Around Our Table (Perfect One-Dish Dinners Barbecue Chicken Sliders)

We have started something new at our house that has made a significant difference in mealtime. It has been one very small change that has made a huge impact.

We have started serving our meals family style. See, mealtimes prior, my husband and I would get all of the plates filled and ready before we sat down to dinner. We’d cut up meat, spoon on the veggies, butter the bread…all before we even sat down at the dinner table. It just seemed easier, or so I thought, to get everything all ready for the six of us so that when it was time to eat, that’s what we did.

What I didn’t realize was that by getting the plates ready, I was first of all causing dinner to be rushed. We were missing out on the meandering part of passing the food around the table. I was also taking the control out of the hands of my children. Now, they serve themselves which means they are responsible for taking only the amount that they will eat, knowing that they can usually later get seconds if they are available. They are also learning some very good new table manners…how to pass the food, how to wait until everyone is served before they begin eating and the great lesson of politely asking someone to pass something across the table.

I know it sounds so simple, but this change has truly turned what was once a hectic, rushed, chow fest into a longer, enjoyable, conversational meal. We’ve reached a place where mealtime is finally what I had always hoped for as a mom – a gathering place for my family to laugh, eat, converse and enjoy.

In virtual family style, this past Sunday I joined some  fellow bloggers in “Sunday Supper” where we all cooked something from the wonderful cookbook Perfect One-Dish Dinners by fellow blogging friend, Pam Anderson. If you are thinking Baywatch, switch gears and think Pam Anderson from the Best-Selling cookbook The Perfect Recipe. Pam has been cooking for her family and friends for many years and has created some wonderful recipes perfect to pass around your table. In her newest cookbook, Perfect One-Dish Dinners Pam “serves up dozens of one dish wonders perfect for every occasion and any time of year.”

I made the meal that instantly caught my eye upon first perusal of Pam’s book… Shells and Cheese for Everyone, Pulled Barbecue Chicken Sliders and the PLT Salad (Prosciutto Lettuce Tomato). (The Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats will grace our table on another day.) I’m going to share the Barbecue Chicken Sliders recipe with you, but will only tempt you with a photo of the mac and cheese which has to be one of the best shells and cheese dishes I have ever had. I strongly encourage you to go pick up Pam’s book so you can get this recipe and try it out for yourself. Amazing….

For a list of other bloggers who have participated in the Sunday Supper, please see below the recipe for a list. You’ll get several chances to sneak a peek at the other wonderful recipes in this must have cookbook!

Recipe: Pulled Barbecue Chicken Sliders from Perfect One-Dish Dinners by Pam Anderson

I followed Pam’s recipe except omitted the pickles as we aren’t big pickle eaters. Since I absolutely love King Hawaiian rolls when I use them for the Oven Ham Sammies recipe I love, I used them in this recipe and it was a huge hit! I can imagine passing these out the next time the guys are over watching football.

• 1 package (24) small party rolls
  • 2 cups shredded rotisserie or other cooked chicken
  • 3/4 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
  • 24 dill pickle slices

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Break rolls into individual buns and split in half horizontally. Mix chicken and barbecue sauce in a medium bowl. Top each roll bottom with a heaping tablespoon of pulled chicken and a pickle slice and cap each with  roll top. Place rolls on a baking sheet and bake until warmed through, about 8 minutes. Serve.

Sunday Supper Participants – Check them all out for a glimpse of other great recipes from Pam’s book!
DadCooksDinner.com
SugarCrafter.net
GoodLifeEats.com
LaFujiMama.com

LaPommeDePortland.com

SteamyKitchen.com

Comments

So funny about baywatch as I figured it would be the first thing that popped into one’s mind – love family style dinner. It is the way my husbands portugese family always does it…I jsut make sure the kids have extra servings of veggies

What a lovely post, Kristen. Loved reading about how you made the switch from plating-up dinner to serving it family style. Funny how such small things can make such a big impact. Thank you so much for participating in Sunday Suppers!! (Also loved seeing pictures of your family – your kids are absolutely adorable ) p.s. Shells and Cheese is one of my favorites in the book too! So easy, so delicious. And it re-heats well the next day :)

It’s so nice to reach a point where you can put the control in the kids’ hands for how much food they will take. It’s also such a great way to build manners and judgement, as you said, and even consideration as they have to make sure to leave enough food for everyone at the table. Great post!

I’m so glad you finally found the recipe to your family’s dinner-table success. Family style meals are my favorite—they really empower the little ones to feel in charge of their choices and able to make their own decisions. And what a yummy choice to feature on your blog—you did Pam’s recipe justice!

Oh, this reminds me that I haven’t made these in way too long. I like to toss boneless chicken breasts in the crockpot for a few hours, dump on the sauce, and then serve them up this way. So simple and soooo yummy!

Making these tonight! :)

That is really a great idea! I need to do that more often than I do. We often fill the plates so we aren’t dirtying up serving dishes every night… but, I do like the family style serving because it teaches them manners and to figure out what the right portion size is for how hungry they are.

I really wanted to make the BBQ sliders and shells and cheese, I was so torn! That all looks amazing, it is definitely up next on our list :-) And I love dinner family style! My kids are a little bit young still, but that is how I crew up as well and I loved it!!

My kids are 13, 11, and 7, and I am just NOW realizing how important this is… to have them serve themselves and decide how much food they want. My tendency to want to control everything has kept me serving them all of these years… but really, I don’t want anyone else deciding for me how much I eat. Why would they?

Those sliders are a GREAT idea! Especially nights when we have basketball, soccer, and Girl Scouts. Thanks!

• says

Sugar Mama – You know where I got the idea (besides the fact that it was how my mom did things growing up)? Preschool! My daughters class serves their snack at break family style. When I thought about us doing it as a family I thought for sure it wouldn’t work, but it has and it has been life changing!!

1. […] DineAndDish.net Did you like this? Please share it:Tweet This entry was posted in Dazzle & Delight, Delish Dishes, Desserts, Entertaining, Greek, Main Dishes, The Silver Lining and tagged baklava, beans, Lamb, Pam Anderson, parmesan, Perfect One-Dish Dinners, phyllo, pistachio, recipe, sunday supper. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL. « Turkey Black Bean Chili […]

2. […] DadCooksDinner.com RecipeGirl.com ArtofGlutenFreeBaking.com KitchenGadgetGirl.com MyBakingAddiction.com Wenderly.com BluebonnetsandBrownies.com TheSensitivePantry.com WhatsCookingBlog.com TwoPeasandTheirPod.com WhatsGabyCooking.com Bellalimento.com SmithBites.com MyFavoriteEverything.com FoodForMyFamily.com SavoringTheThyme.com Ivoryhut.com DineAndDish.net […]

3. […] Kristen, I’m so impressed with your shift from fixed plates to family meal and all the good things it’s doing for your mealtime. When Maggy and Sharon were about your kids’ ages, we started serving in courses—salad and then main course—which had a similar affect on our family dinners. […]

4. […] Kristen, I’m so impressed with your shift from fixed plates to family meal and all the good things it’s doing for your mealtime. When Maggy and Sharon were about your kids’ ages, we started serving in courses—salad and then main course—which had a similar affect on our family dinners. […]