Super Bowl Bar Food {Recipe: Classic Fish & Chips}

Classic Fish & Chips

I’ll admit it… I don’t watch football. Before my husband and I were married, I pretended like I liked football and would lay around on the couch with him all weekend during the fall and winter acting insanely fascinated by the college and NFL football games. To be honest with you… I could have cared less about the football. The laying around on the couch with him, all cozied up was nice, but the football? Snoozerama. I think now that we’ve been married for 11 years, he looks back and sees right through my “marry me” scheming ways. Oh well… I’ve got him now and he’s a keeper!

I do love football food. You know, your favorite bar type food? Chicken Wings, Tasty Dips, Nachos… all those foods that you are willing to pay more for because you are in the spirit of the game, surrounded by other fans, cheering on your favorite team?

Well, along with football, I don’t really love the bar scene. I mean, sometimes it is alright, but I prefer to sit around in my comfy clothes, munching on my own goodies and not paying out the wah-zoo for every beverage I decide to partake in. A true football celebration happens when I get to cook up the treats, we invite friends over, and enjoy the competition in the comfort of my own home.

My husband’s favorite bar food, hands down, is Fish and Chips. In fact, he loves Fish and Chips so much that he requested that for his recent birthday meal. Since I have my handy dandy new deep fryer, I was more than happy to oblige! If you are cooking up some treats for the Super Bowl coming up soon… (I assume it is soon isn’t it? The blogosphere is all a buzz with super bowl recipes!) give this classic bar food recipe a try!

Recipe: Classic Fish & Chips (Adapted from Allrecipes.com)

• 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into strips
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
  • 1 1/2 pounds Tilapia Loins
  1. Place potatoes in a medium-size bowl of cold water. In a separate medium-size mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in the milk and egg; stir until the mixture is smooth. Let mixture stand for 20 minutes.
  2. Preheat the oil in a large pot or deep fryer to 350 degrees F
  3. Fry the potatoes in the hot oil until they are tender. Drain them on paper towels.
  4. Dredge the fish in the batter, one piece at a time, and place them in the hot oil. Fry until the fish is golden brown. If necessary, increase the heat to maintain the 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) temperature. Drain well on paper towels.

Comments

You just reminded me how much I love fish & chips, however I rarely order them in a resto, ’cause they’re usually terrible. Now I’ve got no excuse, I must make them at home. Good choice with the tilapia. It’s firm enough to hold up well in the fryer.

Homemade fries (chips) are one of our most favorite things. You remind me that we haven’t made them in some time. Might have to heat up a pot of oil for them soon. (And, btw…I am with you on football. My super bowl is my LeCreuset batter bowl.)

I enjoy the football — live, or with good friends who truly get into the game ;-)
    As ALWAYS — way more about the food!

Love your choice of recipe and fish!

we do watch the games but certainly don’t plan our schedules around it; we’ve had groups over to watch the big game but this year we’re going to someone else’s party and the food will be catered . . . not really my cup of tea but hey, am trying my best to be somewhat social . . . i’d much rather have your fish & chips

Great, classic recipe. My husband didn’t grow up in the U.S., so when we watch sports, we both have a kind of “meh” attitude about it all :) But we both agree with you that the food is great! Last year for the Superbowl we went to a friend’s house and I made two cakes :) Not sure that I’m that ambitious this year, but… we’ll see!

I am not so much a fan of football either… :( Only in my situation it’s a bit the opposite because my husband seemed to not watch sports very often when we were dating.

And now….lets just say I have given up on watching any of my girlie shows Sat-Monday from September to January.

My husband LOVES fish and chips…orders it almost anywhere that has it on the menu. I will have to give this recipe a whirl.

To tell you the truth, I don’t like football either. Well, not pro football. We both love college football and wouldn’t miss a Georgia bulldogs game if we could help it! But the pros…not for me. We do, however, enjoy all the yummy snacks that go along with football watching! I’m thinking I need to add fish and chips to my usual list of sports watching recipes :-)

Have to say that I love football… but I love fish and chips more!!! Definitely is a favorite with my crew but have to admit, in this country I only like the version that I make !!

This summer I dragged my family all through Galway for the perfect fish and chips. Lucky for me they loved them – very light and very crispy and looked just like yours!!!