What is Comfort? (Recipe: Tuna Noodle Casserole)

As social as I like to be, there is one day a week that I look forward to than any other day. That day is Tuesday and the reason is that I have an open calendar on Tuesdays. I don’t have to take the kids to school, we have no extra curricular activities, and I can stay home all day long if I want to. For someone who loves to be around people, that probably seems kind of odd, but I love being at home. Home equals comfort to me.

Comfort comes in different forms for different people. For me there are certain things that definitly equate comfort. Some of those things are:

• Having my family all around the dinner table
  • Having my “pillow partner” home
  • Hopping into a freshly made bed with clean linens
  • Sleeping under hand made quilts, especially really old worn in ones
  • Knowing that I can call my mom up at any time for answers to questions big and small
  • Pajama Pants and Slipper Socks
  • Saturday mornings with all the kids in bed with us
  • Mom’s Chicken and Noodles or Spaghetti and Meatballs
  • Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches on really soft white bread

That is just a short list, and I could continue to go on and on, but will spare you my rambling!

It has been 4 years since I last made Tuna Noodle Casserole, even though I consider it to be one of those main casserole comfort foods. Tuna Noodle Casserole, made like my mom used to make it, is one of those creature comforts that I need every once in awhile but do not need to overdo. It is also one of the few things I use canned soup in anymore, but I would not make it any other way!

What is comfort to you?

Tuna Noodle Casserole

1 6 oz bag egg noodles

1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup milk

1 7 ounce can tuna, drained

1 cup frozen peas, cooked

1 cup crushed potato chips

salt and pepper to taste

1. Prepare egg noodles as directed on package; drain and rinse.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  3. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl
  4. Place into a buttered casserole or baking dish and sprinkle evenly with crushed potato chips
  5. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly

Here are some recipes other food bloggers find comfort in:

Comments

on the top of my head…comfort to me is

– sipping a nice hot cup of tea and some munchies on the side and reading a nice book
    – curled up in the bed on weekend mornings knowing that there is no hurry to wake up
    -being at home and doing nothing! :D
    – knowing that our best friends(almost family!) are just half a mile away and that they will be over in a minute if we need them to
    – rice with yoghurt and some nice hot indian mango pickle!
    – warm melting chocolate brownies with vanilla icecream
    – the fact that i can eat and eat and eat and still not put on that much weight! (I am blessed that way!)
    -when the door opens in the evening and i know that my husband is back home :)

thats all i can think of right now..theres more!! :) loved reading yours :) n ofcourse, loved the recipe too :)

SuperChefs last blog post..Udon Noodle Stir Fry and Hot Vegetable Curry with Spiced Noodles!

Comfort is warm feet. In fact, if my feet are warm, I’m in danger of falling asleep, because unless I’m in bed, under the covers, they never ARE warm! So if I’m somewhere else and they’re warm, I get all drowsy, since my body assumes I must be in bed. Haha.

camilles last blog post..Macaroni and Beef

Oh… I know I told you this last week… but this was one of those things my mom used to “punish” me with as a child.

When no one is looking I’ll make my own comfort food the way mom used to make: white penne pasta, jarred marinara sauce, frozen French-style green beans and Kraft Parmesan impostor.

Oh man. Now I’ve got the craving.

~Cat

Delta Whiskeys last blog post..Week of Siblings

Hi new Facebook friend! I cannot believe this! I have wanted this recipe for ages! My sister used to make this when we were kids – she brought the recipe home from Girl Scouts one day and it became a regular, favorite dinner. Thanks.

Jamies last blog post..SHE WORE RED VELVET

I can never make a good tuna noodle casserole and now I know why. My recipes never have called for potato chips. Very yummy indeed. Hope all is well with your pregnancy. I’ll be praying for a safe and healthy delivery and baby!

Robin Sues last blog post..Ballpark Food: Nachos

Thanks for the great tuna casserole recipe. We always seem to have tuna in the pantry, but I’m never sure what to cook with it. This recipe is something I’m pretty sure my kids will like. I’ll have to try it this week.

With this economy, and at least where I am, coming slowly out of the long, long winter, comfort is definitely at the top of my family’s list right now. Thanks!

Kyles last blog post..Free Consulting for Kimberly-Clark

7. Tricia Trewartha says

YUMMY IN MY TUMMY!!!! I just made some of this the other day. I can eat a whole pan alone! IM also Pregnant 17 weeks this saturday congrats to you!!

8. Laura says

I just made this, was delicious. (I kept eating the chips off the top though, before serving it – ha, ha!) Thanks for the recipe!