Differences {Recipe: Triple Chocolate Malt Bread}

I dropped my kids off at school today, got in the car and practically cheered. I love having my kids home, but for the past three days there has been nothing but bickering and meanness coming out of their mouths towards each other.

It’s funny how when you have kids, you have the first one and you think you have it all figured out, then you have another one and you realize, “hey… God sent me someone different!” I have four kids, as many of you know, and they are all about as different as can be. Jacob is my shy, goofy, smart, loving one. Kelly is my little mama… she is a nurturing, caring, sweet martyr. Ella beats to her own drum… she is so funny, spirited, snuggly and warmhearted. Leah is still growing into who she is going to be, but right now I would describe her as inquisitive, charming and spunky. 4 kids blended together in one family, all with completely different personalities. It’s no wonder they bicker so much. However, you know what? They have an equal number of days where they get along splendidly… best friends that can’t be separated. They want to sit by each other at dinner, sleep in the same bed, do everything together. Best buds.

Sometimes when you blend together certain ingredients, you would think it wouldn’t be good because the flavors are so different. Then you take a taste and discover that yes… as different as those ingredients are, they certainly blend well together.

This recipe for Triple Chocolate Malt Bread is kind of that way. Chocolate, malt, cinnamon…flavors that are certainly bold enough to stand on their own but blended together they create a beautiful medley of flavors that is so different, subtle and so unexpected you go back in for another bite just so your mouth can explore some more.

Recipe: Triple Chocolate Malt Quick Bread

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
  • 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/4 cup chocolate malt powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup chocolate chips; set aside to cool. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and cooled chocolate; mix well. Add applesauce and vanilla; set aside. Combine the flour, chocolate malt powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
  2. Spoon into four mini loaf pans sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
  3. For glaze, melt chocolate chips and butter in a small heavy saucepan; stir in cream. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners’ sugar, chocolate malt powder, vanilla and salt. Drizzle over warm breads. Cool completely.

My Eat. Live. Be post and weigh in will be up tomorrow…totally forgot to weigh in this morning!

Comments

Beautiful! And a beautiful commentary too! :) I really like chocolate and malt together in baked goods, so I’d love to give this one a shot.
    love,
    cathy b. @ brightbakes

Oh my gosh, Kristen, your bread looks delicious. Wish I could just reach through the screen and cut me a slice. Sweet story about your children….and a very universal one. Was just talking about that exact subject with my sister this morning.

kristen – you had me at malt. as a child I would eat it out of the jar, with a spoon! Love your analogy! And your kids sound pretty spectacular!

Aww I love this post. My siblings and I are different and now that we’ve all grown up and moved out we’re all very good friends.

That bread looks amazing

such a great analogy Kristen – bread and kids! yes, each ingredient is different but when all blended together, makes something fabulous. love how you describe Leah as ‘spunky!’ i’m all for spunky kids – was one of those spunky kids too!

I love how different the four of my kids are too, and it never ceases to amaze me how they can be so incredibly different and the same at the same time. That bread looks divine. I love chocolate malt, so I’m definitely adding it to my recipe book.

1. [...] Recipe: Triple Chocolate Malt Quick Bread hints of Cinnamon | Dine … Related Posts:Oatmeal bread recipe: Flavored with orange and cinnamon The deliciousness of homemade bread with just a hint of orange — made healthy with whole wheat and oats. Excerpt from: Oatmeal bread recipe: Flavored with …Afternoon Snack: Whole-Wheat Triple Chocolate Banana Muffins … Every now and then a snack idea comes along that is so darn appealing, I literally feel the urge to run to my kitchen and …Recipe: Apple & Cinnamon Whole Grain Breakfast Strata Best Healthy … Also, a tip: I instruct you in the recipe to cut off the crusts of the bread. This will make for a smoother, more consistent …Homemade Bread Recipe I love making bread for my family. It's definitely cheaper than buying it, it's more nutritious, and I know exactly what goes in it. Plus, …White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookies: Recipe of the Day … Photo: Julie Toy Today's recipe is a purely personal choice. For this editor, a white-chocolate lover among her dark-chocolate-loving pals here. Read the original here: White … Categories: Bread, Eat, Recipe, Recipes, The, and, chocolate, old, or, quick, to Tags: bold-enough, their-own [...]

2. [...] Triple Chocolate Malt Bread – Kristen’s quick bread combines chocolate, malt, cinnamon…flavors that are certainly bold enough to stand on their own but blended together they create a beautiful medley of flavors that is so different, subtle and so unexpected you go back in for another bite just so your mouth can explore some more. [...]