Impressing the In-Laws (Recipe – Oven Ham Sammies)

You know that moment? That moment where you make a dish from a recipe and then feed it to people. While they are eating it you hear “mmmmmm’s” and then the best thing ever happens… they begin asking for the recipe? You know when that person just happens to be your mother-in-law? All the better, right?

Remember, I used to not be able to cook…AT. ALL. Before Nick and I were married, we visited his parents. Always feeling inept in the kitchen, especially surrounded by all of his sisters and his mom, I would try to fit in by chopping this and stirring that. His mom needed to make a jello salad with fruit in it for a function we were going to. Jello salad with fruit in it…how hard could that be to mess up? I volunteered to make it for her and guess what. I messed up a jello salad. Seriously, I know… how freaking hard is it to make a jello salad with fruit in it? Apparently much harder than I had the talent for at the time. His mom was nice about it, but I could tell that she was disappointed.

I don’t think I ever redeemed myself as a cook with his family, until close to 12 years later when every one was gathered at our house after Leah’s baptism. To think that the redeeming dish was these oh so simple, Oven Ham Sammies. After that dinner every single person there asked me for the recipe. Everyone…and yes, that includes my mother-in-law. Thanks to my friend Torree for passing on this recipe and helping me gain a bit of a reputation with the in-laws. Now I”m feeling so confident, I may just go try to make a jello salad!

Oven Ham Sammies

1 12 count package Kings Hawaiian Rolls
1/2 cup butter melted
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp onion flakes
1 tsp worcheshire sauce
1 package swiss cheese
12-16oz thin sliced ham

Put ham and cheese on sliced rolls
Mix all other ingredients and spoon over sammies. Let set overnight or several hours
Bake on 350 for 15 min before serving

Love sandwiches? Check out these yummy sammie recipes!

Comments

These look fabulously simple. I love the sweetness of King’s Hawaiian Rolls (which is why I don’t often buy them…I would eat the entire package by myself). And, don’t feel bad. I didn’t know how to cook either. I could handle the basics, but have learned the other little details on my own as food sparked my curiosity. Cooking is all about learning and enjoying.
    .-= SB’s Bea´s last blog ..Picky Eaters Need Not Apply =-.

2. DeAnn says

I got this recipe awhile back and have not made them. You have just inspired me to finally make them. Thanks!!!

Impressing the MIL? Nice going! I love the Hawaiian bread – it’s so soft and sweet. What kind/brand of ham did you use? I’m kind of iffy on ham because it sometimes gets slimy. :(

I love your blog, but I have to say it’s hard to believe looking at your posts that you were ever less than capable in the kitchen!

Yayyyyy! Can’t wait to see the jello salad.

Hon, I have not changed by blog theme, colours or font, apparently there are times when the page does not load properly. The next time that happens can you please refresh the page? That should do the trick. Thanks.
    .-= Cynthia´s last blog ..Haitian Griot (Fried Pork) & Accra =-.

We love these little sandwiches. They are great for parties and showers (bridal or baby, not in the bathtub because the bread would get soggy). My husband gets worried when I make them because he thinks some big event is about to happen but sometimes I do make them just because (because they are delicious!)

These look perfect for a busy day with in-laws visiting! LOL, your jello salad story reminds me of the first time I had dinner with my potential in-laws. MIL-to-be had made a cake, and said that the thing she loved about the recipe was that you didn’t have to sift the flour. I bit into my piece and found a bay leaf. A dry one. I ate it. All of it. Later she told me she kept bay leaves in the flour to keep weevils out. I still do that to this day. But I ALWAYS sift my flour. Her son? We never got married. I wonder if it was the bay leaf incident?
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..ITALIAN ALMOND COOKIES =-.