Mall Food (Recipe: Homemade Pretzel Bites)

Pretzel Bites

I have a confession to make. I love mall food court food…

There, I said it. Do you think less of me now? I understand if you do… truly… guess we won’t be hanging out at the mall together anytime soon then, which is a bummer.

I bribe my kids to be good at the mall with the promise of Pretzel Bites once we are done. Then, I am the most lenient mom ever just so we can get to the pretzel bite reward at the end. Knock down a rack of clothes? I’ll turn my head and pretend I didn’t see it happen. Run away from me and head down the escalator? That’s fine… we’ll meet up with you at the bottom like it was totally planned. Have a screaming meltdown in the middle of Ann Taylor? Pure entertainment… isn’t she just the cutest little thing?

As long as we can get the pretzel bites at the end, I’m a happy camper.

Now I don’t have to go to the mall to get pretzel bites anymore. I’m thrilled to share that I can make these babies right here in my very own home and I can use my bread machine, which gives me more time to be a good mother and to teach my beloved children how to act in public. I’m working on it… I promise.

Recipe: Homemade Pretzel Bites for the Bread Machine (from All Recipes.com)

• 1 1/8 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • coarse salt
  • melted butter – not in the original recipe, but a must for mall food pretzel like experience
  1. In bread machine pan, place the first four ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
  2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into eight balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; form into pretzel shape. In a saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, two at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
  3. Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with salt.

Comments

If you’re feeling ambitious, you can stuff them with ham and chedder. I posted those right around the Super Bowl time, and they were a hit at the party I took them to. I walk past an Auntie Annie’s every single day, and it takes every bit of willpower not to buy a pretzel (or pretzel dog) from there, so I know your plight!

Oh. My. Gosh.

Love the pretzel bites,but I think I love the post even more. It SOOO sounds like something I would do!!

These look absolutely amazing. Lucky for me, I own snazzy bread machine!!

I actually meet up with friends in the middle of the week so we can have our food court pretzels and coffee. Love, love it! I’ll have to take out the bread machine from the garage to try this. Or I can attempt to make this with a stand mixer. Should I even risk it?

It’s a very good thing that I don’t own a bread machine…. so if I really want these, I am gonna have to do the work myself – which is a good thing otherwise I’d be making these every day!!

P.S. – I know you are a fabulous mom!!!

Ha. I have similar feelings about the mall a lot of the time. Funny how having four of them makes you a bit insane, and pretzel bites really make it worth all the effort.

love your honesty! I am guilty of loving the “mall” food as well! Pretzel bites, doughnuts, and sees candy – all those wonderful little treats that can add up to hundreds of calories! I guess that is why I no longer sport a bikini! Yours look so good that they could keep me out of the malls for a while. Not great for the economy, but terrific for my waist line!

“Knock down a rack of clothes? I’ll turn my head and pretend I didn’t see it happen. “…ahahahaha! Don’t you LOVE pretending not to see something so YOU can get the reward? :)

PS….I love mall court food, too. Hangs head in shame.

I “discovered” “mall pretzels” a few years ago… sooo addictive! Haven’t had them in waaaay too long. Maybe it’s time for a mall visit (since I don’t have a bread machine… yet)!

1. [...] Homemade Pretzel Bites Advertisement LD_AddCustomAttr("AdOpt", "1"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Origin", "other"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_bg", "ffffff"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_border", "bbbbbb"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_text", "333333"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_link", "1c9bdc"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_url", "1c9bdc"); LD_AddCustomAttr("LangId", "1"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Autotag", "food"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Autotag", "recipes"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Autotag", "cooking"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Tag", "life"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Tag", "recipes"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Tag", "homemade-pretzel-bites"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Tag", "lr-stitched"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Tag", "lrstitched"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Tag", "mall-pretzel-bites"); LD_AddSlot("wpcom_below_post"); LD_GetBids(); Share this:FacebookTwitterDiggStumbleUponLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]