Old Habits {Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs}

Old habits die hard… like my past habit of only eating boneless skinless chicken breasts. I never even considered using any other kind of chicken…EVER. Then, as I explained in a previous post, I made an accidental purchase that changed my chicken loving ways for good. Through one fateful mishap in my shopping cart, I became…a chicken thigh fan.

I know that some of you are repulsed and grossed out. I know this because I was once you…all chicken snobby and selective. Let me tell you something, my friends. Don’t knock the chicken thigh lovers until you give the chicken thigh a try.

The boneless, skinless chicken thigh has rapidly become my favorite choice of chicken meat. In fact, I have a whole bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts in my freezer that I now dread using! The flavor of the chicken thigh is far superior.

From my first experience making Spicy Honey Chicken Thighs to my most recent endeavor with Teriyaki Chicken Thighs, boneless chicken thighs have made a place in our home and on our dinner table. Join the dark side, why don’t you? Give the boneless skinless chicken thigh a little recipe love.. I promise… you’ll have a hard time going back once you do!

Remember to give our sponsor this week, Quaker Oats, a little love. Find out how they are giving back to the American Heart Association in my previous post and enter to win a $250ARV prize pack! Details here.

Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs (adapted from AllRecipes.com)

• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon cold water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 12 skinless chicken thighs
  1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the cornstarch, cold water, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and ground black pepper. Let simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and bubbles.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  3. Using scissors, remove any pieces of fat from each chicken thigh. Place chicken pieces in a 9×13 inch baking dish sprayed with Pam cooking spray. Pour 1/2 half of the sauce over the chicken, brushing each piece so it is coated.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn pieces over, pour on remaining sauce, and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear.

Comments

1. June says

Prepared this by laying the chicken on a bed of summer squash, Brussels sprouts and scallions (mushrooms would have been a nice addition) drizzled with olive oil and baked as directed. Served all of this with brown rice and my hubs and 7-year-old loved it!

2. Mary White Worden says

I made this tonight ,only in my convection oven I baked 15 on each side and it was almost to done but delicious ,this is a keeper!

3. Mary White Worden says

4. Claudia says

I had the same epiphany! And I am constantly looking for thigh recipes now! I’ll be trying this recipe this week!

5. Tigerlilly says

I am so glad to have come across this recipe. As usual, I had chicken thighs that had to be prepared, before the expiration date and with the bad snow conditions here on the Northeast, I didn’t want to venture out for additional ingredients. This recipe was not only tasty but so easy to prepare with just a handful of ingredients (that we had handy in our pantry). Tweaks included the addition of 2 dried chilis (for a spice kick) and baked for 30 minutes one side and 20 minutes on the other side. Note, after the first 30 minutes there was a lot of water (from the chicken), luckily I did NOT drain it, because with the remaining sauce and the additional 20 minutes the chicken yielded tender chicken thighs with a syrupy texture sauce that was delicious. Served with white rice and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Kristen, thank you for sharing this recipe.

Hi Kristen, I made this chicken dish last night and wanted to tell you how amazing and delicious it was. I have always used bottle sauces but came across your recipe and for the first time, decided to try to make it homemade. I used Truvia sugar instead of regular. My husband really enjoyed every bite. I used to only eat chicken breast, but my husband introduced me to chicken thighs and that’s my first choice every time. Thank You!

7. Christina says

Just had this dish tonight & was very concerned with the high temp & the boneless skinless nature of my thighs but I still followed the directions exactly to a T. Thank goodness I did because it came out DELIGHTFULLY wonderful!! This is a keeper for my family, our trying to be a picky of an eater 6 y/o son who usually never goes back for seconds quickly inhaled his first piece of thigh first & then asked for another whole piece of chicken before he was even done with his first plate of food. Usually my food never comes out just as picture perfect as the pictures on the blog but o-m-geeee it did this time I was soo happy. I can’t stop raving about this–best ever!! Thank you so much for an awesome addition to my go to box :)

1. [...] Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs For Dinner | Dine …Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs this recipe will make any non-chicken This chicken recipe is so easy to make, and the sauce tastes better than any sauce that you My vegetarian tendencies fail me when I see chicken that looks as good as this. Brian @ A Thought For Food´s last [type] .. … Access Full Source [...]

2. [...] Recipe: Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs For Dinner | Dine …Of only eating boneless skinless chicken breasts. I never even considered using any I was making paella for a dinner party and decided cut-up chicken parts (or boneless, skinless breasts) would be chicken thighs!! omg so tender and delicious when cooked properly – way tastier than chicken breasts!! … View Document [...]