Ode to the Cherry Pitter

I made a purchase last night that will forever change my life and pretty much take any semblance of fun out of the lives of my kids. I’m a little thrilled by the prospect.

Let me start at the beginning. My kids love cherries. Every summer, we buy cherries by the boat load and every summer, I either spend my time cutting out the pits for the littlest ones, or I watch and listen in horror as my dainty girls turn into pit spitting pros, having contests to see who can spit the farthest pit. Of course, along with the pit spitting comes the stained faces and clothes. Sure, they are smiling and giggling and having fun with it, but c’mon. Pit spitting little girls just seems a little, well… wrong. And when kids are having too much fun and there is too much giggling and smiling, it is a mom’s job to come in with a neat little tool to squelch it all, right in the bud.

Enter the Cherry Pitter. I’ve heard the praises of the Cherry Pitter before, but I had never seen one anywhere. Last night, with a cart full of cherries and a quick trip down the kitchen utensil aisle of Target, I discovered that Oxo Softworks had a handy little cherry pitter ready for me to purchase. I picked it up and unveiled the fun spoiling plan to my kids this morning.

Let me tell you, they had just as much fun squeezing the pits out of the cherries as they used to being pit spitting crazies. This little tool packs a lot of punch and with the help of my kiddos (because it is that simple to use), I was able to get through a whole bag of cherries in less than 5 minutes. The best part about it, no behavior that would make Miss Manners ashamed took place, and my dainty little girls remained rather dainty… until they figured out how much fun it is to smear cherry juice on their face as makeup. That, my friends, is fun to squelch on a different day.

Oxo in no way sponsored me to write this post. I just am so excited to discover this handy cherry pitter that I had to share it with you all!

Comments

Oh yes! Cherry pitters are awesome, despite how much my friends make fun of me for having one. (They don’t know how incredibly useful they are–silly fools! :P) I’ve got the kind that can pit five cherries at once. Oooo yeahhhh. :)

2. Terri says

Kristen, in Nebraska, the house we bought had 2 cherry trees and the first year we had a bumper crop and I pitted them all by hand. That winter I bought a cherry pitter and wouldn’t you know…both trees died! Wonder if I still have the pitter somewhere? May go buy a new one anyway, as this one looks a lot easier.

3. April in CT says

I got one last summer and I LOVE it! It sure makes a cherry cobbler come together much faster and it’s just plain fun to use. I still managed to make a mess and create a pseudo horror movie scene on the back splash of my sink though!

4. Jennifer says

What a neat gadget! I need one. And now that I officially have two things on my Target list (that, and my book club book – Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison), time to make the trek! Thanks for the inspiration.

Dainty? I hope you’re joking when you say you think girls spitting seeds is wrong b/c you think they should be dainty. If you’re okay with boys doing it, then it should be okay for girls to do it. I don’t see the difference. Why do girls have to be dainty? Ayyyy, are we back in the 1950s? hahaha Oh, my heart is hurting!!! I will breathe deeply and move on to the coveted cherry pitter. :D

I want one so badly. Have you seen the pitters that allows you to pit a bunch of cherries without having to empty out the little receptacle as much? I would be happy with any type of cherry pitter, though. I replied to your pitter tweet. I hope you do a giveaway!

• says

I was totally being sarcastic (as well when I said it is a mom’s job to squelch giggling and fun having) ;) So no need to have a hurting heart…lol!

oh, this will make preparing cherries for clafoutis soooo much easier! it’s one of my favorite summer time desserts, but it’s always such a pain (not to mention a mess – my fingers stay purple for hours!) to pit all the cherries by hand! i’ll have to look for one somewhere… too bad there’s no target in europe!
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..Six Senses Saturday & Other Mish Mash =-.

A few years ago, I had painstakingly pitted all cherries by hand, grew tired of it and tried to use a paper clip to “core” out the pit. I saw the method in a MSL issue years before. The MacGyver method was a failure.

Days later, my friend was talking about his weekend of cherry picking and jam making and I asked how he pitted all those dang cherries! A cherry pitter, of course. I felt like such a fool…
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..It’s been that kind of morning…(Chocolate Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake) =-.

1. [...] to use the method my mom always mentioned, using a bobby pin to dig out the pits (because I think tools like this are ridiculous). I ended up in a bad mood, covered in pops of cherry juice & realizing that I [...]