“Getting” Blogging (Recipe: Snickerdoodle Cookies)

A few weeks ago, after returning from my trip to New York (which I will blog about soon!) my husband said, “You know… I feel like you are a part of this whole other life that I just don’t even get.” He was referring to the blogging life. How many of you have experienced this same sentiment with friends and loved ones? They don’t understand what we do, why we do it, the purpose, etc. I’ve been blogging for quite some time now and my husband still has a difficult time grasping the whole blogging world. He likes that I do it. He appreciates that it is an outlet for me, but he still doesn’t “get it”.

I’ll be honest… I can probably count on two hands the number of times he has read Dine & Dish. Just a very small part of my side of the family reads my blog but I’m pretty sure his side of the family doesn’t. They watch me as we have dinners taking pictures of food and things, but I don’t think many of our family members really get it. That’s fine… it’s not something everyone is going to understand.

This is why I was intrigued the other day when Nick got off the phone with his dad and said “My dad has a surprise for you!” Nick was giddy… I was clueless. What could his dad possible have for me? Then Nick said, “You’ll be thrilled… it has to do with your blog.” Huh? I didn’t even really think his dad knew I had a blog. Now I was really curious.

Well, we went to visit his family in Iowa this weekend and walked in the door around midnight. Nick and his dad quickly went to the garage and then Nick came back out and summoned me to go to the garage. I went and when I opened the door I saw the most beautiful, beat up old barn door. A barn door that can easily be distressed even more and turned into a table top. A table top that can be easily used for food photography photos. Yep… I was pretty thrilled. When I wasn’t noticing, Nick and his dad were working hard to “get” what I do and had been on the search for old barnwood.

So, just when you think your “people” don’t get you, think you are bizarre, and question what you do and why you do it, just wait. Pretty soon they’ll observe enough, ever so silently, to realize where your passions are and do whatever they can to support you in their own little way. Just wait.

Snickerdoodle Cookies (from Beth Sigworth on AllRecipes)

I know that people claim all the time to have “the best” this cookie or that cookie. Beth’s recipe here is truly the BEST Snickerdoodle cookie recipe I’ve tried. I lowered the bake time to 8 minutes and they came out soft, chewy and tender. Yum!

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
  3. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

If you love Snickerdoodle’s like we do, you’ll love these recipes too!

Comments

I have several close friends who never read my blog. I just don’t get it. If they had blogs, I know I’d check in on a regular basis. Funny how some just don’t have any interest. I still love ‘em, though. On the other hand, my husband is one of my greatest fans. Guess that’s all that matters, huh?

BTW, your snickerdoodle bars are THE BEST! I’ve made them several times and they always get huge compliments. Guess I’ll have to try these, though. Sometimes you just have to have a cookie. Or two. ;)

I know my husband doesn’t get the blogging. He tries to be supportive but I can sense the impatience when I tell him I need to get some pictures before we eat. It’s a bit of a joke to him. What he IS supportive of is the way I am playing with ingredients to make a lot of low carb foods. He doesn’t have the blood sugar issues that I have, but he never complains when I tinker with recipes to make them suitable for me.

My family and friends know that I blog but they don’t follow along. Sometimes it feels like I’m doing this in a complete vacuum. If I write a post and nobody reads it, does it really exist????

Please have your husband and father in law contact my husband. Because I would swoon over such a thoughtful gesture.

Oh yeah, I hear this all the time: “you have a what???” (But then I’m way older than you!) I give up after that. How does one explain?

Anyway, let’s serve cookies….that’s something everyone can understand and support!

What a wongerful story!! Sigh..
    I am with your on no one getting this world we are involved in, it is fun and something you need to be passionate about for sure!
    LOVED the story…and I LOVE Snickerdoodles…my whole family does…while give these a try!

I just absolutely love this story. I’d cry if my FIL did that for me.

The funny thing is, it’s the same thing in my family… pretty much my Mom & my sister follow my blog, but everyone on my husband’s side of the family- I’d be very surprised if they’ve ever read my blog at all. It’s so strange. My husband only reads it if I tell him, “LOOK WHAT I WROTE!” otherwise I don’t think he takes regular glances either.

Thank you so much for the story, that is so sweet of your husband and father-in-law. It’s an amazing feeling when you realize that the ones you love really do pay attention to something that is important to you!

Oh and by the way, the cookies are a definite HIT! :-)

Snickerdoodles are the most underrated cookie of all time. Hands down, my favorite. I will give your recipe a try! My friends and family are the same as everyone else’s. I always say I write my blog for myself and if anyone else reads it, it’s just icing on the cake.

What a fantastic, heart-warming story, Kristen! How wonderful that these two men in your life were quietly working to do something that would be so meaningful to you. The wood is lovely and the cookies are one of my favorites!

I love this post AND this recipe. I am new to the blogging world (consistent themed blogging that is) but I am so excited about the things to come. My fiance is very supportive so we’ll see where life takes us.

I do agree that it is the best recipe for snickerdoodles– because it is the exact same recipe as appears in my 1960s Betty Crocker Cookbook! I actually just made them for my sister and I put some red sparkly sugar in the cinnamon mixture to make them special.

I found you on Tasty Kitchen today, and surprise! Besides thinking you have a great blog (kudos!) I would like to say thank you for saying what probably many of us “weird bloggers” feel!
    You also just made my night on another front. I have been thinking about diving into the project of making a “better” snickerdoodle than my standard recipe, and I think you just accomplished it for me. Thanks on both fronts :)
    XO, Heather Christo

That is so sweet! Much of my family reads my blog — even the members I don’t speak with as often (like my SIL and MIL). They love seeing what we are doing, and what my kids are up to (mental note: post pic of the kids soon). But that is so sweet that your husband and father-in-law figured it out and came up with such an awesome gift.

how sweet, My little sis is a avid fan, other family members occasionally read it, but how true they dont get…what’s to get? we LOVE food!!! lol

sweetlife

Wow, what a cool gift! I need to employ my family to look for photo props like that. :) A lot of them don’t “get” it either, but my husband likes that I do it. (he brags about to people we meet, which I’ll admit, is a bit embarrassing, but kinda cool at the same time) These cookies look great!

I still remember the first time a few years ago my 92 year old Grandma mentioned she had actually cooked one of the dishes off my blog. I was floored. I honestly think that made every bit of my blog worth whatever blood sweat and tears I’ve put in or ever will put in.

That is so sweet!! I don’t know anybody that “gets” my blogging outside of the blogging world, so I never even bring it up. If I’m going to a conference, I usually just say I’m going to food conference and let that be that. Kinda sad sometimes.