The Dark Side of Angel Food Cake (Recipe: Chocolate Angel Food Cake)

I’m sure that I am breaking all the blogging rules by posting this on the weekend… and a holiday weekend at that, but I can’t wait a second longer to share these recipes with you. If you have a Memorial Day party to go to this weekend and you are looking for the simplest of desserts that will still impress people, this is the cake for you.

I honestly can’t believe I haven’t had Chocolate Angel Food Cake before. The first time I heard about it was a couple of months ago when my mom blogged about her great aunt making her a special Chocolate Angel Food Cake for her birthday each year. I was then on a mission to give it a try, and I am so glad I did. I made 2 cakes – one from scratch and one doctored up angel food cake mix recipe. I can tell you now, all things created equal, both cakes tasted equally great but I wouldn’t go through the trouble of making the one from scratch again when there is the easiest box mix alternative. I purchased the cake mix for .99 cents at the grocery store and it took me all of 5 minutes to mix it all up together and get it in the pan.

Topped with some Cool Whip or Homemade Whipped cream and served with some fresh strawberries… this is the perfect light and delicious dessert to please your guests this holiday weekend! Enjoy!

For the from scratch version, head over to All Recipes to enjoy the recipe I used.

If you happen to have an Angel Food Cake mix in your pantry, and want something incredibly simple, here is the recipe from Nestle Toll House Very Best Baking:

Directions:

PREHEAT oven according to cake mix package directions.

COMBINE cake mix and cocoa in large mixer bowl. Prepare and bake according to cake mix package directions. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; top with strawberries.

Remember to follow baking instructions before consuming.

Comments

1. Pat Wogan says

Yep, it looks like the one my aunt made for my birthday…although I know she did not use a mix as they were not available then.

If this cake is made from a mix, then I say to go for it! It looks incredible, and almost anything chocolate works for me! :) I am also going to post tomorrow (Sunday…on a holiday weekend…what am I thinking?!). Rules are meant to be broken! I hope you are having a great holiday.

You’re allowed to break holiday rules for a recipe this good. It really is funny how the bloggerworld disappears on long weekends…that’s usually when I find I have the most time to blog! This chocolate angel food cake looks amazing. I don’t do box mixes (not as cathartic) but I will definitely be trying this!
    .-= Joanne´s last blog ..Tyler’s Guacamole, Chocbite, and Chocri! =-.

.-= Joanne´s last blog ..Tyler’s Guacamole, Chocbite, and Chocri! =-.
    P.S. – Sorry, forgot to tell you great post!

I love angel food cake but I find the boxed mix tastes like chemicals. I’ll try the other version first I think.
    I didn’t know there was a blog rule about posting on the weekends. Those type of rules are made to broken anyway. I have much more time to cook on the weekend.
    .-= Janna M´s last blog ..Better than takeout Chinese Dinner =-.

6. WendyB_09 says

Spotted this just as I was heading out to the grocery store…add angel food cake mix to list…guess what’s for dessert tomorrow!

Thanks for the All Recipes link, I use them all the time & added the scratch version to my recipe box!

Chocolate is the flavor of all time (for me!). Chocolate reminds me with my mom. I really love chocolate and she always make something new chocolate-flavored snacks for me. This recipe is awesome!

I really am glad that you blogged about using a cake mix. I am beginning to feel guilty if I used any convenience food and blog about it. There are many out there in the blogosphere that put them down. Some are bad I will agree, but some like angel food cake can save you so much time and still taste good! Your cake looks delicious and I checked out your mom’s blog. How nice!
    .-= The Teacher Cooks´s last blog ..Gourmet Jalapeno Cheeseburger =-.