My Many Non-Supermom Capes (Recipe: Big Batch Pancakes)

I’ve admitted it before on my blog and honestly, don’t have to say this outloud because it is very clear to those who know me that I am not “Supermom”. Supermom has never been one of the cape’s hanging in my closet. I have plenty of the “forget to pick your child up from preschool” mom capes and “lock your keys in the car with your kids in it” mom capes, but no supermom capes. Oh, and how could I forget my favorite cape… “Your kid is yelling out curse words in Target” cape. That’s my favorite. Oh yeah.

It is funny to me how something as simple as making a big batch of pancakes, flash freezing them in the freezer, and then heating them up for a hot breakfast for the kids on a busy school morning makes me feel like I could at least have part of the “supermom” cape. I know… it isn’t anything huge, feeding your kids pancakes for breakfast. Sometimes, however, it is that little extra effort that pushes you into the category of actually feeling like you have your act together for once. Days where I feel frazzled to get all 5 of us ready and out the door by the time the school bell rings, having a hot breakfast for them makes me feel a bit like “supermom”. Do you think I can maybe trade the “ooops….I forgot to feed my kids breakfast this morning, here have these smooshed up graham crackers that have been in the diaper bag for six months” cape for an “occasionally when the stars all align I seem to have my act together” cape? Yeah… alright. I didn’t think so.

Big Batch Pancakes

Makes: 30 Pancakes

4 cups all-purpose flour
8 Tbs sugar
8 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 eggs
4 cups milk
1 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla

1. Heat your pan or griddle to medium low heat.
  2. Combine all of the dry ingredients and mix together. Next, add in the liquids and eggs. Mix until smooth.
  3. Pour the mix onto the griddle by scant 1/3 cup. When bubbles form on top, turn over and cook until golden.
  4. To flash freeze pancakes allow to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, place pancakes, 6 at a time, on a large cookie sheet. Put them in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove and place in an air tight storage container or freezer bag and put back into freezer until ready to use. Continue until all pancakes have been “flash frozen”. Why flash freeze? Why not skip that step and just stick them in the freezer?  Flash freezing each pancake individually allows you to stack them after wards for storage without each pancake sticking to each other. That way, of you want to take out 1 pancake or 5, you can grab them each individually without worrying about breaking and sticking.

Comments

So sorry to hear about your freezer! The good news is – pancakes are the perfect food for breakfast, lunch, dinner, early snack, afternoon snack, midnight snack…

You wear that Supermom cape, woman. I think a mom automatically qualifies as super. And I totally agree; a hot breakfast on a weekday morning is one of those things that creates a really special culture in your family. Totally worth the effort, flash-freezing or not.

Brill-iant!! Totally brilliant. ‘Big batch’ of anything catches my attention these days, but making a home made meal, freezing and having it ready for chaotic days tops my list of ‘must reads’. Thanks for the tip and idea. (wonder if it works as well with bisquick pancakes, because I make no other – ha, ha. I will give it a go and see!)

You know, we never did this. My dad always made pancakes or waffles on Saturday and then honey buns (oh my how horrid!) on Sunday. However, I think freezing them is a great idea! I made waffles with my new thrift store $5 Krups waffle maker and froze the leftovers. It was so nice to be able to just pull one out the other day when I got home from call and just needed something quick. yes!!!

You are superwoman with this giant stack of pancakes! Gosh, I want to be your kid. My kids want you to be their mom. Love your idea of doing the quick cook & the quick freeze. This is the only way to do frozen pancakes. Girl, you rock!! xo

I want to frame that top photo!! It’s brilliant – and fairly accurate as to how many pancakes we go through in a week around here.

I’m adding this to my weekend link love. Thanks for the inspiration for those weekday mornings!

I love that picture!! And I love that if I make 30 pancakes, we might have enough leftover to freeze! Other SuperMom capes..”My child is wearing 2 different shoes & they both happen to be for the left foot.” cape or “Why didn’t you tell me that you had homework before we were walking out the door??” cape. It would be great to have my kids toast their own pre-frozen pancakes so I could finish drinking my coffee while it’s hot.

How about a “this woman deserves a month at a spa on Nantucket island” cape? I am utterly amazed by all that you do. I don’t think I could do it. And the pancakes…you can freeze pancakes? Incredible photos…taken by an incredible woman.