An Old Favorite (Recipe: Grilled Pork Chops with Garlic Lime Sauce)

One of the difficult things about being a food blogger, and when I say difficult I mean that in the loosest of terms, is remembering that not all things you cook have to be new and exciting. It is okay to revisit some old favorites every now and then.

Don’t you find that to be true as you are planning your menus? You want to have something new to blog about, so you fill up your menu with recipes you haven’t tried before in order for you to have some new content for your blog. Pretty soon, some of the recipes you love that you had blogged about before are buried under the pile of new recipes and you soon forget they even existed.

This weekend, I planned my menu for this week but was stumped as to what to have on Sunday night. I sent a shout out into the wonderful world of Twitter for meal ideas when the lovely Melanie, from Southern Comfort in a Northern Life, said she was making a recipe I had on my blog years ago for Grilled Pork Chops with Garlic Lime Sauce. Intrigued, because I honestly forgot about that recipe, I went to check out my very own blog to see what she was referring to. Sure enough. I saw the recipe for Grilled Pork Chops with Garlic Sauce and instantly remembered how much we had loved it!

Take this as a gentle reminder that newer isn’t always better. Don’t ignore your archives. Sometimes, a treasure that you may have forgotten about awaits you!

Pork Chops with Garlic Lime Sauce (Originally from Epicurious.com)

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
6 (1/2-inch-thick) boneless pork chops

Whisk together lime juice, garlic, red-pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking well. Whisk in cilantro.

Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat. Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper. Oil grill rack, then grill pork chops, covered, turning over once, until just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total. Serve drizzled with some vinaigrette, and with remainder on the side.

Cooks’ note: If you aren’t able to grill outdoors, chops can be cooked in a hot lightly oiled large (2-burner) ridged grill pan over moderately high heat.

Makes 4 servings.

Gourmet
July 2007

Comments

That sounds amazing!!! Some of my favorite recipes are old tried and true ones. People sometimes forget those along the way :) I know another lady addicted to lime who will be making this soon.

I can totally relate! I want to find a way to balance the new with the favorites.. maybe better menu planning? Thanks for sharing this old favorite. :)

Mmmm. This looks delicious and the colors are lovely. Grilling in the summer is so fun and keeps you out of the hot kitchen. I like to go back to my favorites from time to time as well. I keep a special cookbook for them.

Oh wow, this looks like the most flavorful pork chop I’ve ever seen!

I agree with the problem with being a food blogger :) My bf hates it because I never want to re-cook his favorite dishes!

I can totally relate to that! I was looking at some of the recipes I made last summer and couldn’t believe it had been that long since I made them! Always wanting to try something new.

This looks like a great summer dinner! My kids would enjoy this meal!!

It’s so true! I often forget about old favorites. I was just going through my blog to make a recipe index for it and there were so many recipes that I came across that I had loved, but totally forgotten about!

These pork chops sound fabulous. I love the garlic lime marinade/sauce.

I am always looking for grilling recipes for pork chops. I will be trying this next time, sounds delicious. The corn looks beautiful, isn’t it so wonderful this time of year?

Hmmmm…now I know what to do with all the limes I have!:)
    Thanks for sharing!With the heat wave that we’re expecting this week ,it’s always a nice treat for me when my husband grills! And I have all these ingredients already! So, no stopping by the grocery store for me!:)
    It’s a Win Win!

I love old favorites too. BTW, congratulations on Dine & Dish being featured in YUM: Food & Fun. I was so excited to see you as one of their top food blogs!

I agree, some of our favorite go-to recipes get lost somewhere in the shuffle sometimes. These grilled chops are so versatile & a great addition to any meal plan. xo

Before I even started food blogging I was made aware that I always cook different things, all the time. And this was not a compliment but rather a complaint from the hubs. “We never eat the same thing.” “Can’t you make something that is normal.”

So I had to cool my jets, which was good b/c I started to remember the great dishes that I had forgotten about.

Chops look delicious!

I’m so guilty of forgetting ‘past’ dishes – always trying new things so thanks for the reminder. Chops w/garlic-lime? Wow!

PS looks like you had a fab time w/Thermador!