Addictive Tendencies & Menu Planning Monday (Recipe: Caramel Frappe for 2)

(Don’t you love that mug? I got it from the Crate & Barrel outlet. Win a $50 CB2 gift card and do some online shopping of your own. Details over at Culinary Snapshot.)

If you couldn’t tell by my chicken leg post, I have what I would call “addictive tendencies”. That is one reason why I have never tried drugs… I know I would probably like them and then be addicted and then we’d all see my happy little life spiral down the drain, out of control. If drugs are anything like baked chicken legs, I know I’d be in trouble.

As mentioned in a recent Project 365 entry, I was sailing through life pretty much sure that all of you drinking iced coffee drinks were disgusting. An iced coffee drink seemed like you forgot you had a half of cup of coffee sitting on your night stand and then you woke up the next morning and continued to drink the old, cold coffee. Cold coffee? Blech.

I was at a McDonald’s play date with my 3 year old, innocently slurping from one of my current and long standing addictions – a fountain drink – when a McDonald’s employee handed me a sample of their new McCafe Caramel Frappe. Well, of course I took it because – you know… it was free. It is a common rule of life…you don’t turn down free samples, even if you don’t like what they are passing out. With the Caramel Frappe sitting in front of me, I decided to take one sip, knowing that after that one sip, I’d be tossing the Frappe into the garbage.

So, I took my sip…and then another sip… and then another sip and before you know it slurpy straw sucking sounds were echoing through the McDonald’s as I tried to get the last little drips of deliciousness from the bottom of the cup. I left that McDonald’s and promptly went through the drive through to order my own Caramel Frappe.

That week alone, I had four Caramel Frappe’s. I’d wake up thinking of Caramel Frappe’s. I’d go to sleep thinking of Caramel Frappe’s. Brushing my girls hair, I’d look down at their golden locks and I’d be immediately transported to the golden caramel ribbons that adorned my new favorite indulgence.

The hard thing about addictions is that, well, they are addicting. Overcoming them is difficult. I tried hiding my keys so I couldn’t go to McDonalds. I attempted leaving my money at home when I’d be out (although it is challenging to buy groceries when you don’t have money with you… they kind of frown upon that for some reason). I tried shocking myself with the enormous Caramel Frappe calorie count. Didn’t work… apparently my addiction can’t be scared into submission. I tried everything to just kick the habit. Then, I finally decided, instead of trying to stop the addiction, I’d embrace it. Surely it will get old and my overwhelming desire for Caramel Frappe goodness will eventually subside. In my effort to embrace my 24 hour, 7 days a week desire for a Caramel Frappe, I figured I should try to find out how to make a caramel frappe at home. Finding this Caramel Frappe for 2 recipe at Recipezaar.com did the trick. I made some minor adjustments, after studying the “barista’s” at the McCafe and now have the perfect way to feed my addiction at home. Between Baked Chicken Legs and the at home Caramel Frappe, I’m a happy – albeit addicted – woman.

Caramel Frappe for 2 (adapted from Recipezaar.com)

7 min | 7 min prep

SERVES 2

1. In a heat-tempered, glass measuring cup heat water in microwave, on high, for about 1 minute.
  2. Add instant coffee and latte mix. Stir until both are dissolved.
  3. Add caramel ice cream topping and syrup to coffee mixture and stir.
  4. In blender or smoothie machine, place 2 cups of ice. Add 1/2 milk, and then the coffee/caramel mixture.
  5. Process on “ice crush” setting until smooth
  6. Garnish with RediWhip and caramel drizzle.
  7. Depending on one’s taste, milder or stronger versions of this can be achieved by increasing or decreasing each ingredient.
And because I’m apparently trying to make this the longest post in the history of man kind, here is my Menu Plan Monday menu for the week:

Comments

The mug is amazing and I do appreciate the link to the recipe for the frappe. I think we all have or think we have small addictions we don’t much talk about, so you got a lot of company on that score. I love your blog. I found it by chance, but I’ll be back often to see what you’ve been cookin’ up. Have a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..Cheesy Orzo Pilaf =-.

I’m addicted to these things as well. The Mocha one is my drug of choice. I was doing a little research online tonight and the calorie count is off the hook. Guess I better slow down……before I blow up like a beached whale

3. Heather says

I also love frappes. About two months ago I was seriously considering getting a frappe machine (http://www.household-gadgets.com/frappe-machine.html). But in the end I decided not to get it and I am glad I didn’t. If I had the machine, I would be drinking frappes non-stop and my waist would keep on expanding and expanding. I am now trying to limit frappes to only once a week, because the calorie content is just so high. But at times I find it very difficult to stick to my target.

4. Christy says

I can’t wait to try your Frappe recipe because I am addicted to the McDonald’s Caramel Frappe’s too!! I think about them at least 3 times a day and even told my husband last night that I am officially obsessed! Thank you!

5. kim says

OMG!!! You are so right. I don’t drink coffee at all, however, I love the smell of it. When McDonald’s came out with the iced coffee drinks, I was like I’ll try it. I tired the Iced Mocha—died and went to Heaven. The week I tried it, I had it like four more times that week. Of course I was bouncing off the wall, but who cares. It was like coffee flavored chocolate milk. Today I tried the Mocha Frappe……………SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!. I was thinking that I have receipts that offer buy one get one free. OMG, HEAVEN!!!

6. MR.critique says

I tried your recipe and…
    The coffee is overpowering all of the other flavors in this recipe.
    And the vanilla & caramel is tad to weak to resemble Mcfrappe.

7. Janelle says

Well, I am addicted also. It is sad to be addicted to a drink but it happened. My husband thinks I am crazy for loving a drink so much but I do. I told him if we ever get into a fight and he storms out he better bring me back a large caramel frappe or I’m not letting him back in lol. But I am thinking it will save a lot of money to make them at home so this weekend I’m making a list of these ingredients and going shopping. I really hope I like it!! (the calorie count doesn’t bother me at all, I have a very fast metabolism and after 4 kids I am still underweight lol) Wish me luck!!!

8. Linda says

LOL I thought my friend and I were the only one’s with this problem!!!!! Can’t wait to try the receipt and save my $3.50

9. Brandie says

I am in the Frappe Lovers Club as well. I started by getting a free sample on a free frappe friday (hated their regular coffee) but like she said can’t turn down a free sample, i also got one for my sitter. She by the way HATES coffe but can’t show up with my kids at 7am and not offer my free treat. She and i both became instantly addicted. We are up to 3 or 4 (med) a week. The other day there was a storm and their cc machine was down and when i got to her house she jumped in her van to go get us some……it was monday and we had to have them. We’ve decided it’s really hurting both our budgets so I hope this recipe works cause either way we gotta have them….Thanks Brandie and Heather.

10. Angie says

I can so relate to your addiction. It happened to me in just the same way. The old free sample. Then I checked out the calorie count….OMG!!Thank you so much for posting the recipe, it’s great!!!

11. Jan says

You sound like me…I get addicted to one thing and can’t stop for the longest time. It finally twitters out and I’m onto something else. I LOVE carmel frappes at McDonald’s. I’m going to try your recipe this weekend. I used to dream of frozen cans of mandrin oranges. (Really!) Once I couldn’t stop eating bananas dipped in dry roasted sunflower seeds. (Only Planters brand.) When I was driving out of town for several hours I stopped for coffee but didn’t want the strong store coffee so one of the clerks introduced me to Starbucks Vanilla in a bottle. I bought two. I drank one and it seemed to help perk me up so I took the other one to my destination and froze it. Now I have to go the Sam’s at least twice a month and buy a case to freeze. I’m down to three a week which is better than the three a day I was drinking. Me too, as far as drugs are concerned. I do have an addictive personality and I would certainly be in trouble if I started down that road. Love your blog. Now I have another addiction…………..poo.

12. Alicia says

Oh I am so glad to hear I am not alone in the Frappe addiction! You are a life saver for that recipe lol =) … I prefer mocha but my boyfriend loves the caramel! Thank you!

…? Why are they so addicting? We always joke and say that McDonalds puts crack in them! Thats how we describe it to our post frappe friends… Weve so far hooked like 7 people on them!