Super Simple Supper (Recipe: Walking Tacos)

Sometimes it is the most simple of ideas that makes you slap your forehead and say, “Duh… why didn’t I think of that?” That is how I feel about this recipe for Walking Tacos. Such a simple idea, inspired by a day at the county fair.

School will be starting again in just a short few weeks, which means that our schedules go from just slightly hectic to crazy always rushing around and hurrying out the door hectic. This holds true for dinnertime during the school year too, which usually has to be eaten around the table really late at night or snatched to eat on the go in the car. I will be 100% honest when I say I value family meal time more than just about any other ritual in our home, but as my kids get older and more involved in extracurricular activities, I recognize that a sit down dinner with all 6 of us together just isn’t going to happen every night. The next best thing is a home cooked meal that can be eaten on the go.

No, these walking tacos aren’t the healthiest of options, but I bet they are better than what you can get when you make a visit to your friendly neighborhood drive through. Plus, you can add beans, corn, veggies… you can add all kids of things to sneak some healthy into your bag.

The next time you are tempted to just give your kid another sandwich as you walk out the door to the next event, think again and think inside the bag… Walking Tacos. A delicious and hearty dinner that is about as super simple as you can get!

Recipe: Walking Tacos

Directions:

• With your browned grown beef still in the skillet, add the Bush’s black beans, 3 Tbs of water and your taco seasoning. Heat through.
  • Gently take each individual bag of chips and crush the chips. Once the chips are crushed, cut open the top of the bag.
  • Scoop your taco meat/bean mixture into the bag. Top with your favorite toppings…tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, avocados, sour cream…whatever your heart desires.
  • Take a spoon and stir your chips / taco meat creation together
  • Head out the door with your walking taco bag  in your hand and a spoon and enjoy a hearty dinner on the run!

Comments

Do you think this would work with a jumbo bag of Doritos? :)

This really is a clever idea. I bet this would be a big hit at a slumber party or a pool party, as long as you make sure you emphasize the “walking” part. In other words, “Get out of the house to eat that!” LOL

2. Peggy says

I thought this looked so good that I shared the link with my facebook friends. This looks like such a quick meal on the go. Thanks for sharing.

I first saw this at a school carnival. I thought it was ridiculously unhealthy, overpriced, messy but BRILLIANT! It was awesome! I’ve never made it here because we don’t often have chips at the house but it’s a very cool idea. It would be fun for a sleepover or something, the kids would get a kick out of it, thanks!

I never grew up with these, but have heard of frito pies (only in my adulthood though)…but I love the idea of using Doritos with taco salad fixings. I should try this for my kids and make a picnic out of it with them. =) Fun post!

My family will love this idea! While on summer vacation my nephew came up with the idea of tiny taco’s using “Scoop” taco shells filled with spiced ground beef and top with gooey cheese & ketchup! Young children luv the bite size pieces and it’s a game to see how many they can eat.

6. Hilary says

they serve them at a venue here where lots of fundraisers are held. we call them “hobo nachos”- really funny to see people all dressed up eating out of a bag :)

This is genius.

Also, you know what would be RIDICULOUS with this? Those Doritos taco-flavoured chips. They taste just like a taco! You can taste the lettuce and everything! And this would be… a TACO-FLAVOURED TACO. Can you imagine.