Mall Food (Recipe: Homemade Pretzel Bites)

Pretzel Bites

I have a confession to make. I love mall food court food…

There, I said it. Do you think less of me now? I understand if you do… truly… guess we won’t be hanging out at the mall together anytime soon then, which is a bummer.

I bribe my kids to be good at the mall with the promise of Pretzel Bites once we are done. Then, I am the most lenient mom ever just so we can get to the pretzel bite reward at the end. Knock down a rack of clothes? I’ll turn my head and pretend I didn’t see it happen. Run away from me and head down the escalator? That’s fine… we’ll meet up with you at the bottom like it was totally planned. Have a screaming meltdown in the middle of Ann Taylor? Pure entertainment… isn’t she just the cutest little thing?

As long as we can get the pretzel bites at the end, I’m a happy camper.

Now I don’t have to go to the mall to get pretzel bites anymore. I’m thrilled to share that I can make these babies right here in my very own home and I can use my bread machine, which gives me more time to be a good mother and to teach my beloved children how to act in public. I’m working on it… I promise.

Recipe: Homemade Pretzel Bites for the Bread Machine (from All Recipes.com)

• 1 1/8 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • coarse salt
  • melted butter – not in the original recipe, but a must for mall food pretzel like experience
  1. In bread machine pan, place the first four ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
  2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into eight balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; form into pretzel shape. In a saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, two at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
  3. Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with salt.

Comments

1. Suzi says

Hi! I loooove, more than anything, Auntie Anne’s pretzels. I am so excited to try these out, but I don’t have a bread maker! So I was wondering what your dough cycle consists of.

I was looking online, and I think on average it’s just mixing the ingredients, kneading it for several minutes and then letting it rise once, correct? Just wanted to know. Cannot WAIT to get my hands on these. :)

Thanks!

I am making these AGAIN tonight for our “appetizer” dinner menu. Every Friday we have appetizers for dinner and play games. Anyway, just a tip, I baked mine in my mini muffin pan last time, and they turned out great.

3. Megan McPortland-Lucero says

I don’t have a bread maker or a kitchen aid mixer can I make them by hand? Thanks :) We don’t have Auntie Anne’s in Tucson. This will help my cravings, thanks again

4. Sarah Coale says

These are awesome! We made half just sea salt and the other half garlic. My son home from college helped with the boiling and putting on the baking sheet…it is kind of a 2 person job! Hope they make it until tomorrow for the party!

5. Cylet says

Do these freeze well? I would like to bake ahead for a reunion this weekend (of the 3rd) and want to freeze everything before we leave to the campground! Thanks in advance for your response! :)

• says

Oh sorry – you just roll the dough into the ropes and cut into 1-2 inch pieces. Then follow the directions in the recipe for cooking. Thanks!

6. Joan N Uelese Vaaulu says

Want too make these for Christmas but don’t have a bread machine so will it still turn out if we make by hand?

7. Genevieve Graham-Sawchyn says

Just made these – half with salt, half with cinnamon sugar. They’re great! The kids are going to love them.

• says

I took a chance and used the bread flour. They came out great. Mine are less “round” than yours… more rectangle-ish. I also made a jalapeno beer cheese dip to go with them. Come on over for movie night. My 10 y/o daughter is picking the movie so I can’t be held responsible for it’s contents. There will be a blanket fort if that sweetens the deal. :)

• says

That dip sounds amazing!
          Your evening sounds great. I had movies picked out for tonight and was just reminded that there is basketball on, Boo!

• Kristen says

Hi Judy!
      It is 1/2 cup… It doesn’t go into the dough but does go into the water bath.
      Enjoy!
      Kristen

8. Laura says

I made these and I LOVE them! If I double the dough recipe, will it still work in the bread machine? Thanks!

I am so excited to try these tonight! I can’t wait to see how wonderful they are! They would be the perfect appetizer at any Chocolate Tasting party with a Sweet’N’Spicy Cocoa Rub dip! YUM! THANKS! – Amanda, Dove Chocolate Discoveries