The Need to Feed (Recipe: Buttermilk Biscuits)

I love summertime…absolutely love it. I love having my kids home. I love the warm weather, the sunshine, and the impromptu neighborhood gatherings that happen when we are all hanging outside. I love not having to be any place in particular by 8am…lazy mornings of snuggling in bed and reading books before we all get up to start the day.

There is one thing I don’t like about summertime and that is that my kids need food for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. The nerve of them wanting to eat three square meals a day! Having to feed them totally interrupts my “lets just live by the seat of our pants” summertime mentality. I could get by with just grazing when I’m hungry during the day, but the little creatures I gave life to think that we must sit down to a meal for breakfast and lunch. Saying “just go get something out of the pantry” doesn’t work for them, so I actually have to put some effort into feeding them.

Lately I feel like we have been doing way too many bowls of cereal for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. I have decided to actually start menu planning for breakfast, lunch and dinner while they are home for the summer. That way, they can feel comfortable knowing that yes… mom is going to feed them and I can feel prepared with food on hand when they bring my lazy summertime days to a screeching halt with their “Mommy I’m hungry” cry.

This morning it was buttermilk biscuits with butter and honey and a bowl of fruit. Easy enough and I can actually use the leftover biscuits for Canadian bacon and cheese sandwiches for lunch!

How do you keep the hunger monster at bay for your kids during the summer? I’d love to hear about any recipe ideas you have that would not interrupt my ideal summer day too much, but that will fill the need to feed the kiddos.

This is the recipe my mom always used to make biscuits. It is from the original Betty Crocker cookbook.

Baking Powder Buttermilk Biscuits

1/2 cup shortening
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (I always use buttermilk substitute… 1 Tbs lemon juice for each 1 cup of milk)

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Cut shortening into flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk until dough leaves side of bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick. Cut with loured 2 1/2 inch round cutter. Place on un-greased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart for crusty sides, touching for soft sides. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Makes 1 dozen biscuits.

Comments

Those look delicious and remind me of breakfast at my grandparents’ house! I might try this recipe with whole wheat pastry flour and see how that works.

Mmmmm…those look delicious! I’ve never made biscuits at home and this looks simple, I may give it a try this weekend.
    I take a shortcut and make a big batch of pancakes twice a week. I have enough leftovers for a couple of quick breakfasts (and snacks. Do your kids like breakfast in the afternoon as much as mine do?)
    For me, planning enough dinner is a huge part. I pack EMT-Dad’s lunch and use the leftovers for the kids. I always cook an extra steak (or piece of chicken) or two for lunchbox and burritos the next day. We do a lot of leftover burritos for lunches. Luckily the kids don’t mind!

Wow are you ever courageous! My kids were always thrilled with grilled cheese sandwiches!

These biscuits look perfect. I have a favorite biscuit recipe but have never thought to serve them with butter and honey for breakfast. Yummy! And for sandwiches for lunch. Great!

Jamies last blog post..ODD GIRL OUT

I have no suggestions and this will tell you why: When my daughter was about 11, she said “Mom, what’s for dinner… and could we have something other than spaghetti??” LOL

Really, I made waffles and froze them – good to heat in the toaster. Scrambled eggs with hot dogs. Oatmeal with raisins & nuts. Breakfast burritos (eggs, ham, salsa), Toasted english muffins with eggs and cheese. I always thought kids were easy to feed… they just want it to look cute, different and yummy!

Karens last blog post..How does your garden grow?

5. Terri Hendricks says

You’re such a good mommy. My kids wouldn’t know what hit them if I fixed them breakfast every day! I’m sure I must have made their breakfasts and lunches when they were younger. Although I know that we used to put a sippy cup of milk in the refrigerator and a bowl of cereal in the cupboard at night, and the oldest (around 3 yrs old) would come in our room in the morning to tell us she was awake and then go and eat her breakfast and let us sleep another 15 minutes or so!

6. AnaMarie says

Girl! I cracked up at this so loudly and snorted I think I woke up the neighbors…it’s well past midnight, and I want a buttermilk biscuit! Thanks for the recipe!