Mythical Balance (Recipe: Just Like Lambert’s Thrown Rolls)

If it hasn’t been clear by my lack of posts lately, I seem to be having a very difficult time with balance. People say “don’t worry about it, Kristen… you’ll find your “me” time again”. Or, “why worry about blogging?” is something I often get from non-bloggers…people who don’t understand the therapeutic nature of getting your thoughts and ideas out there.  I worry because I truly enjoy blogging. I miss Dine & Dish and the relationships I’ve formed over the last 3 1/2 years. I miss reading your blogs and soaking up your stories. I miss Culinary Snapshot and what I started over there and then just as quickly let fall to the wayside. The landscape of the food blogging community has changed drastically over time, and I feel like I don’t even know who is who or what is what anymore.I feel so disconnected from it all.

I don’t know how many of you do it… mom’s with jobs, kids, husbands, responsibilities and yet you still manage to have successful and regularly updated blogs. What is the trick to the balance you have managed to achieve? Or, is it that you are having the same struggles I am but hobbies that you enjoy other than your writing are getting left behind? Is it possible to have it all…to do it all… and to do it all well?

I’ve decided to take baby steps to getting my life back in balance. Writing makes me happy – it is my therapy and I need it. Photography is also something I find joy in. I am going to carve out time each week to devote to each, in the forms of Dine & Dish and Culinary Snapshot.

Hopefully you’ll see more of me around the blogosphere again soon…once I figure out that mythical thing called BALANCE.

Speaking of – Culinary Snapshot has a new post up! I hope you will come over and check it out. If you’d like to be featured as a Snapshot Spotlight or if you have a before and after foodie photo you’d like to share, come on over and let me know! Giveaways for participation will begin again in April.

Just Like Lambert’s Thrown Rolls

There is a great little restaurant outside of Springfield, MO called Lambert’s Cafe. The only way you can get their delicious rolls is by catching them as the servers throw them at you. This is a copycat recipe that is a great substitute when you can’t make it to Lambert’s yourself! This can also be made by using the dough cycle of your bread machine.

Side note – I accidentally made these like clover leaf rolls (as you’ll notice in the picture), but they should be made into two spheres versus three!

SERVES 12

1. Combine sugar and yeast in tepid water.
  2. Let stand 5-10 minutes until yeast begins to foam.
  3. Thoroughly mix milk, butter, sugar, egg and salt in large bowl.
  4. Stir in the yeast mixture and 3 1/2 cups of flour, adding a bit more if necessary to make a soft, pliable dough.
  5. Turn dough out on floured board and let rest while you clean and butter bowl.
  6. Knead dough gently 4-5 minutes, adding flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and silky.
  7. Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place until doubled in size (1 1/2 hours appoximately).
  8. Butter a 12 cup muffin tin.
  9. Punch down dough.
  10. Pinch off pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, (enough to fill one-half of muffin cup), and roll into smooth spheres.
  11. Place two such pieces in each prepared muffin cup- it will be a tight fit.
  12. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap for 45 minutes.
  13. Bake rolls in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until light brown.
  14. Serve as soon as they are cool enough to throw.

Comments

We need to get together again, and soon! What you are in need of is a shift of perspective. Instead of focusing on what (you feel) you are NOT getting done, you need to re-examine what you ARE getting done.

Every day you balance a household, 4 children, a husband, part-time work from home, and the surprises of everyday life. It’s A LOT to manage. But I’ve seen you keep up with it all and STILL make time for your Project 365. That IS blogging (perhaps in a different format than you currently implement on Dine & Dish, but it’s still blogging at its core) and you do it well.

Balance is all about compromise, a setting (and occasional re-setting) of priorities, a defining and redefining of the activities that are important to you. In this case it is a verb, not a noun (which means it’s always changing and ever in action.) If something feels out of balance, try to shift your perspective and reset. You are so clever and creative (not to mention well organized), you will find YOUR way to make it all work as long as you truly want to & not just because you feel like you should—especially avoid the trap of should-ing all over yourself ;)

Perhaps switch to a micro-blogging format for a while (like you do with Project 365) and allow yourself to ease into a new & natural rhythm of posting. Perhaps set a goal of x number of posts per week—start with 1 or 2, stay with that schedule, or work upwards when the time is right.

Most importantly, give yourself a break. Rediscover your passion without putting external or imagined pressures on yourself. You have so many friends & readers who care about you and are anxious to see what you have to share—whether you post those things once a month or 3 times a day.

In the end, do what feels right for you and the balance will eventually come. If you stick with it long enough, this new balance will become a habit. If (when) things ever feel out of balance again, simply shift your perspective & reset.

From another perspective: Think of hobbies and blogging through the eyes of spring cleaning—don’t be afraid to toss what doesn’t work (or isn’t serving your needs anymore), then keep or re-purpose the things you love/can’t live without.

Also, I just realized this comment is turning into a novel, so feel free to delete at will (I won’t be offended).

P.S. Once upon a time there was a restaurant in the French Quarter of New Orleans that threw rolls at you. I believe it was called ‘Anything Goes’. I may be wrong on the name (and I’m not sure if this place still exists), but I do remember the roll throwing. Very fun indeed!
    .-= Sandie {Inn Cuisine}´s last blog ..Bring Your Appetite and Get Your Grill On – Recipe: Strawberry Creek Inn’s Steak Marinade and Pomegranate Sauce (for Steak & Eggs) =-.

It’s so challenging to balance everything and I appreciate where you are coming from. I started my blog almost a year ago and with a (now) one year old my time for this is constantly fluctuating. I can only concentrate if she is napping. If I work on a post, I’m not getting the laundry or kitchen done (to name a few things!). I’ll manage to get a post up, but not extra time to work on my photography or networking, or what have you. There just is not time for everything so each day it’s a matter of choosing what to do with the time.

Time with our children is so precious and so fleeting as well. I’ve just recently discovered your two sites and look forward to learning more from them. Good luck with the balancing act!
    .-= Naomi´s last blog ..lean turkey and vegetable cabbage rolls =-.

I’m glad I’m not the only one out there that feels like that. I often wonder how do all of the bloggers keep consistent posts. I am sporadic at most and wonder why do I keep on.

Choosing to stay home with my baby and participate in the occasional baking therapy and sporadically post about it has filled in the hole of me not working (I used to work in bakeries and do miss it.)

I wish there were balance as well. But for now, I will just do the best I can and accept it.
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Giant Soda Muffins =-.

4. Pat Wogan says

I have been admiring what all you do. Also have thought I need to get back to my blog. Energy is the thing that is lacking in my life. It is a limited asset and sometimes there is less than more. Your family is the one thing that won’t wait until you have time . I think you do a great job of balancing and you should feel good about what you do accomplish :)

Kristen, you’re certainly not alone in your struggle to find balance. For a while, I was feeling completely overwhelmed. I was posting to my blog 3 times a week, tweeting like a crazy little bird, and updating my personal Facebook page and my fan page. I found the time when my kids were at school or in bed at night. Now that I’m working on finalizing the recipes for my second family cookbook, I’ve cut back on many of my social media obligations!
    It’s so hard to do it all. I always say that if I sat around reading food blogs all day, I would barely make a dent in 24 hours! Hang in there, and in the meantime, I’ll look forward to your blog posts when YOU have the time to write them.

Thanks for your honesty…. I just really like that you don’t try to hold it all together when you blog… you’re blogging about what is going on in your life, which is a loss of balance! I think everyone’s comments says it all — we have ALL been there! Just wanted to say that I find your honesty encouraging, and I hope you find everyone’s responses encouraging too!
    .-= Bethany´s last blog ..Curried Lentil Burgers with Sweet Potato Oven Fries =-.

I have a hard time balancing life and we don’t even have kids yet. I think you are amazing! Try not to stress!!
    So I have been to Lambert’s! Such a fun place. I love how they really throw the rolls!! Thanks for reminding me of a great place. The rolls look perfect!

1. These look like the “Butter Buns” a little bakery near my parents’ house used to make. If they taste the same, I want to go to this Lambert’s. And I want to catch one… in my MOUTH.

2. Balance, ahahaha. I was at work until 5:50 today. Then the train was slow because there was “traffic” from a medical emergency that had happened in the MORNING rush hour. Didn’t get to the gym until nearly 7. Didn’t get home until a quarter to 9. Still had to eat something and have a shower but was contractually obligated to watch 24. Husbinator just went to bed and wanted to know if I’d go to bed too, because I never do, and when I said no, he said I could. I can’t! I’m not done! And I’m trying to get back into writing, not just blogging but real writing, and I have no idea what kind of idiot I think I am – I know how little time I have. And you know what? You’re responsible for a variety of other humans. I’m only responsible for myself and I can barely handle that. You’re doing awesome.
    .-= camille´s last blog ..Mexican Ravioli =-.

I’m totally all over the place with the balance thing lately. One week everything flows smoothly, the next something happens to throw off my schedule and it seems it takes weeks sometimes to get back on track.

Glad to know I’m not alone.
    .-= Amy from She Wears Many Hats´s last blog ..What it is? No. 1 =-.

10. Jennifer says

You know, I’ve never in my life tried to make proper dinner rolls before tonight, and to say I was thrilled with how fantastic these turned out would be an understatement. They were light and fluffy and simply delicious. I couldn’t stop my fiance eating them! Also, though I’m now living in Norway, my family used to live in Springfield, MO. and when going down to Arkansas to visit grandparents would sometimes stop in at Lambert’s. To find it mentioned in a random recipe search was a fun trip down memory lane! So thanks for the treats, food-wise and memory-wise. :)