My Favorite Things (Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookies)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Image Photo

I have a lot of things that are my favorite. Some things will be forever favorites while other things will be favorites until the next best thing comes along. My favorite pen to write with is a Jonathan Adler teal metal pen, followed closely by fine point Sharpies. My favorite hair product is Chi Silk Infusion. My favorite TV Show is Friday Night Lights, with Parenthood coming in right behind. I’ve never read a book that has moved me as much as The Glass Castle. If I could pick my favorite place to hang out, it would be on the beach of the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  I love too many magazines, but the one that I get most excited to see in my mailbox each month is Real Simple Magazine, followed by Coastal Living. I’m a die hard Nikon DSLR fan. My favorite way to spend an early Saturday morning is baking goodies in the kitchen while listening to Glee (my favorite soundtrack) on my Kitchen iHome. Of course, I’d be wearing my favorite apron while baking from The Hip Hostess. Finally, my favorite child is…. oh wait, I probably shouldn’t go there, should I?

My list of favorite things goes on and on, but there is one question you can ask me that I will be forever dumbfounded on the answer, and that is “What is your favorite cookie?” I enjoy a good, chewy, soft cookie, but narrowing it down to which one type of cookie is my favorite is impossible. I love Monster Cookies, Snickerdoodle Cookies, Pie Crust Cookies, Peanut Butter Cookies, Chocolate Caramel Rolo Cookies. I love them all. And as close as I feel like I’ve come to finding my favorite recipe for each of these cookies, a new recipe comes along and gives the old fave a run for the money.

This is how it is with Chocolate Chip Cookies. I love my old standby recipe for Lisa’s Swirled Chocolate Chip Cookies. To me, that chocolate chip cookie recipe has always equaled perfection, resulting in a chewy on the inside, slightly crispy on the outside cookie gem. I don’t know what made me wander away from that recipe this weekend, but I did. I strayed and I found a chocolate chip cookie recipe that is a very close rival. Maybe not my all time favorite, but a cookie recipe I’ll return to time and time again.

As you can see, figuring out my favorite type of cookie isn’t an easy task. I do believe it would be easier to pick out a favorite child…

Recipe: Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (from The Food Network)

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips, or chunks
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon fine salt

Note – Kristen here… I found the cook time below to be way too long. I had perfectly baked cookies at 9 minutes of cook time, with two minutes of cooling on the baking sheet)

Evenly position 2 racks in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. (on convection setting if you have it.) Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone sheets. (If you only have 1 baking sheet, let it cool completely between batches.)

Put the butter in a microwave safe bowl, cover and microwave on medium power until melted. (Alternatively melt in a small saucepan.) Cool slightly. Whisk the sugars, eggs, butter and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth.

Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon; take care not to over mix. Stir in the chocolate chips or chunks.

Scoop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared pans. Wet hands slightly and roll the dough into balls. Space the cookies about 2-inches apart on the pans. Bake, until golden, but still soft in the center, 12 to 16 minutes, depending on how chewy or crunchy you like your cookies. Transfer hot cookies with a spatula to a rack to cool. Serve.

Store cookies in a tightly sealed container for up to 5 days.

Comments

Yummm! There’s always room for more cookies :) Also, I LOVE Parenthood and can’t wait for it to return. This post reminds me (in a good way!) of these email chains we used to do in 8th grade called “100 things that make me happy.” We’d just sit there and list all the things that make us happy… Something I think is totally important to do sometimes :)

All these comments about cookies and all I can think is…you love Friday Night Lights too?

I had a moment a couple of months ago when I was determined to make a chocolate chip cookie that measured up to the accolades I read online. Hmm, not sure baking at altitude will ever realize those same results. It might seem chewy but truth is, an hour sitting out will see them dry out and be something less. They taste fine but I think our dry air makes that nirvana hopeless to find; so I’ll just keep enjoying my crispie versions!

These cookies sounds amazing, I gotta go check out your pie crust cookies too. YUM!
    I also read the book The Glass Castle. I could hardly put it down. Really makes you think, huh? xo

I adore King Arthur Flour’s chocolate chip cookies. They came out chewy and I love chewy.

I have been trying recipes to see if I can beat King Arthur’s. When school starts and I can give them to my class, I hope to make these and see how they fall next to King Arthur.

Of course, this is subjective. We all have different desires as to the characteristics of the chocolate chip cookie but it is fun trying so many different ones.

Hmmm, favorite child… Well, all three are driving me nuts right now, so I’d rather tell you my favorite cookie! ;) Soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies are high on the list, that’s for sure!

Gorgeous pics! I’m a big fan of Alton Brown’s Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie, I actually just made a batch of them but used white chocolate and macadamia nuts instead of the chocolate chips and they’re super good.

I saved your recipe to my favorites! I love a homemade cookie – nothing like it!

Someone before me asked about keeping cookies freah in a container – if you put a slice of white bread in the container the cookies stay soft (the bread becomes hard) :)

So fun to read your ‘favorite things’ list AND to finally meet you in person this weekend! Kristen, you are so encouraging and inspiring; you’re authentic AND you love Friday Night Lights! Thanks so much for your insight & help in navigating this blogging world!

I know exactly what you mean. One of my favorite cookies in the world is a dark chocolate cookie with white chocolate chunks. I could never replicate the color, and I couldn’t understand why. Until, standing in a specialty store, the light shone, and the angels sang, and I found *dark* cocoa powder. I didn’t even know such a thing existed.

I think all of us that bake are constantly searching for that elusive perfect recipe. Your post has shown me that. Glad to know I’m not crazy. At least about that. And you’re right – it would be easier to pick a favorite child.

It was lovely to meet you on Saturday!

This was such a fun post! I loved all the links, checking out your favorites. I’m excited to try this recipe. We have a chocolate chip recipe we like but they spread a little more than I want them too. Hoping to try this one sometime this week!

I also love Friday Night Lights and thought that The Glass Castle was an amazing book. Have you read Half-Broke Horses? Written by the same author about her grandmother. Absolutely fascinating. Thank you for the post about chocolate chip cookies. They look like they are going to jump from the screen and into my mouth. Chocolate chip cookies always remind me of my mom and growing up, watching her bake in the kitchen :)