Mushysqushy Bananas (Recipe: Baked Banana Crumble)

Oven Baked Banana Crumble Dessert Recipe

Trying to decode the magic formula for the number of bananas to buy has always been a mystery for me. When I bring bananas home from the store, one of two things will happen:

1. The bananas are gobbled up, that very day, and we are out of bananas for the rest of the week
  2. The bananas sit, untouched, for a week in which they then turn bad

There is no happy medium for banana eating at our house. It is always either all of nothing. Luckily, someone out there invented lovely desserts to create when the bananas are no longer pretty and as my four year old says “Ewwww – it’s all mushysqushy”. When bananas get “mushysqushy” there are plenty of desserts to turn an old, ripe banana into something delicious. Banana Bars, Banana Bread, Banana Ice Cream (from Kitchen Parade)…or get this brilliant stroke of genius…Banana Bread Ice Cream (by Guilty Kitchen).

A couple of weeks ago I had the “mushysqushy” banana dilemma and some cute little new ramekins from Pier 1 Imports, so I thought… how about a banana crumble? If you have the “mushysqushy” banana issue and are tired of breads, cakes, cookies and muffins, I can highly recommend this delicious Baked Banana Crumble recipe. It tastes like a warm banana pie. And, the next time your kids reach for a fresh from the store banana, you’ll stop them immediately… you’ll want your bananas to get “mushysqushy” so you can make this delicious banana dessert recipe again!

Truth is, you don’t want your bananas for this recipe to be incredibly “mushysqushy”… just a tad bit “mushysqushy”. On the very early side of “mushysqushy”. Got it?

Individual Oven Baked Banana Crumble Dessert

4 ripe, “kind of mushysqushy” bananas, peeled
3/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, in 6 pieces

Combine orange juice and vanilla; reserve. Slice bananas lengthwise and place cut side up in four buttered baking dishes. Combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, nutmeg and salt. Add butter. Using a pastry blender or two knives, blend until mixture resembles small peas. Drizzle bananas with orange juice. Spoon crumble mixture over fruit. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Comments

I have major banana issues because we’re a household of 2! I can’t buy just enough bananas for the 2 of us, so I always have mushysqushy bananas hangin’ around! Thanks for sharing this :)

What a great idea! We have exactly that same problem with bananas in our house. And I don’t eat them when they’ve lost that last bit of green. I like them a little tart.. so it really shortens the banana eating availability in our house.

I can totally do this Kristen. This is my kind of dessert. And I LOVE those ramekins. Haven’t been to Pier 1 in a long time and that’s prob a good thing.

I’ve always got bananas hanging around… same problem though, some weeks they disappear (usually when I want them to get mushysqusy – love that!)… then when I want them eaten, I start looking for ideas on what I can make with them. This recipe looks like a perfect way to enjoy them. :)

Yum! I love this dessert. It’s a year-round one too. I bet kids adore it. My grandmother always dumped some bananas in leftover pie crust scraps and baked them in little tarts. Delish.

I am super picky about my bananas and only like them when they are JUST past green. A split second longer and I’m done with them. These look like the perfect solution to my problem! Even though I love banana bread, variety IS the spice of life!

Kristen, we too have the same dilemma in our house! Love the idea of this dessert…sounds amazing. What is it with bananas anyway? I can never figure out how many to buy. Now I know what to do with them when not eaten :) Have a wonderful weekend. xo

Oh my gosh, we have the same problem in our house! I’ll be keeping this recipe in mind the next time I see them beginning to languish on the counter. :-)

Sounds wonderful :) I have that same problem… I don’t really think about the bananas sitting in my fruit basket, until it’s too late to eat them. Do you freeze your mashed bananas? The mashed stuff freezes well- I just premeasure and bag it.

I am TOTALLY the same way with bananas!! We either run out too soon or they get horribly bad. I TRY to buy a mix of ripe, almost ripe, and not at all ripe, but it never works :( This? Looks fabulous!!

You are so right!!! There really is a system to deciding how many bananas to get, I completely relate! But as you said when we overbuy, or our family under eats our projected banana consumption for the week…that gives us the perfect opportunity for numerous banana delights including this one! Yum!!!!

1. […] the amount of baking soda with more baking powder…it will work perfectlyPowered by Yahoo! AnswersSteven asks…Looking for simple BANANA desert recipe?Im new in cooking. Looking for some simple ban…n cooking. Looking for some simple banana desert recipe (e.g muffin). Any idea ?Andy answers:There […]