Cookie Overload? {Recipe: Brown Sugar Fruit Dip}

Brown Sugar Fruit Dip

Anyone out there tired of cookies and other baked goods yet? I mean, it has been a non-stop flow of cookies, cakes, brownies, breads coming out of my oven since November 1st. I think I would be fine never seeing another baked good for the rest of my life…

OK – that is totally untrue. I love baked goods and the holiday season is pretty much my favorite time of the year because there seems to be total acceptance of all day cookie eating. In the summer if you walk outside with a cookie in your hand at breakfast time, other mom’s on the block might give you a strange look and judge the kind of parent you are. However, during the holidays? You walk outside with a cookie at any time of day and people flock to you asking for one. It’s the holidays! Cookies, cakes, candy are celebrated all day long!

There does come a time for balance though. We can’t merely survive on cookies alone. Every once in awhile, it is probably a good idea to throw the occasional apple or carrot into the mix just so your body doesn’t go into shock when you initiate your annual “I’m giving up sweets” resolution on January 1st.

I’m headed to a holiday party this weekend and am going to give my friends the opportunity to munch on some apples, grapes and strawberries. Oh – did I mention I’m bringing this fabulous Brown Sugar fruit dip along with the fruit tray? I think if I brought something too healthy, like plain fresh fruit, to the holiday party, my friends would revolt.

If you are ready to step away from the baked goods for a bit, but still want a delicious sweet treat paired with some healthy fruit, this Brown Sugar Fruit Dip will give your sweet tooth just what it craves!

Recipe: Brown Sugar Fruit Dip

2 8oz packages light cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Using an electric mixer, mix the softened cream cheese for about 2 minutes on medium speed
  2. Add the brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and continue to mix until ingredients are full incorporated
  3. Place in 2 small bowls and serve with fresh fruit

Comments

I wouldn’t say I’m ready to step away, but I would definitely add this to my table. I think a lot of us, myself included, forget that healthier foods, like fruit, are still totally acceptable – and not just in the jam of thumbprint cookies or fruitcake!

I made a brown sugar fruit dip all summer at work with a similar recipe. Instead of the cinnamon, I added the zest of a lime and 2 T. of juice. It was stunning with fresh grapes and apples.

I love dips like this.

I hate to say it, I haven’t had enough yet. :) I’m baking some more tonight. This fruit dip looks yummy! Hope you and your family have a nice holiday!

No, I am not sick of cookies yet. But I am the kinda girl who NEVER craves a veggie! So I consider myself abnormal. :) You are right however… around January (for me) I start kicking into savory mode!

Great recipe!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Thank you! My body has started its descent from cookie cloud 9 into its “blah” mood. I am now craving fresh fruit thanks to your blog post ;) Looks delicious!

I haven’t really indulged until the last couple of days, but I’m already feeling it. The dip sounds great. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Well, I’m not sick of cookies, but I would take this alongside a cookie. Love the the dip-it’s totally new to me and I can’t wait to try it.

8. maureen says

Made this for Reilly family Christmas – so good and easy! thanks for posting. one question, though – did you mean 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla? Tablespoons sounded like rather a lot to me.

Hope you had a great Christmas, that Ella recovered to enjoy the day, and that now everyone is healthy! Merry Christmas and blessings to your whole family!