Old Habits {Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs}

Old habits die hard… like my past habit of only eating boneless skinless chicken breasts. I never even considered using any other kind of chicken…EVER. Then, as I explained in a previous post, I made an accidental purchase that changed my chicken loving ways for good. Through one fateful mishap in my shopping cart, I became…a chicken thigh fan.

I know that some of you are repulsed and grossed out. I know this because I was once you…all chicken snobby and selective. Let me tell you something, my friends. Don’t knock the chicken thigh lovers until you give the chicken thigh a try.

The boneless, skinless chicken thigh has rapidly become my favorite choice of chicken meat. In fact, I have a whole bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts in my freezer that I now dread using! The flavor of the chicken thigh is far superior.

From my first experience making Spicy Honey Chicken Thighs to my most recent endeavor with Teriyaki Chicken Thighs, boneless chicken thighs have made a place in our home and on our dinner table. Join the dark side, why don’t you? Give the boneless skinless chicken thigh a little recipe love.. I promise… you’ll have a hard time going back once you do!

Remember to give our sponsor this week, Quaker Oats, a little love. Find out how they are giving back to the American Heart Association in my previous post and enter to win a $250ARV prize pack! Details here.

Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs (adapted from AllRecipes.com)

• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon cold water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 12 skinless chicken thighs
  1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the cornstarch, cold water, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and ground black pepper. Let simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and bubbles.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  3. Using scissors, remove any pieces of fat from each chicken thigh. Place chicken pieces in a 9×13 inch baking dish sprayed with Pam cooking spray. Pour 1/2 half of the sauce over the chicken, brushing each piece so it is coated.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn pieces over, pour on remaining sauce, and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear.

Comments

This looks beyond YUMMY!
    LOve it paired with the rice and side salad!
    Looks EASY too!
    Bet it’s not as yummy as those PINK cookies you made the other day!
    Can’t wait to join in on the SOUP party!
    xo

Chicken Thighs are my go-to meat purchase. But I skin them myself to save a few pennies (and trim the excess fat globules for good measure). It adds no more than a few minutes to prep time, but for me its worth it.

I love your simple marinade, which looks like it would taste just fabulous!

Thighs are wonderful, aren’t they. Some would argue breasts are better. ;)
    I cannot wait until you next shopping mishap when you buy the meat with bone in. You have NO idea how much extra flavour the bone brings to the meat unless you compare them side by side, but think about it. Simmering bones creates lush soup broth and stock. Certainly, cooking bone in is much tastier. Try it. This recipe looks TO DIE FOR!
    I will try IT!
    valerie

Why have I not always been making this? Saw it, made it, loved it, blogged about it. Thank you for sharing. By the way, great blog. Keep up the good work.

5. Kacie says

I made this for dinner last night. The teriyaki sauce was super good! Other store-bought versions I’ve had are so one dimensional, and this was really great. I threw in some sriracha for good measure! I recently started getting bone in chicken breasts, and now I’ll be getting thighs, too!

I make this tonight using boneless skinless chicken thighs and cooked it for less at 400. It turned out delicious! Thanks for sharing it. I will now be in my tried and true file.

7. David says

This chicken recipe is so easy to make, and the sauce tastes better than any sauce that you could ever buy in a bottle. Tastes so fresh and makes the chicken tastes so amazing, You will enjoy every bite. I have a batch of chicken thighs baking in the oven as we are typing this comment right now, Enjoy, and thanks for the recipe.

8. Jackie says

Making this recipe as we speak and the sauce smells divine! Can’t wait to eat the finished product. Thank you for such an easy recipe! :)

Sounds delicious! I’ve recently stopped buying chicken breasts and been buying chicken thigh meat instead! So much more tender and juicy!