“Getting” Blogging (Recipe: Snickerdoodle Cookies)

A few weeks ago, after returning from my trip to New York (which I will blog about soon!) my husband said, “You know… I feel like you are a part of this whole other life that I just don’t even get.” He was referring to the blogging life. How many of you have experienced this same sentiment with friends and loved ones? They don’t understand what we do, why we do it, the purpose, etc. I’ve been blogging for quite some time now and my husband still has a difficult time grasping the whole blogging world. He likes that I do it. He appreciates that it is an outlet for me, but he still doesn’t “get it”.

I’ll be honest… I can probably count on two hands the number of times he has read Dine & Dish. Just a very small part of my side of the family reads my blog but I’m pretty sure his side of the family doesn’t. They watch me as we have dinners taking pictures of food and things, but I don’t think many of our family members really get it. That’s fine… it’s not something everyone is going to understand.

This is why I was intrigued the other day when Nick got off the phone with his dad and said “My dad has a surprise for you!” Nick was giddy… I was clueless. What could his dad possible have for me? Then Nick said, “You’ll be thrilled… it has to do with your blog.” Huh? I didn’t even really think his dad knew I had a blog. Now I was really curious.

Well, we went to visit his family in Iowa this weekend and walked in the door around midnight. Nick and his dad quickly went to the garage and then Nick came back out and summoned me to go to the garage. I went and when I opened the door I saw the most beautiful, beat up old barn door. A barn door that can easily be distressed even more and turned into a table top. A table top that can be easily used for food photography photos. Yep… I was pretty thrilled. When I wasn’t noticing, Nick and his dad were working hard to “get” what I do and had been on the search for old barnwood.

So, just when you think your “people” don’t get you, think you are bizarre, and question what you do and why you do it, just wait. Pretty soon they’ll observe enough, ever so silently, to realize where your passions are and do whatever they can to support you in their own little way. Just wait.

Snickerdoodle Cookies (from Beth Sigworth on AllRecipes)

I know that people claim all the time to have “the best” this cookie or that cookie. Beth’s recipe here is truly the BEST Snickerdoodle cookie recipe I’ve tried. I lowered the bake time to 8 minutes and they came out soft, chewy and tender. Yum!

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
  3. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

If you love Snickerdoodle’s like we do, you’ll love these recipes too!

Comments

Kristen, that is SO awesome! I would love to find an old barn door like that. Wonderful photos. My family doesn’t really ‘get’ my blogging either, but someday I hope they do. The very best snickerdoodle I had pretty much followed the recipe above, but instead of straight cinnamon, it used pumpkin pie spice. Amazing.

I love it, Kristen! I struggled with the similar issues for a while, and I still don’t think my dad get it at all, but my mom recently figured out how to share my website with her coworkers and even started looking up the recipes she wants instead of calling me. Daily.

The barn wood is lovely, and how exciting that your father-in-law was in on it? Not to mention the snickerdoodles. Drool.

That’s a whole new level of “Getting it”. I had a friend give me a new camera, but props for the photographs?? That’s great! I have to say the snickerdoodles look especially delicious for the back drop.

That is great!! I too struggle with other’s not getting my blogging either. At least my kids and Mr. does, they always “Can we eat/try it yet? Did you take a picture?” lol. I love the table top, I’m going to keep my eye out for some slab of wood, so I can change up my photos too.

oh, I forgot to say, those are the best snickerdoodles!! I’ve been using that recipe for the last 10 yrs or so, and everyone always expects them at potlucks. lol

Thank you for sharing this. I struggle with this same issue constantly. Maybe one day, my husband will “get” what this is all about and enjoy the ride as much as I am enjoying it! Lovely post, delicious looking cookies and FABULOUS barn door!

Love the story and the gorgeous barn door look. Very nice! My son requested snickerdoodles for his next care package and lucky me that you’ve posted a great recipe. :)

This is such a touching story! My boyfriend doesn’t get it at all! And he gets very upset when he wants something for dinner and I say: No, I’ve already posted that. I’m making this instead.

To be fair, I have no idea why fishing is so interesting.

I know so many people who I think ‘don’t get’ it – my best friend is one – she finally checked out my blog and mentioned that she was amazed at how I post so regularly. It only took her a year to finally look at it! I suppose in her defense they were remodeling their house for the past 6 months…
    Those snickerdoodles look delicious – I love how simple yet delicious snickerdoodles are!

I think “Kitten with a Whisk” has a great point– everyone has private interests and you can’t expect everybody around you to get it. It’s good to remember that when, as a blogger, you’re trying to make people understand why your blog is important to you. It helps not to be judgmental (that only puts people off even more, like you’re part of some snobby clique, haha).

Very cute story. My husband often surprises me like that– he’s the strong and silent type, and I don’t always think he is paying attention, just because he doesn’t “talk back” to me. But he definitely notices things and then surprises me with his thoughtfulness!

First up, the cookies in the photo are so enticing–those are one of my favorites!
    Second, how unbelievably sweet of your husband and his dad! See? They do get it. :)
    Third, can they find one of those barn doors for me? ;)

Lovely story, brought a tear to my eye. That barn door (I’m assuming is under the snickerdoodles) is stunning! Thanks for the reminder to be patient with the people that don’t “get it” yet! As long as we all do what feeds our soul, the rest will follow!