Salad Dressing Your Way (Recipe: Poppy Seed Salad Dressing)

We have salad almost every night with our dinner. Nothing fancy… I typically just put out the tub of organic mixed greens from Sam’s Club and the family dishes from that. My kids love salad, so if all else fails and they don’t want to eat whatever it is we are having for dinner, I feel good knowing that they at least got some greens in them.

The other night my son was the first one to get his salad, and as I looked over at him I noticed he had my favorite salad dressing and had taken the very last drop of it. I was so bummed and ended up eating a dry, tasteless salad that night. I don’t know why it never crosses my mind to make homemade salad dressing for just our weeknight dinners. I typically reserve that for a dolled up, fancy salad… not family mealtime. Realizing that was about as silly of a notion as one could get, I decided I would return to making our salad dressings from scratch, even if it is just for our nightly dinners.

First up, this delicious Poppy Seed Salad Dressing. It is very similar to the salad dressing featured in my absolute favorite Special Spinach Salad recipe I posted back in March, but just slightly different. With the perfect blend of sweet and tangy, this lovely Poppy Seed Salad Dressing will have you wondering why you weren’t making salad dressing your way a long time ago!

Recipe: Poppy Seed Salad Dressing (adapted from All Recipes.com)

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
  • 3 teaspoons ground mustard (which I forgot to put in, but I bet it is a great addition)
  • 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup canola oil
  1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
  2. Slowly add oil, while whisking briskly. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

Comments

Once you make your salad dressings at home, you’ll never go back to the store bought kind. Don’t forget the easiest Italian dressing on the planet. Fresh greens tossed only with extra virgin olive oil and salt. Whenever I’m in Italy at my relatives’ homes, that’s the only way they dress their salads.

honestly? i never buy dressing in a bottle – it’s so easy to make at home and i almost always have what i need in my pantry. the color on this dressing is gorgeous!!

for whatever reason, organic watercress with the roots attached has been on sale around here. nice change to the bag of lettuce, and because it’s still alive (sort of, I guess), it lasts forever.

got some great ideas from the Spilled Milk salad dressing episode.

Best to you and yours this holiday. Cheers!

4. Elle says

Kristen, did I inadvertently send you a comment a couple of minutes ago – don’t want to send another even if that wasn’t ready?

5. Elle says

Kristen, made the poppy seed salad dressing using the powdered mustard – it really is delicious – we had spinach, clementines, pomegranate seeds and toasted almonds – great salad which my husband loved and said I could make it anytime – and I guess I will be.

Thanks much for your blog which I find delightful and informative and all good wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Successful New Year to you and yours from an 88-year old admirer.

Kristen, Thanks for this article. You bet but decorative Salad definitely make you really feel hungry. More than you are. Nice work.