A 7th Birthday (Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake)

As a food blogger, I have…let’s say, a “reputation” to uphold. When I host a dinner party, people expect the food to be good. When I bake something for a bake sale people anticipate that I’ll bring something tasty to share. When my kid has a birthday, the assumption is that she will have a homemade cake or at least cookies, right?

So, when I asked my daughter, who turned 7 today, what she wanted to take to school as her birthday treat for her classmates (mind you, I’m rebelling and ignoring all of the suggestions from the school wellness committee that birthday treats for school be healthy, like apples or smoothies…) she stated “I want a cookie cake!”. A cookie cake….great! I can make a cookie cake. When she got home from school yesterday and I asked if she wanted to help me make her special birthday cookie cake, she said, “No mom… I don’t want one of your cookie cakes. I want a cookie cake from the grocery store! You know? With the really cool pink and blue frosting?”

So, food blogger reputation aside, I hung my head low hoping no blog readers would see me at the bakery of our local grocery store, and my sweet daughter and I picked out store bought cookie cakes for her to share with her classmates.

Now, if I do ever get the privilege of proving to my daughter that I can actually cook, and cookie cakes I make can be just as pretty and delicious as the ones from the grocery store bakery, I have this recipe from Food.com locked and loaded and ready to try. And happy 7th birthday to my sweet, sweet girl, Kelly. You are truly a ray of sunshine in my life and I love you very much, cookie cake defiance and all.

Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake from Food.com

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour, plus
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Beat butter and sugars together.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla.
  3. Mix flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
  4. Add dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well blended.
  5. Stir in chocolate chips.
  6. Spread dough into a 15 1/2 inch round pan.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Comments

Oh how I feel your pain, Kristen. Little Buddy asked me if he could have pizza delivery tonight instead of homemade pizzas.

Happy Birthday to sweet Kelly. Look at how happy she is!!!

I remember as a kid that there was a cookie store in the mall and they always had huge chocolate chip cookie cakes too. I always wanted one, but mom always said no. At least you gave in and made her birthday special. Someday you’ll get around to making one of your very own (just stick it in a grocery store box) – she’ll never know!

Aww she’s a cutie! Even if she does like storebought cookie cake better than homemade. She probably just wants to be like all the other kids with their boxed cakes. Because this recipe looks super awesome.

4. Nikki says

I feel your pain. I asked my 9 year old what she wanted for her birthday dessert last week. She said sugar cookies with icing. I asked her what color of icing and she said, “No, mom. I want the soft sugar cookies from Kroger.” I was a little deflated!

5. Pat Wogan says

There is nothing fake about that smile! May she always be that happy about birthdays and may she have many, many more! She ( as are all your children) is precious. Looking forward to seeing all of you this week-end!

Oh no!!! All kids do it :( I still remember the day my eldest didnt want a kiss at the school gate :( shattered…. give it a few years and they will be bragging “my mum makes the best…” Having all the yummy homemade treats completely spoils them for commercial rubbish later. My older kids wouldn’t give a thank you for packaged baked goods now :) My job is done…

Oh My Goodness!!! Kristen – I have been there. I grew up with a baker- cake decorator. We get the same assumptions- the cakes must be amazing in both style & taste. My husband doesn’t actually care for the butter-cream frosting I love so much- he likes **GASP** the canned frosting from Pillsbury. I serious get embarrassed to even put it in my cart at the store. He insists on it. When my kids want any store bought baked goods it is all I can do to bring myself to actually by them. I feel like a failure mother- like the world views me as incapable of creating something on my own.

The reality is that no one in the store knows my background of cake decorating. No one cares and especially in this town- no one is judging. It’s my own feelings that get in the way of making things so much simpler. :)

This post really hit home for me. I will be trying your recipe- it looks so yummy. I have more time for baking now than I did before- so the treats are abundant around here! :)

8. Elle says

Happy birthday to Kristen – what a cutie she is – I’m two or two-and-a-half generations older than you and my “children”are also but one year for my daughter’s twentieth birthday at college I made her a 16″ chocolate chip cookie cake and it was a great hit with her and her peers – it was a fun thing to do and I learned how to shrink-wrap in the oven (have forgotten now).

Love your blog.