Summertime Memories (Recipe: Cherry Chocolate Float)

Summertime… when the living is easy. Or at least it was when I was a kid. I have fond memories of playing Red Rover, having dance contests to politically incorrect songs, working lemonade and brownie stands on 30th Drive, playing Wonder Woman in my underoos. Life was easy and carefree. As I got older, playing outside turned to sun tanning on tin foil with baby oil (hello, skin cancer), bleaching my hair with Sun In and listening to top 40 tunes (which are now considered retro/oldies…am I really that old??)

Even though the memories of the activities I participated in during the summer changed over time, there is one thing that was present all throughout my childhood during the summertime. My mom and her love of Ice Cream Soda floats. I cannot have an ice cream float without flashing back to being in the kitchen watching my mom pour the soda over the ice cream and watching the bubbles fiz up, almost pouring over the edge, but stopping just in time. For me, summer is not complete without our fair share of ice cream floats.

That’s why when Simple and Delicious magazine had this delicious looking Cherry Chocolate Float in their most recent issue, I knew I had to have one. My kids had never had an ice cream float, other than root beer, and I couldn’t wait to share with them what equals summertime to me.

What do you think about when you remember your childhood summers?

Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream Float from Simple and Delicious Magazine

• 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups carbonated water, chilled
  • 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
  • Chocolate syrup
  • 14 scoops chocolate ice cream
  • Whipped cream in a can
  • 7 maraschino cherries
  • In a large saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Cool. Stir in carbonated water and cherry juice.
  • Drizzle chocolate syrup in each of seven chilled glasses. Place two scoops of ice cream in each glass. Pour carbonated water mixture over ice cream; top each with whipped cream and a cherry. Serve immediately. Yield: 7 servings.

Comments

Red Rover! Ah, the days… I remember playing outside all day long with my sisters – riding bikes, tether ball, pretend games in the playhouse. We took an annual family vacation in August for a week or two – it was fun to have some time when everyone wasn’t shuttling off to work and separate activities and explore some new place together.

I remember everyone in the neighborhood lying on foil covered in oil. What were people thinking? What’s more scary is that they’re bringing 80’s fashion back. It’s awful. But I digress. I am a huge fan of ice cream sodas and this one looks particularly delicious. Great photo too!

Oh I’m with you on Red Rover and lemonade stands and Sun In! I remember trying desperately to get as blond as possible with it (I always stayed hopelessly brunette). Chocolate and cherries is a classic combo and so good. Now I want an ice cream soda!
    .-= Hopie´s last blog ..Cherry Almond Muffins =-.

OH my I do remember growing up on many of these floats! it was the “in” drink for us 12+ kids at that time. LOL! you have taken me back! thanks!

Baby oil and tin foil…yes. And I’m paying for it now.
    Sun In must have been after my time ( Guess I’m older than you!) because we all combed straight peroxide through our hair.
    Does any drug store even have soda fountains any more? I think my last float was at a soda fountain. My mom never made them.
    This looks dreamily, summery good!
    .-= Barbara´s last blog ..Fathers and Grandfathers =-.

yum!!!!!!!!!!! i moved around a lot while i was growing up so my memories are different for each place, but the smell of salt water air on a warm, breezy day does it for me everytime!!!!!!!!

This might sound weird, but when I saw Grease as a kid, for some reason, Danny Zuko’s order at the diner stuck out to me. He ordered a chocolate ice cream with a cherry soda, and I always thought that it came in the form of a float, so I always ate chocolate ice cream cherry soda floats (it later occurred to me that the ice cream and soda might not have been in the same glass). My family thought it was really gross and weird, but you’ve provided proof that it’s actually a real thing! Thanks for the recipe – it sounds much better than what my pre-teen imagination concocted!

YUM! I tried this and this was great! Went really well with the Chicken Balmoral recipe that I made on Friday night. As I was struggling to look for a good dessert to serve, this was ideal.