Mall Food (Recipe: Homemade Pretzel Bites)

Pretzel Bites

I have a confession to make. I love mall food court food…

There, I said it. Do you think less of me now? I understand if you do… truly… guess we won’t be hanging out at the mall together anytime soon then, which is a bummer.

I bribe my kids to be good at the mall with the promise of Pretzel Bites once we are done. Then, I am the most lenient mom ever just so we can get to the pretzel bite reward at the end. Knock down a rack of clothes? I’ll turn my head and pretend I didn’t see it happen. Run away from me and head down the escalator? That’s fine… we’ll meet up with you at the bottom like it was totally planned. Have a screaming meltdown in the middle of Ann Taylor? Pure entertainment… isn’t she just the cutest little thing?

As long as we can get the pretzel bites at the end, I’m a happy camper.

Now I don’t have to go to the mall to get pretzel bites anymore. I’m thrilled to share that I can make these babies right here in my very own home and I can use my bread machine, which gives me more time to be a good mother and to teach my beloved children how to act in public. I’m working on it… I promise.

Recipe: Homemade Pretzel Bites for the Bread Machine (from All Recipes.com)

• 1 1/8 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • coarse salt
  • melted butter – not in the original recipe, but a must for mall food pretzel like experience
  1. In bread machine pan, place the first four ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
  2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into eight balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; form into pretzel shape. In a saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, two at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
  3. Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with salt.

Comments

I have never had pretzel bites. And now I’m feeling like I’ve really missed out on something! My daughters love their big pretzel twists – I’ll have to seek out the bites next time we’re at the mall. Or buy a bread machine…yours look awesome!

I love this recipe. My son begs to go to the mall just to have pretzels, so now I have another excuse to pull out my clunky ol’ bread machine.

And for the record, I would totally race down the escalator with you for some pretzel bites. :)

Thank you for sharing this recipe. These babies got gobbled up so fast I was only able to get two pictures. Question: In your picture, you have bites, but in your recipe it seems as if you’re making traditionally shaped pretzles. How many bites were you able to make with your recipe. I was able to make about 40 rounds. Thanks for sharing. What a great idea!

Wow, I love the recipe, pretzel bites have got to be one of my favourite snack foods ever.

Also love the whole post in general, is so true though, shame that my kids are too old now to fall for that trick.
    They know that we’ll buy the snack at the end regardless.

But there you go, don’t need them now :)

5. Elodie says

Just wanted to let you know I made these twice now and they’re SOOO delicious! so easy too! really fantastic recipe. :)

• says

Hi Lori –
      I’ve never tried that but as long as you keep them cool (so maybe in the fridge so they don’t rise out of control) I would think it would be fine. Take them out prior to baking to let them rise a bit and then bake them. I can’t guarantee that will work, but it sounds like a great idea for serving these hot and fresh for guests!

6. Kathy D. says

Made the dough once and had the friends make their own pretzels (any shape they liked) …was so much fun! Some people have a strange relationship with food! Cheers!

7. Katie says

Lovely! Can’t wait to make these! One question – these appear to be displayed on parchment paper. Did you bake them on parchment, as opposed to on a greased baking sheet? Would love to see some flawless pretzel bites on my kitchen counter!

8. Amy says

These look wonderful! Where did you get your salt pig that’s in the background of the second picture? I’m on the prowl for a good salt pig.

Love these. I found the recipe through Pinterest and made them this morning. I have a weakness for the mall pretzels as well. These really taste just like them and are way cheaper and easier than a trip to the mall with my kids! The recipe worked perfectly.

10. Joyce says

I can’t believe how great these turned out. I don’t have a bread maker because I gave it away. I used my stand mixer on #2 with the dough hook for 5 minutes and followed the recipe. I will be making these again. Thanks for the tip with the melted butter that made all the difference in the world.

11. Stacy says

Found this through Pinterest and I would love to try and make the pretzel bites. However, your instructions seem to have you molding the dough into pretzel shapes and not bites. If you just kept them as mini pretzel ball bites, would the cooking time change??