“Getting” Blogging (Recipe: Snickerdoodle Cookies)

A few weeks ago, after returning from my trip to New York (which I will blog about soon!) my husband said, “You know… I feel like you are a part of this whole other life that I just don’t even get.” He was referring to the blogging life. How many of you have experienced this same sentiment with friends and loved ones? They don’t understand what we do, why we do it, the purpose, etc. I’ve been blogging for quite some time now and my husband still has a difficult time grasping the whole blogging world. He likes that I do it. He appreciates that it is an outlet for me, but he still doesn’t “get it”.

I’ll be honest… I can probably count on two hands the number of times he has read Dine & Dish. Just a very small part of my side of the family reads my blog but I’m pretty sure his side of the family doesn’t. They watch me as we have dinners taking pictures of food and things, but I don’t think many of our family members really get it. That’s fine… it’s not something everyone is going to understand.

This is why I was intrigued the other day when Nick got off the phone with his dad and said “My dad has a surprise for you!” Nick was giddy… I was clueless. What could his dad possible have for me? Then Nick said, “You’ll be thrilled… it has to do with your blog.” Huh? I didn’t even really think his dad knew I had a blog. Now I was really curious.

Well, we went to visit his family in Iowa this weekend and walked in the door around midnight. Nick and his dad quickly went to the garage and then Nick came back out and summoned me to go to the garage. I went and when I opened the door I saw the most beautiful, beat up old barn door. A barn door that can easily be distressed even more and turned into a table top. A table top that can be easily used for food photography photos. Yep… I was pretty thrilled. When I wasn’t noticing, Nick and his dad were working hard to “get” what I do and had been on the search for old barnwood.

So, just when you think your “people” don’t get you, think you are bizarre, and question what you do and why you do it, just wait. Pretty soon they’ll observe enough, ever so silently, to realize where your passions are and do whatever they can to support you in their own little way. Just wait.

Snickerdoodle Cookies (from Beth Sigworth on AllRecipes)

I know that people claim all the time to have “the best” this cookie or that cookie. Beth’s recipe here is truly the BEST Snickerdoodle cookie recipe I’ve tried. I lowered the bake time to 8 minutes and they came out soft, chewy and tender. Yum!

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
  3. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

If you love Snickerdoodle’s like we do, you’ll love these recipes too!

Comments

I’m not going to lie… I have never eaten a snickerdoodle before. I’ve seen so many recipes on a variety of blogs… and I now feel like I’m missing out on something incredibly tasty!

Yours look particularly wonderful and I may now have to try these out! :-)

Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies! These look delicious!!

I feel very fortunate, my husband is my partner in my blog. He’s my photographer and reads every post! :)

Oh, that’s awesome! My family’s very supportive, too, but other than Carin, who posts to my blog once in a while, I don’t think any of them read the blog. I made it as a gift to my mom (it’s about her cooking, largely), and even she only reads it if I send her a link to a certain article I think she might like. :-)

Aww what a sweet story. I can totally relate – my friends call it ‘that yumsi thing you do’, even the boy barely just gets it, doesn’t read it frequently either. But everyone has their little time to redeem, like with the wonderful gift you got!

I love this. When they do something like that, and really start to get it and love it, it makes the process all the more wonderful and enjoyable. I have a few friends that read, but I’m always surprised when they mention it or whatnot. Such a lovely thing :).

I love this post! It’s so true though :) I feel like MANY people in my life think I’m a huge weirdo :) But then after Chels and I started in on the Foodbuzz food blog competition, I started getting emails from friends, relatives, and people I haven’t talked to in 15 years saying, “I voted for you!!” It’s kind of surreal. But I love being part of such a fabulous community :)

Oh, and these Snickerdoodles look incredible!!!

Awww, that is so sweet! I am lucky enough to have a huge amount of family and friends that support me….but I also have some that have no idea what a blog even is! My Mother-in-Law looks at me like I am crazy when I talk about it.

Funny thing though, my husband made me a small table top out of old distressed wood too! So thoughtful of them!

First off, those snickerdoodles look absolutely yummy!

Secondly, I am so happy for you that your family did that. It is one of the best things in the world when you think people don’t care and then they surprise you. It’s an amazing feeling!

I think I’m just a nut for anything with cinnamon and sugar, but I adore Snickerdoodles! That’s pretty cool about the barn door. My husband kinda gets the blogging thing but would never think of something like that. I have quite a few family members on Facebook & though they know I blog about recipes, that’s about it. Not sure that they much “get it” either.

There are three cookies in my life and I don’t think I can rank them beyond mood, tastes and pantry staples. A while back I was curious about when and where these things were deamed “snicker doodles” and did a little research. If you like snickerdoodles, it is an intersting comparision. Maybe one day I will try all of the recipes. ( http://bakememore.com/2008/12/29/tracing-the-history-of-the-snickerdoodle/ )

Kristen, this is the exact recipe I use. I have never, never been refused a second taste.

p.s. the other two top three coookies would have to be chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies. Um, add classic sugar cookies too

My husband doesn’t ‘get it’ either. He referred to my blog as “The Family Foodster”. *sigh* But what a wonderful gift from your husband and father in law!! The cookies look delicious and I cannot wait to see more pics on your barnwood!

That is just too sweet for words…in so many ways. I completely understand what you’re saying that others in my life don’t get my blog. The look of confusion on some of my family’s face says it all.

I immediately noticed the picture with the snickerdoodles and thought, “Oh, what a beautiful table and backdrop for your photos.” So to find out that your husband’s dad managed to wrangle this up for you? That’s just too cool. And then I laughed. Who else but a food blogger would be so tickled to get a warn, weathered door as a gift?

Loved your post! Marly

Oh dear you spoke my heart there. Sometimes I get this “ah hmmm” from people who don’t have much to do with food in there life. They mostly live there life on takeouts and can’t really understand the making food or the purpose and happiness it brings to people! Here its a whole new world and whole new people. I dont really aspect my hubster to understand. Want him to stand by which he does :).
    BTW I made snickerdoodle once and they really didnt take off for me and i’m bookmarking this one ! Hope to find it !

Awww…that’s so sweet. I can tell you that my surfer hasn’t read but maybe two posts and it’s not because he doesn’t care. He does, he just lets me have my happy spot all to myself the way I let him have the ocean :) I love that your father in law got involved as well. What a gorgeous door!! PS: Great recipe

That is so sweet! I’m right there with you when it comes to people not fully understanding the food blogging world. I’ve only been at this for a little over a year but when talking to family and friends, they still have a difficult time trying to grasp the concept. Plus, they are absolutely floored when I talk to them about the food blogging community as a whole. My husband tries his hardest to understand why I blog and he is so supportive. It’s so cute when I listen to him explain my blog to others. It definitely puts a smile on my face!

That is so sweet!! I love the thoughtfulness of the barn door and the realization that he “got it”. Love love love!!

(I’m ignoring the yummy cookies…I’m in serious detox from all the good stuff! :) just temporary though…will bookmark! :) )