We’re Eating In (Recipe – New York Style Pizza Crust & Sauce)

It happened for a reason. I’m sure of it. I was browsing Facebook one day last month when I came across a status update from Nicole at Pinch My Salt. She said something to the effect of “I’m not going to eat out for one month.. think I can do it?”. I responded that I knew she could do it and in fact, I was going to join in and maybe we could motivate each other. Before I know it, I had committed to eating in from September 1st to my birthday on October 5th!

My family has been horrible about eating out lately. I remember how great I used to be at menu planning and how disciplined we once were about only eating out on rare occasions. I also remember that when I was growing up, eating out was a special thing… it rarely happened! With my kids, it seems like it was getting to the point where eating IN was more of a rare occasion. I want eating out to be special to them again.

We’ve also seen a huge hit in our bank account and our waistlines, which isn’t good. I needed an excuse to get things under control, and Nicole’s unintentional challenge sounded like just the thing.

One week down and we have done great, but I knew that was because we hadn’t had a Friday yet. For just about every Friday for the past year, we have gone with our neighbors to a local pizza place called D’Bronx. D’Bronx has the best NY Style pizza you can found around these parts. Huge, folded slices of pizza… mmmmm! Not only do we love the food when we go to D’Bronx, we also love the company. Friday nights are going to be tough habit to break, so I thought I would do my best tonight to try and ease us down slowly. I decided to try and make New York Style pizza at home.

I combined two different recipes and had our usual toppings of mozzarella and cheese. It wasn’t D’Bronx, but you know what? It wasn’t bad either! It was actually a great pizza and if I hadn’t had D’Bronx before, I probably would have had even higher acclaims for it!

If you are looking for a great pizza, but the pie or the slice, give these two recipes a try. With meals like this, eating in will no longer be considered a challenge!

New York Style Pizza Dough (from About.com)

Yields: 1 large or 2 small pizzas

• 2 1/4 teaspoon (1 package) instant dry active yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (not hot!)
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • 3 cups bread flour, or as needed
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Add the water, yeast, sugar, and a 1/2 cup of the flour into a mixing bowl. Stir well and let sit for 20 minutes. It will get bubbly.
  2. Add olive oil, salt, and 2 cups of the flour, and mix with a wooden spoon until it’s together enough to turn out on to a lightly floured work surface to knead.
  3. Knead for about 10 minutes, while adding more flour a little at a time, to produce a soft, elastic and slightly sticky dough. Do not add too much flour, just enough to keep it from sticking to the work surface as you knead.
  4. Form the dough into a ball and place in a large oiled bowl. Drizzle a few drops of oil and coat the top of dough to prevent the surface from becoming dry.
  5. Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm spot for 2 hours, or until the dough doubles in size.
  6. Punch down the dough and divide into 2 balls and place in large zip lock plastic bags and refrigerate overnight.
  7. When ready to use, remove from fridge, and let the dough come up to room temperature before using. (I precooked the crust on 425 for 8 minutes prior to adding the toppings)

New York Style Pizza Sauce (from MyRecipes.com)

7 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (14.5-ounce) can petite-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.

Yield: 2 2/3 cups (serving size: about 1/4 cup)

CALORIES 40 ; FAT 1.9g (sat 0.3g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.2g); CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 17mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5.6g; SODIUM 170mg; PROTEIN 1g; FIBER 1.4g; IRON 0.7mg

Cooking Light, JULY 2009

Comments

Your pizza looks great! We had homemade Italian-style pizza on Wednesday night when my cousin and her husband were in town and tonight I’m using the leftover sauce and toppings to make mini pizzas on leftover pita bread that I made yesterday. I’ve been eating really well so far this month :-)
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..Chilled Ginger Cantaloupe Soup =-.

It looks delicious! I’m glad it turned out to be so good. Hubby and I got really bad at eating out when I was pregnant. Just in the past two months have I gotten away from it so much. It is a hard transition, because there are those days when I just feel like saying, ‘lets go out’. Hopefully your hubby will be as supportive as mine on those nights (and cook something himself or help.)
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..May Be Foodless Friday: Giveaway, small & simple =-.

That’s a great challenge! I love eating out but I’ve been definitely trying to make it a special occasion thing for budget reasons. I find that when I eat out because I don’t have any food inspiration or because I didn’t do the grocery shopping, I tend to eat food that’s not as good for me, or not as good period as home cooking. So I’m trying to making eating at home the norm and save my eating out expenses for places that are really yummy!

Sounds really delicious! We make pizza at home almost every week. One thing I do is make a double batch of pizza dough one week, and freeze half of it. That way it’s really easy to make pizza the next week. I also make a big batch of the sauce I use; I keep the extra in the fridge and use it for pasta when we need a quick dinner. Good luck with your challenge!
    .-= Di´s last blog ..Brownies on the brain =-.

5. Laurie says

We missed you at D’Bronx, but your pizza looks yummy!! I’ll definitely have to give it a try, especially now that I have even more reason to eat healthy! Who knows, maybe your challenge will rub off on us…

We managed to go without eating out for about 2-3 months earlier this year… we were waiting to see how my husband’s job status was going to be once his company relocated out of state. Of course, once he picked up the new job, we went back to our “old” ways … need to get back to eating in especially since it was nice to see the savings we had earlier in the year. Can’t wait to see what else you come up with to make Friday’s still something special at home.
    .-= Patsyk´s last blog ..Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars from Martha Stewart =-.

Eating out is such a hard habit to break. We didn’t eat out from May 1st to June 26th. We made it almost 2 months!! We went out of town at the end of June, July was a little tougher but we’re back on track.
    I don’t have a pizza recipe, I will be trying this crust out soon.

8. amy says

D’Bronx now you make me miss kansas city. Your recipe looks excellent and I would try it except I am the expert yeast killer. But I think maybe I will issue this challenge to my family and see what comes up.

good for you!!! we recently did six weeks of not eating out, as i knew we had a weekend vacation to seattle coming up (we just got back yesterday) and would be eating out while we were there. we didn’t eat out for six weeks before our trip, so it felt like a super treat when we got to seattle and i got to eat something i didn’t prepare myself!
    .-= Carmen´s last blog ..Tuesdays with Dorie – Espresso Cheesecake Brownies =-.

1. Friday Link Love…

I haven’t had time to read blogs again this week, BUT I did find some links that I liked via some of the people I follow on Twitter! Hopefully I’ll get back to my lonesome little RSS feeds one……