Making Homemade Fresh Pasta Noodles

Several months ago, my husband gave me the gift of a KitchenAid pasta maker attachment. To be honest with you, I was excited, but a little intimidated. I’m not sure why, but making your own pasta just seemed like it would be quite the process. I’ve made my moms homemade egg noodles for her delicious and oh so easy Chicken and Noodles recipe, but the thought of actual shaped pasta? It just seemed like it would be more trouble than it was worth.

I’m here to fess up to you all… I was wrong. I found out yesterday that making homemade pasta using the KitchenAid pasta attachment is…

(that says Fun, if you aren’t fluent in pasta)

You should have seen how excited I was when my little pieces of rigatoni were all laid out. I felt like I had accomplished something really huge. Oh…and do you want to know a little secret? It was beyond easy. I won’t tell that to just anyone because I want there to be some big gasp of amazement when they hear that I made my own pasta, but I feel like we’re friends…you can know that making homemade pasta using the KitchenAid attachment is about as simple as it gets.

Oh – can I tell you one more thing? I made an Italian Chicken and Pasta dish using the homemade Rigatoni noodles and it was so good. It may have just been me, but knowing that I made the pasta from scratch just made the dish all that much better! (I’ll share that recipe with you later in the week, I promise!)

What are you waiting for? Get in the kitchen and have some fun making your own homemade, fresh pasta noodles. You’ll love it, I promise!

Recipe: KitchenAid Basic Egg Noodle Pasta (from the KitchenAid instruction manual)

• 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon Water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Place flour into the mixer bowl. Turn your mixer on to speed 2 with the flat beater attached.
  2. Gradually add the eggs, water and the salt and mix for 30 seconds.
  3. Remove the flat beater and attach the dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and knead for 2 minutes
  4. Dough will be crumbly… you may need to add additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the dough takes on a more firm consistency.
  5. Dump dough out onto a slightly floured bread board. Knead dough by hand then shape into walnut size balls to extrude through the KitchenAid attachment. (Please follow instruction manual for additional instructions)

Linking this up to the I’m Lovin’ It roundup over at TidyMom!

Comments

I stare at that attachment every time I walk into the store and wonder whether it’s worth it. After reading this, I may just have to run out and buy one. It looks great. Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, so good to find out you had fun with it! I’ve been checking that attachment for so long but couldn’t decide whether to invest on it or not. One of the videos on youtube I saw looked like the woman was having a hard time shaping and cutting the pasta from the machine as it goes out. I’m guessing it’s the pasta dough itself.

I would be so tickled to make rigatoni. I’m not sure exactly why but the fact you made that pretty tube shaped pasta from 4 simple ingredients puts a big smile on my face. I bet it was tender and tasted great.

We have a basic pasta roller (for doing flat noodles) already, my parents gave it to us a couple years ago. We love it, but have been wanting to do more. I knew Kitchen-Aid made a pasta attachment, and have wondered if it was worth the money. Clearly, the answer is yes! Looks like I need to start planning a few attachment purchases for one of my favorite kitchen appliances! :)

Looks great! I don’t have a pasta maker, but I will attest to the wonders of kitchen aide’s instruction manual recipes. I lost my mixer manual in a move and was heartbroken! The sticky buns and pizza dough recipes were the best I’ve ever tried. Luckily, over the years, I’ve found them online. I won’t lose them again, that’s for sure!!

Oh so cool! Good for you. I’ve been wanting to make fresh homemade pasta too but haven’t worked up my nerve. You have inspired me to make some really soon. I love that you said it was easy and FUN! So cute how you spelled it out in rigatoni! Pasta perfect! Thanks for letting us know :)

I am more than jealous. I lack the kitchen space for a stanf mixer, so I can’t get the atachment. Maybe some remodeling is in order. Or I can toss the adult children out, that should clear up enough space.

I’ve wondered about that attachment. I have a hand crank pasta maker, but haven’t used it in years (pre-kids). I remember the fresh pasta being so good! This looks like alot less work, with a larger variety of pasta. Guess I’m going to have to check out another piece of hardware!