A 7th Birthday (Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake)

As a food blogger, I have…let’s say, a “reputation” to uphold. When I host a dinner party, people expect the food to be good. When I bake something for a bake sale people anticipate that I’ll bring something tasty to share. When my kid has a birthday, the assumption is that she will have a homemade cake or at least cookies, right?

So, when I asked my daughter, who turned 7 today, what she wanted to take to school as her birthday treat for her classmates (mind you, I’m rebelling and ignoring all of the suggestions from the school wellness committee that birthday treats for school be healthy, like apples or smoothies…) she stated “I want a cookie cake!”. A cookie cake….great! I can make a cookie cake. When she got home from school yesterday and I asked if she wanted to help me make her special birthday cookie cake, she said, “No mom… I don’t want one of your cookie cakes. I want a cookie cake from the grocery store! You know? With the really cool pink and blue frosting?”

So, food blogger reputation aside, I hung my head low hoping no blog readers would see me at the bakery of our local grocery store, and my sweet daughter and I picked out store bought cookie cakes for her to share with her classmates.

Now, if I do ever get the privilege of proving to my daughter that I can actually cook, and cookie cakes I make can be just as pretty and delicious as the ones from the grocery store bakery, I have this recipe from Food.com locked and loaded and ready to try. And happy 7th birthday to my sweet, sweet girl, Kelly. You are truly a ray of sunshine in my life and I love you very much, cookie cake defiance and all.

Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake from Food.com

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour, plus
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Beat butter and sugars together.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla.
  3. Mix flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
  4. Add dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well blended.
  5. Stir in chocolate chips.
  6. Spread dough into a 15 1/2 inch round pan.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Comments

Hilarious – kind of. My little guy wants a frosting filled fake ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins. Go figure. Love that you took such a great photo of the grocery store cookie cake – better yet that your little gal had a perfect day. That is what matters most even when it kills our pride :) xo

she is adorable! Happy Birthday! Kids are funny… and sometimes they want to try the store-bought treats before going back to the homemade (and much better) treats from mom.

3. Leah says

Didn’t Miss Kelly want that store bought cookie cake last year? Too funny! And from teacher’s everywhere “thank you for cutting the cookie cake before you took it to school!!!!”

I understand how do you feel.
    I have a 7 year old son and sometimes I made homemade cakes for him and I thought he liked and I was wrong.
    They are growing and for moms is hard to see the change.
    I already copy this recipe looks so good.
    Regards
    Olga.

5. Sammie Q says

My late husband did not care much for fried chicken and he and my son really liked canned biscuits better than my homemade ones, which really are good.
    A prophet sometimes is without honor in his homeland. LOL

Boy do I ever feel you pain only mine isn’t in the sweets department but dinner :( I could knock their socks off with some wicked homemade chicken nuggets if they would let me. Happy Belated Birthday to your gorgeous young lady!! PS: You can make me a cookie cake any ole day.

Oh, so funny. I bet someone else in her class brought in a store-bought cookie cake already. When I asked my daughter what she wanted to take to school for her 6th bday, she said cupcakes with rings in them. LOL I ended up taking her to a party store to pick out rings and then I was allowed to make the cupcakes myself. She was so funny.
    Happy birthday wishes to your baby girl!

Leave it to kids to have a way of keeping our egos in check. *wink*

I used to see those cookie cakes at a cookie shop in the mall and really liked the idea. The shop is now closed, a victim of the recession. But I always thought it was a cool idea because I don’t really like cake. I see all these food blogs with perfectly exquisite cupcakes and they leave me a little cold because they’re pretty – but just a bunch of fluff. Long live cookie cakes. I’m going to have one for my next birthday – even if I have to make it for myself.

Happy Birthday! Kids are all alike. My son wanted biscuits out of a can, macaroni and cheese out of a box, and a cookie cake from the grocery. Now older he does appreciate the good things in life. Don’t give up!

I am pleased to say that I have no such onus about my cookery. No one expects anything at all and they all feel blessed if there is something edible in the vicinity.

My mom, now she was an amazing cook. And we got very accustomed to having good food at every meal. I’ve still never, ever tasted pie crust that came close to mom’s. Divine.