Mastering the Grill (Recipe: Lime Grilled Shrimp)

Don’t miss your chance to win an apron from The Hip Hostess! Check out the giveaway on my Peanut Butter Pancake post!

Show me a kitchen, and I’m right at home. Take me out to the grill and I freeze up without a clue as to what to do with the thing.

My husband is the “grill master” in our home. Like many homes, the grill is his domain. He can cook up a mean burger, make an awesome pork loin, and can even grill some delicious desserts. Last time I attempted to grill, the thing caught on fire and flames were shooting up into the air. Neighbors were running over because from their angle, it looked like our house was on fire. That, my friends, was a proud moment…not!

My goal this summer is to finally master the grill. I got the spark of inspiration by all the ladies tweeting about grilling during the Girls Night Out sponsored by Lawry’s. So many of you gals have taken the grill away from your husbands and YOU are the grill master extraordinaire in your family. That is impressive!

First step… learn how to turn the darn thing on. Our Brinkmann grill knobs melted off or something soon after we got it, so turning it on is a fine science only my husband seems to understand. (On a side note – I think I’m going to get him a new grill for Father’s Day… would love your suggestions.)

Grilling can mean less mess in the kitchen, lighter and healthier meals, plus the chance to enjoy the weather while manning the flame. I’m looking forward to my adventure in learning how to grill. Who, in your home, is the “Grill Master”?

Grilled Lime Shrimp (From Recipezaar)

This is such an easy recipe to put together and with a delicious end result!

22 min | 15 min prep

SERVES 4

1. Mix together the first 8 ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Add shrimp; toss to coat.
  3. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to marinate.
  4. Thread shrimp on metal skewers; reserve marinade.
  5. Place skewered shrimp on grill over medium heat.
  6. Cook 3-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once and brushing with marinade occasionally.

Comments

The 3 grills in our house are pretty evenly used in our house. If Dave’s home, he’s typically the griller but I don’t hesitate to fire it up if he’s not home. I prefer the gas grill when I’m home alone just for time’s sake, but the charcoal grill and the smoker get lots of use too!
    These look so good! Can’t wait to try them!
    Whitney
    .-= Whitney Schmale´s last blog ..Visitors part 2 =-.

My Yanni would be the grill master! I’m with you…don’t even understand HOW to start the thing, especially since he just HAD TO HAVE a charcoal one! *ugh* But I’m willing to learn. LOVE the lime shrimp! Yum.
    .-= Wenderly´s last blog ..Empty Nesters =-.

You can definitely become a grill master this summer (assuming you can turn it on)! It’s really not that hard once you learn some basics. From the looks of this recipe you are already there… ;)

I have never been a grill master, guess everyone leaves that up to their husband! This recipe sounds super delicious though, I’ll have to give it a try :)
    .-= Hazel´s last blog ..Mini Frittatas =-.

I’m the grill master in our home…usually because I’m the one planning the meal, doing the rest of the cooking, and know how to time things. That said, no one can grill a finer steak than my husband. He produces perfect filet mignon—better than I’ve had in any steakhouse. That alone is worth handing over the tongs for!

P.S. Try grilling pineapple sometime, for a quick dessert or breakfast side. Oh so quick & yummy :)
    .-= Sandie {Inn Cuisine}´s last blog ..Cookie Love, a.k.a. Olfactory Nirvana (Recipe: Caribbean Oatmeal Cookies) =-.

My husband is the grill master…I hardly touch the thing. And when I do, it’s a disaster. Last week, I decided to grill some brats. I finally got it turned on (had to have a lesson on that). Put the brats on, ran into the house and came back out to find that 2 of them had rolled off the grill onto the driveway and were being enjoyed by my cat. I think I should leave the grilling to my husband.
    .-= Jimi´s last blog ..Anyone can do this =-.

I seriously have not have much success with grilled anything. Like you I can cook up a storm, but lack grilling skills, but this is just too irresistable not to try! Just printed up the recipe, will be the perfect Summer dish!

I’d like to HAVE a grill – then I can get down to mastering it. I’m pretty sure I’d be the master of it since my husband thinks the way to light one is to just douse the sucker in as much lighter fluid as possible.
    .-= camille´s last blog ..Cajun Bean Soup =-.

Heh, at our house nobody’s the grill master. When we lived in DC we had a big grill, and it NEVER got used. We didn’t have the time…

Now in Belgium we don’t have a grill. But our neighbors do, and when they fire it up next I’m going to go over there and throw some of these gems on it.

Thanks !
    .-= Kate at Serendipity´s last blog ..Memorial Day =-.

I love grilling shrimps. I love it when you can actually taste the meat. A little seasoning will do. This recipe of yours is perfect for me. Simple, elegant, and I’m quite sure, it’s delicious too! lol!

1. […] Mastering the Grill (Recipe: Lime Grilled Shrimp) | Dine and DishJun 3, 2010 … I’ve decided that this is finally the summer I am going to learn how to grill. Watch out hubby… the grill will soon be my domain! […]