Old Habits {Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs}

Old habits die hard… like my past habit of only eating boneless skinless chicken breasts. I never even considered using any other kind of chicken…EVER. Then, as I explained in a previous post, I made an accidental purchase that changed my chicken loving ways for good. Through one fateful mishap in my shopping cart, I became…a chicken thigh fan.

I know that some of you are repulsed and grossed out. I know this because I was once you…all chicken snobby and selective. Let me tell you something, my friends. Don’t knock the chicken thigh lovers until you give the chicken thigh a try.

The boneless, skinless chicken thigh has rapidly become my favorite choice of chicken meat. In fact, I have a whole bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts in my freezer that I now dread using! The flavor of the chicken thigh is far superior.

From my first experience making Spicy Honey Chicken Thighs to my most recent endeavor with Teriyaki Chicken Thighs, boneless chicken thighs have made a place in our home and on our dinner table. Join the dark side, why don’t you? Give the boneless skinless chicken thigh a little recipe love.. I promise… you’ll have a hard time going back once you do!

Remember to give our sponsor this week, Quaker Oats, a little love. Find out how they are giving back to the American Heart Association in my previous post and enter to win a $250ARV prize pack! Details here.

Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs (adapted from AllRecipes.com)

• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon cold water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 12 skinless chicken thighs
  1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the cornstarch, cold water, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and ground black pepper. Let simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and bubbles.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  3. Using scissors, remove any pieces of fat from each chicken thigh. Place chicken pieces in a 9×13 inch baking dish sprayed with Pam cooking spray. Pour 1/2 half of the sauce over the chicken, brushing each piece so it is coated.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn pieces over, pour on remaining sauce, and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear.

Comments

I went to the dark side, too! I was making paella for a dinner party and decided cut-up chicken parts (or boneless, skinless breasts) would be too difficult to eat with a fork and knife (and too dry by the time the rice was finished), so… chicken thighs to the rescue. I’ve made paella many times, but this was by far the.best.paella! The chicken was so tender and flavorful. Yum!

I’m printing your recipe out to try this weekend. It looks super easy and tasty. Thanks!

I’ll admit it… I only get the boneless breasts! But there actually isn’t a real reason for that, it’s just a habit. You’ve convinced me to stop being lazy and to get out of the rut! With all the stir-frying we do in our house, I bet thighs would lend a lot more flavor to our dishes, and not dry out as much in the pan, also.

have ALWAYS been more of a dark meat lover so you don’t need to convince me – and i’m eyeing that lovely glistening chicken thigh in the photo above; would sure like to see that on my plate!

Sounds yummy! Honestly, I am not a huge thigh meat fan, simply because I am not a huge dark meat fan. I have tried it though … and yay for finding a cut you love!

5. Carmen says

LOVE chicken thigh meat, and dark meat in general. They don’t eat much white meat in China – dark meat is preferred (and we are skinny!) – it’s hard for us to understand America’s obsession with white meat! The teriyaki sauce looks delish!

6. Patti says

Shhhhh….chicken thighs are still inexpensive compared to breasts. You shouldn’t tell others about how great they taste! I learned to de-bone them and use them for teriyaki and to grill them in my Foreman grill, and other dishes about 7 years ago. They cook very quickly and have more flavor (and more iron) than breasts.

marketing … nearly always the answer to why Americans do anything!

the most popular parts of a chicken in America are breasts (bland and dry) and wings (nothing but fat). go figure!

I have one dark meat lover and three white meat lovers in my house. The dark meat girl is my 6 year old daughter…she bites into a chicken breast and starts whining about how it’s not juicy. I love that little foodie. I’ll keep on makin’ my white meat though. LOL :)

yummm. Definitely make this Friday or Saturday night. I have been buying whole chickens and using all the pieces (seems to be more cost effective), so I have some extra chicken thighs just waiting for me in the freezer! :)

My husband and I are definitely white meat lovers – chicken and turkey. I think buying boneless chicken breasts is also a sign of how much I hate to debone meat! These look delicious though, I might get the thighs to try them!

I think both work best for different recipes. Thighs are definitely juicier. Often, when frying chicken, by the time the exterior hits the right crunchiness, the chicken breast meat is dried out. But because thighs are smaller and fattier, they retain their juiciness just right.

Your teriyaki chicken thighs look fantastic!

Ok you’ve convinced me. I’m going to give it a try. I like dark meat from a whole chicken as leftovers to put in a soup or something. But I’ve never bought thighs for the purpose of eating an actual thigh. These sound yummy!

These look delicious. I was like you, not a chicken thigh fan. But while I still love chicken breasts, I’m now a huge fan of the thigh. Especially now that I can buy them boneless.

I’m a big fan of chicken thighs too- especially for crockpot chicken recipes. Turns out more tender than breast every time. I do find that when I purchase thighs though– I like to go somewhere good like Whole Foods and purchase an organic version- there’s a whole lot less fat on them.

1. […] Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs For Dinner | Dine …Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs this recipe will make any non-chicken This chicken recipe is so easy to make, and the sauce tastes better than any sauce that you My vegetarian tendencies fail me when I see chicken that looks as good as this. Brian @ A Thought For Food´s last [type] .. … Access Full Source […]

2. […] Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs For Dinner | Dine …Of only eating boneless skinless chicken breasts. I never even considered using any I was making paella for a dinner party and decided cut-up chicken parts (or boneless, skinless breasts) would be chicken thighs!! omg so tender and delicious when cooked properly – way tastier than chicken breasts!! … View Document […]