Addictive Tendencies & Menu Planning Monday (Recipe: Caramel Frappe for 2)

(Don’t you love that mug? I got it from the Crate & Barrel outlet. Win a $50 CB2 gift card and do some online shopping of your own. Details over at Culinary Snapshot.)

If you couldn’t tell by my chicken leg post, I have what I would call “addictive tendencies”. That is one reason why I have never tried drugs… I know I would probably like them and then be addicted and then we’d all see my happy little life spiral down the drain, out of control. If drugs are anything like baked chicken legs, I know I’d be in trouble.

As mentioned in a recent Project 365 entry, I was sailing through life pretty much sure that all of you drinking iced coffee drinks were disgusting. An iced coffee drink seemed like you forgot you had a half of cup of coffee sitting on your night stand and then you woke up the next morning and continued to drink the old, cold coffee. Cold coffee? Blech.

I was at a McDonald’s play date with my 3 year old, innocently slurping from one of my current and long standing addictions – a fountain drink – when a McDonald’s employee handed me a sample of their new McCafe Caramel Frappe. Well, of course I took it because – you know… it was free. It is a common rule of life…you don’t turn down free samples, even if you don’t like what they are passing out. With the Caramel Frappe sitting in front of me, I decided to take one sip, knowing that after that one sip, I’d be tossing the Frappe into the garbage.

So, I took my sip…and then another sip… and then another sip and before you know it slurpy straw sucking sounds were echoing through the McDonald’s as I tried to get the last little drips of deliciousness from the bottom of the cup. I left that McDonald’s and promptly went through the drive through to order my own Caramel Frappe.

That week alone, I had four Caramel Frappe’s. I’d wake up thinking of Caramel Frappe’s. I’d go to sleep thinking of Caramel Frappe’s. Brushing my girls hair, I’d look down at their golden locks and I’d be immediately transported to the golden caramel ribbons that adorned my new favorite indulgence.

The hard thing about addictions is that, well, they are addicting. Overcoming them is difficult. I tried hiding my keys so I couldn’t go to McDonalds. I attempted leaving my money at home when I’d be out (although it is challenging to buy groceries when you don’t have money with you… they kind of frown upon that for some reason). I tried shocking myself with the enormous Caramel Frappe calorie count. Didn’t work… apparently my addiction can’t be scared into submission. I tried everything to just kick the habit. Then, I finally decided, instead of trying to stop the addiction, I’d embrace it. Surely it will get old and my overwhelming desire for Caramel Frappe goodness will eventually subside. In my effort to embrace my 24 hour, 7 days a week desire for a Caramel Frappe, I figured I should try to find out how to make a caramel frappe at home. Finding this Caramel Frappe for 2 recipe at Recipezaar.com did the trick. I made some minor adjustments, after studying the “barista’s” at the McCafe and now have the perfect way to feed my addiction at home. Between Baked Chicken Legs and the at home Caramel Frappe, I’m a happy – albeit addicted – woman.

Caramel Frappe for 2 (adapted from Recipezaar.com)

7 min | 7 min prep

SERVES 2

1. In a heat-tempered, glass measuring cup heat water in microwave, on high, for about 1 minute.
  2. Add instant coffee and latte mix. Stir until both are dissolved.
  3. Add caramel ice cream topping and syrup to coffee mixture and stir.
  4. In blender or smoothie machine, place 2 cups of ice. Add 1/2 milk, and then the coffee/caramel mixture.
  5. Process on “ice crush” setting until smooth
  6. Garnish with RediWhip and caramel drizzle.
  7. Depending on one’s taste, milder or stronger versions of this can be achieved by increasing or decreasing each ingredient.
And because I’m apparently trying to make this the longest post in the history of man kind, here is my Menu Plan Monday menu for the week:

Comments

That looks AMAZING! YUM!

And Pssst… I think CB2 isn’t Crate and Barrel’s outlet, but it’s their spin-off store, to target Ikea customers. Sort of like Old Navy & Gap (or Gap & Banana Republic), or Ann Taylor & Ann Taylor Loft. Ya catch my drift?
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Soy Marinated London Broil =-.

haha, i have the same reasoning for staying off drugs. you are brave to admit that on the web! i am finally getting over my addiction to sweet potato fries, just in time for the holiday and now i have a box of cadbury eggs to take their place. i’m waiting for the day i feel this way about veggies.
    .-= sarah´s last blog ..tastespotting =-.

I don’t think I could ever be addicted to drugs, but food….most definitely. My addictions are coffee and peanut butter. I can’t live without either of them.

I’m going to have to stay away from this frappe…because I know it would be instant love. But it looks fantastic.

mmm! that actually looks really, really, REALLY good! lol and thats so funny…you are just like me! you have an ‘easily addictive’ personality.

I love your blog by the way! I just stumbled upon it today and have been reading through it for a little while now;) Very nice of you to help out newbie bloggers like myself! And I love your idea for adopting a newbie, planning on starting a new round any time soon? :D

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing! This week I made a Dulce de Leche Coffee that was delicious, but I might have to give this Caramel Frappe a try!
    .-= Marthe´s last blog ..Poffertjes =-.

Yep, CB2 is their “apartment” branch – for their less affluent customers who still like their style but can’t afford it at Crate & Barrel’s regular prices. In other words, me!

And while I don’t drink coffee, I “get” iced coffee drinks – I mean, I like tea and I also like iced tea, and iced tea isn’t just like old cold tea left hanging around. It’s a different drink. Although there are two schools of iced coffee – the “frozen blender drink” like this sounds like, and the Dunkin Donuts kind where it’s a liquid beverage with ice in it (more like what iced tea is to tea, this is to coffee). So I don’t blame you for developing a serious habit.
    .-= camille´s last blog ..Soda Bread =-.

I don’t do drugs for the same reason – I get addicted to foods SO easily. I would be a mess if it were drugs. :)
    Any ideas how to recreate the McCafe Chocolate frappe?!?!?!?!

see, now, you say this is for two, but if i made it, those two would be me and myself. i also get latched onto a food or drink and consume it until it finally disgusts me, and then i don’t have it again for years. i don’t think i’ve admitted that to anyone (including myself) before. ah, the power of a frappe. :)

1. […] My McCafe Caramel Frappe Addicition & Menu Plan for the week … Food & Disclosure Policy: “The Menu Mandate” « Submitted to a …Menu Plan Monday ~ April 5thToo Many Hats: Monday Menu ManiaPotato Skin Sandwich Hits the Cer Te Menu Today | Midtown Lunch …Menu cards 4 | Full And Free Download rapidshare megaupload direct …Boston's Fenway Park Announces Greener Menu: Veggie Dogs And …April's Monthly Menu at NicoStuff.comNew Support Roundtables Web Pages and Revised Support Menu – Web …Tennessee Business Taxes and License & Permit Requirements | EducationU.S., Russia near deal on nuclear weapons – Army News, news from … View the Contact Powered by Staff […]