The Dark Side of Angel Food Cake (Recipe: Chocolate Angel Food Cake)

I’m sure that I am breaking all the blogging rules by posting this on the weekend… and a holiday weekend at that, but I can’t wait a second longer to share these recipes with you. If you have a Memorial Day party to go to this weekend and you are looking for the simplest of desserts that will still impress people, this is the cake for you.

I honestly can’t believe I haven’t had Chocolate Angel Food Cake before. The first time I heard about it was a couple of months ago when my mom blogged about her great aunt making her a special Chocolate Angel Food Cake for her birthday each year. I was then on a mission to give it a try, and I am so glad I did. I made 2 cakes – one from scratch and one doctored up angel food cake mix recipe. I can tell you now, all things created equal, both cakes tasted equally great but I wouldn’t go through the trouble of making the one from scratch again when there is the easiest box mix alternative. I purchased the cake mix for .99 cents at the grocery store and it took me all of 5 minutes to mix it all up together and get it in the pan.

Topped with some Cool Whip or Homemade Whipped cream and served with some fresh strawberries… this is the perfect light and delicious dessert to please your guests this holiday weekend! Enjoy!

For the from scratch version, head over to All Recipes to enjoy the recipe I used.

If you happen to have an Angel Food Cake mix in your pantry, and want something incredibly simple, here is the recipe from Nestle Toll House Very Best Baking:

Directions:

PREHEAT oven according to cake mix package directions.

COMBINE cake mix and cocoa in large mixer bowl. Prepare and bake according to cake mix package directions. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; top with strawberries.

Remember to follow baking instructions before consuming.

Comments

Kristen – I love this recipe and will be trying very soon. Yum! Check out my blog, I gave you an award. I check your blog daily and love everything.

This looks so beautiful! To be honest, I’m not a big angel food cake fan at all, but I’ve never had chocolate angel food cake, and I feel like that would be a whole different ballgame!!

Genius! How simple and perfect for summer berry season. Also great since Angle Food cake is more diabetic friendly. Thanks for the post. You have a beautiful site.

4. Nic says

Really?? CHOCOLATE angel food cake? What planet have I been living on??1!! ? I am definitely heading to the dark side.

I love angel food cake the best over all others. I don’t even need frosting! I like warm, fresh berries and slightly sweet fresh whipped cream. Or I like to slice the cake into three layers and put softened sherbet (sorbet is lovely, too) ice cream between each layer and put into the freezer to feed the masses as they pop in and out of my house during the summertime.

I am trying to wait patiently for the strawberries to get ripe. Now it’s going to be even more difficult to practice patience because I now know exactly what I’m going to serve them with.

<3 Nic

Great favorite! Made this twice now with great success. I buy “Simply Eggwhites” for this recipe and used the recipe without any changes. I served it sliced with a dusting of icing sugar and fresh raspberries for a healthier and most enjoyable dessert.

Delicious! I am not a huge Angel Food Cake fan but this cake changed my mind. It was fluffy, moist and rich. I served it with whipped cream and fresh raspberries. It was a big hit. My husband loves angle food cake and he now has a new favorite recipe!

Simple, delicious and chocolatey without the sin. The only thing I would do different next time is to possibly use chocolate extract instead of vanilla for an extra chocolate kick!

Well, I buy “Simply Eggwhites” for this recipe and used the recipe without any changes. I served it sliced with a dusting of icing sugar and fresh raspberries, anyway thanx for posting.

How much chocolate cocoa should i add to an 18 (or so) ounce angel food cake mix to make it chocolate? Which is the best mix to use? And does a chocolate glaze using only 5 ounces of bittersweet chocolate and half a cup of heavy whipping cream sound like enough to glaze the 18oz cake? Thanks!

These shown in the picture were my 8 year, Kaitlyn’s, creation. After making these, I decided to make another batch but this time I toasted the coconut and left out the milk and food coloring. I absolutely loved them.