Insecurity (Recipe – Corn Flake Waffles)

(Check out the before/after for this food photo and learn some food photography tips by checking out Culinary Snapshot!)

I am usually a fairly confident and secure person, but for some reason lately I have been hit with a dose of insecurity. I think part of it is starting the Culinary Snapshot blog. I feel like I have had this idea for a blog for so long now, and I am nervous that it will not turn into the resource for food photographers that I want it to be. It is hard to start over being a “newbie” blogger. Dine & Dish has been around for awhile now, so getting back to the basics of starting over with a new blog brings up all of those original blogging  insecurities…  kind of like being the new kid at school!

I am also heading to the BlogHer conference in Chicago at the end of the month. I am so excited because there will be several food bloggers there that I can’t wait to meet in person. On the other hand, I am nervous because I feel like the food blogger attendees at BlogHer will be waaaaay out numbered by the other blogging venue participants (especially since they have announced there will be a BlogHer food conference in September…soooo wish I was going to that conference!). I read a  lot of Mommy blogs but have never really integrated myself into their tight, niche community.  I feel like I am going to be a little fish in a very, very big sea. I hope that I am able to connect with bloggers in all the different venues and I hope I learn a lot at the conference sessions. If you are heading to BlogHer and read Dine & Dish, shoot me an email so we can meet up! I would love to put a face with a name.

I am not shy, but I have never been the type of person to stand out in a crowd. Trying to draw attention to a new blog  and  attempting to step out of my food blogging comfort zone to mingle with non-food bloggers who have no idea who I am and what I do at Dine & Dish will be a new experience for me. Hopefully both experiences will end up being very successful!

Speaking of not standing out in a crowd, I totally feel that way about Corn Flakes cereal (how is that for a pathetic attempt at a segue?) Corn Flakes are one of those classic cereals that really do not get much attention. I typically only buy Corn Flakes when I need to top a casserole with them and that is how I came to have a half empty box of Corn Flakes in my pantry.  A quick Google search brought me to this recipe for Corn Flake Waffles. Sounds kind of strange, doesn’t it? This recipe actually gives Corn Flakes the star attention they really deserve. You wouldn’t think that adding Corn Flakes to a waffle recipe would make that much difference, but the Corn Flakes in this recipe take center stage giving the waffles a delicious, almost nutty, flavor.  Make Corn Flakes feel a little better about themselves and give them the starring role by trying these waffles. They may be a little different, but I can promise you they are worth getting to know!

Corn Flake Waffles from AllRecipes

• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

In a bowl, combine flour, cornflakes, baking powder and salt. Beat egg yolks lightly; add milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.

Comments

I would never have thought about using cornflakes in waffles! I’d make them more often, but my cheap waffle maker is such a pain to clean. I was thinking of getting a belgian one like you have…

Karens last blog post..Quick Chicken Curry

I’m so bummed I’m not doing the general Blogher – just the food one. I’d love to meet you! And as for Culinary Snapshot, I’ve already learned and noticed things there that I wouldn’t have otherwise – it’s definitely going to develop into a really neat resource. Oh, and nice segue :)

I’m just going to the food conference and will miss meeting you in Chicago! Last year I went to the main conference and being a shy person felt overwhelmed in the crowd. Everyone says to bring boxes of business cards because you’ll give them all away. I think I gave away 20? BlogHer does a “speed dating” exercise on the first day to help everyone step out of their circle and meet new people, which helps. Have fun!

YUM! I am going to have to try those. Honestly, I think you will be fine once you get the conference. I have never been to BlogHer before either and I don’t think I would consider myself really in any blogging category so I would always worry when going to things like this too. I bet you will be surprised to find others will be intimidated to talk to you because you have such a great blog :)I, for one, hope to meet you finally in person :)

I have really been enjoying Culinary Snapshot and the Photoshop tips are extremely helpful for me! I use a not-very-fancy point and shoot, so Photoshop is a must for me. Keep up the great work on that blog!

Hey – just have fun with what you are doing. :) I still need to check out the new blog (hopefully get some tips on my WOEFULLY poor photos!) but I’m sure that it’s divine.

I wish I was going to BlogHer! It coincides with my b-day, darn it. How much fun would it be to connect with fellow foodies on my birthday?

shelleybakess last blog post..Light-er/ish Carrot Cake

Having just started TasteStopping, I can absolutely relate to what you are feeling. One big difference is that I am not attending BlogHer, but if I try to put myself in your shoes, some of the same thoughts would be swirling in my head too! The predominance of mommy bloggers might be intimidating, but perhaps an easier way to view it is that it’s a lot of cool, smart women who have connected with a broader community, just as you have. And just as you look forward to learning something while there, you have a lot to offer in return.

Good luck, and here’s hoping I have the chance to meet you in the near future at one of these great events!

Best,
    Casey
    Editor

TasteStoppings last blog post..Which came first, the chicken or the egg-dip?

No worries with anything…I love the way your blog looks and feels! You will be fine on all counts that you are feeling insecure about.

Great recipe and photograph.

oneshotbeyonds last blog post..Brittany

The recipe sounds delish and I am LOVING Culinary Snapshot. I wish I was going to BlogHer in Sept. since it’s in my backyard but I will be out of the country. It’s probably better that I wait until next year anyway since I’m so new at all this so I am eager to hear all about it from you.

Deannas last blog post..Orange Buttermilk Scones and Fresh Lime Curd