, called Mermaids of the Lake. (also a blog of the same name) We have a recipe section on our e-zine and I would love to use feature this recipe with a link to you. Please let me know if I can…

LOVE this. It reminds me of the first time (and last) that I snuck a sip of my mom’s grasshopper drink. BTW, I am so honored to be in this month’s YUM Food & Fun for Kids next to your recipes and photos. :)

Oh, this looks delightful!! I might have to make this for a little St. Patrick’s Day treat for my fiance. We need to celebrate in some way, right?! I love this!

Thanks for the other Irish links, too! My father is first generation Canadian from Irish decent, yet I have learned nothing of the cuisine throughout my life. I am trying to learn.
    I have been neck deep in the throws of planning a local food conference here within slow food and have not posted for three weeks. Important work. Time well spent: BUT…I have not read, written, cooked and I miss my life and reading great posts like this!
    I am catching up slowly!
    Valerie