Mastering the Grill (Recipe: Lime Grilled Shrimp)

Don’t miss your chance to win an apron from The Hip Hostess! Check out the giveaway on my Peanut Butter Pancake post!

Show me a kitchen, and I’m right at home. Take me out to the grill and I freeze up without a clue as to what to do with the thing.

My husband is the “grill master” in our home. Like many homes, the grill is his domain. He can cook up a mean burger, make an awesome pork loin, and can even grill some delicious desserts. Last time I attempted to grill, the thing caught on fire and flames were shooting up into the air. Neighbors were running over because from their angle, it looked like our house was on fire. That, my friends, was a proud moment…not!

My goal this summer is to finally master the grill. I got the spark of inspiration by all the ladies tweeting about grilling during the Girls Night Out sponsored by Lawry’s. So many of you gals have taken the grill away from your husbands and YOU are the grill master extraordinaire in your family. That is impressive!

First step… learn how to turn the darn thing on. Our Brinkmann grill knobs melted off or something soon after we got it, so turning it on is a fine science only my husband seems to understand. (On a side note – I think I’m going to get him a new grill for Father’s Day… would love your suggestions.)

Grilling can mean less mess in the kitchen, lighter and healthier meals, plus the chance to enjoy the weather while manning the flame. I’m looking forward to my adventure in learning how to grill. Who, in your home, is the “Grill Master”?

Grilled Lime Shrimp (From Recipezaar)

This is such an easy recipe to put together and with a delicious end result!

22 min | 15 min prep

SERVES 4

1. Mix together the first 8 ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Add shrimp; toss to coat.
  3. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to marinate.
  4. Thread shrimp on metal skewers; reserve marinade.
  5. Place skewered shrimp on grill over medium heat.
  6. Cook 3-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once and brushing with marinade occasionally.

Comments

I am Grill Master Extraordinaire in our home. I love grilling- vegetables, seafood, artisan sausages, angel food cake (my favorite) and of course, burgers of all kinds. All around us, the men man the grill, but NOT with us!
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..wordless wednesday, june style =-.

These shrimp look wonderful! In our home grilling is a joint effort. Ok, well, not exactly. You see, my husband THINKS he’s the grill master. But he also thinks grilling only involves turning on the fire and plopping the protein on the grates. Um, what about flavor? and maybe some veggies? Yeah, those are my department!

3. Nabeela says

My husband used to be the grill master when we had a charcoal grill…not that he got to grill a lot though. We grilled maybe 3-4 times before the friends absconded it and never returned it back. So this year we finally bought a gas grill. I wanna try my hands at grilling too….I don’t want it to remain my husband’s domain forever.
    As for grill recommendations, for gas grill, I highly recommend weber q 100(or the later series 320). I have a couple of friends who use this and it produces excellent results (and it is very easy to control the heat, which is key to good grilled meat).

All the summer grilling posts make me feel so envious. Wish we had the luxury of backyards, decks and patios to grill delicious meals in this concrete jungle! I once tried grilling indoors and filled the house with so much smoke.. hehe
    .-= The Purple Foodie´s last blog ..Mango Lassi =-.

5. kathiey says

My husband & I are just getting into grilling. The shrimp looks really good, we will have to give it a try.
    Thanks!

Shrimp in the barbie is so wonderful. There’s nothing like that crispy, charred exterior that gives way to that sweet, tender flesh. I need to fire up the grill pronto, as you’ve totally got me jonesing for these.
    .-= Carolyn Jung´s last blog ..Three Cheers for Cherries =-.

7. Whitney says

Made these tonight for shrimp tacos….Phenomenal!!! Would never have thought the oregano would be good but oh my it was!!! I’ll send pics!

This looks so delicious! Lime & shrimp flavors always remind me of South Florida.

I need to learn how to master the grill too. I don’t think I’ve even gotten within a couple feet of it. I have no idea how to turn our’s on, but for a totally different reason than you! haha!