Selfish Mama {Recipe: Homemade Yeast Doughnuts}

Homemade Doughnuts Donuts

I’m not always the most giving mom. I mean, I know that there are people out there who would do anything for their kids… who want the best of the best for them. Of course, I want what’s best for my kids and I want them to do well in life and to succeed. I love them dearly and I would do almost anything for them. Almost…

When it comes to food, I just can’t seem to sacrifice the best for them. The best piece of steak would be gobbled down and not appreciated for it’s flavor by a 4 year old. My 9 year old is only concerned with how much he can get into his mouth in the shortest amount of time… he barely even tastes what he puts in there.

Homemade Doughnut Holes

Why am I sharing this with you today? Because when it comes to doughnut holes from our favorite Daylight Donuts shop up the road, I always peer into each bag before handing them out and save the best of the best for myself. The doughnut holes that are perfectly cooked… not too done, still warm, and soft and fluffy. Most mom’s would probably give those to their kids, taking the doughnut holes that aren’t as stellar. But, I’m selfish and if I am going to spend any calories on doughnuts, those little gems need to be the best of the best to make it worth it!

My kids and I decided to make homemade doughnuts and doughnut holes this past weekend. They helped with cutting the dough and dunking the doughnuts into the glaze. Luckily, almost every single doughnut was the best of the best, so I didn’t have to be selfish mama. We could all enjoy soft, tender, warm doughnuts and doughnut holes without my inner struggle regarding my un-willingness to sacrifice the best doughnut holes for my kids.

Homemade Yeast Doughnuts

• 1 quart vegetable oil for frying

For the glaze:

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
  1. Place the first 8 ingredients into your bread machine in the order recommended in the users manual (Mine suggests all liquid first, sugars next, flour and yeast last). Turn on and set to dough cycle setting.
  2. Once the dough cycle is complete, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a floured doughnut / biscuit cutter, cut into desired shapes.
  3. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until the icing is somewhat thin, but not watery. Set aside.
  4. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack. Dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot, and set onto wire racks to drain off excess.

Comments

Me oh my, these doughnuts look wonderful Kristen! So decadent and delicious, and my kind of breakfast! Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful blog and I’m so glad to have found it. I’m looking forward to exploring your recipes and seeing more! :) – Georgia

My daughter Sassafras loves, I mean LOVES doughnuts. I got her a doughnut pan and doughnut mix for Christmas just so I wouldn’t be badgered by her to go get doughnuts every Saturday (me selfish mama too). We have now used up all of the doughnut mix so your timing is splendid! I shall pass this on to Sassafras a.s.a.p.!

Thank you! ♥

I’m right there with you!! Even though Abbi is only 2, she’s notorious for wanting to eat whatever I’m eating. I’ll save things until she goes to bed or is occupied in another room! These doughnuts look absolutely perfect!

I get indigestion just watching my ten year old son eat! What is up with that? Is it the age? Anyway…do I have to buy another appliance? Your doughnuts look so perfect that I feel as though I need a bread machine. Your cooking project with the kids is a good one.

5. Hilary says

oh my! I so didn’t need to know that I could make doughnuts at my house! ;)
    Btw, you’re being featured in frugalrecipesdaily . Cool to see how connected everything is .

6. Tracy Gervais says

Can you teach me to cook like you? Or can I come eat there for let’s say 7 meals a week! Alli is very impressed ……she said mom…. Can you do that or ask her for some? I see a business in your future!! Sell them at Emily’s with their new coffee ;)

Help! These look wonderful, and amazing timing too–my little guy was just asking if we could make doughnuts, “you do know how to make doughnuts, don’t you Mommy?” Now I do!

Except. . . I don’t have a bread machine :( Can anyone tell me what to do to achieve “set to dough cycle setting”? Do I let it rise –once? twice?

Thanks for the help, and Thank You for the recipe!

was on the farm this weekend and had homemade doughnuts. tough call, the doughnuts or the cinnamon rolls … had to eat plenty of both to decide which was better!

when folks think about hawai’i, it’s usually the beach, the sun, and the waves that come to mind. but what I miss most about living there are the malasadas, doughnuts fried up on the side of the road sold from carts and trailers. you’d go for a saturday morning bike ride and grap a bag on the way home. mmmm, mmmm, mmmm.

i look at this situation as being selfless – really Kristen, think about it . . . you’re saving your children from the calories, from the sugar, from having to run on a treadmill to get rid of all that sugar and calories . . . yep, i’m seeing this as a very, very selfless act . . . in fact, i vote you mother of the year!!!

MOG. you make me want to have donut hole right now. They are my favorite part of doughnut, but what I’m I going to do now 11 pm !!! I have to wait until tomorrow to try it, so I will not feel to guilty about it :(

I’ll give this a try! I made one previously that I didn’t fancy because it turned out too rich, too much butter and eggs. Yours look promising! Thanks for sharing!

Those look so professional (well, of course!)! Now I’m really wishing I’d gotten my bread machine fixed while it was still under warranty. It’s been this massive “paperweight” in my pantry for the past 5 years. Sigh…sounds like it’s time to find a repair shop. :-)