The Facebook Conspiracy (Recipe: Lemon Pepper Shrimp Scampi)

A few months ago, I finally got on the bandwagon and created a Facebook account. After years of hearing my nieces and nephews talk about it, I just figured it was some kind of trendy kids site. One night, my high school friend Julie convinced me that it was cool for us 30 somethings to do and I trusted her judgment and joined. I’ve really enjoyed connecting with high school and college friends plus people I hang out with now. It has also been a great way to keep up with my family members. Even my mom has a Facebook account now! It has taken me a few months to get the hang of things and of course, right when I think I have it all figured out, the brains behind Facebook go and change everything to some horribly confusing layout. I hate it.

After trying to figure out why Facebook would make a change that obviously did not need to happen, it hit me… you know what this change is all about? It is about all of us “old farts” invading the space of the kids. I read an article recently about “Grandpa Browsing Your Facebook Page” and how the older generations invasion of Facebook is turning some kids off of the website. I think that Facebook up and changed everything to confuse those of us who are old and set in our ways and who don’t manage change too well. They are trying to force us out by creating a layout that is so completely un-user friendly and ugly with the hopes that we will go back to our Bingo and Crossword Puzzles and leave Facebook alone.

Could I live without Facebook? Of course! Do I want to? Not really as I’ve enjoyed the connections I have made, but if it stays the way it is, I’ll be using it less and less.

Needless to say,  I am one of those people who have a really difficult time with change. Certain things need to stay the same or it throws my world off kilter. There are some things, like this yummy recipe, that bring a welcome change… a small change from the ordinary that brings something tasty into your life. Switching out the pasta I normally use when I make shrimp scampi for Orzo was a very good change – gave this scampi a whole new dimension of texture and richness.

As far as Facebook and the changes they made, I wish they would leave the customizing up to the users. As far as switching up your Shrimp Scampi recipe, take it from me… Cooking Light had it right when they created this tasty dish!

Lemon Pepper Shrimp Scampi (from the March 2009 issue of Cooking Light)

1 cup uncooked orzo
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
7 teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1. Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Place orzo in a medium bowl. Stir in parsley and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and keep warm.

2. While orzo cooks, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add half of shrimp to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until almost done. Transfer shrimp to a plate. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in pan. Add remaining shrimp to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until almost done. Transfer to plate.

3. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in pan. Add garlic to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in shrimp, juice, and pepper; cook 1 minute or until shrimp are done

Comments

LOL! Love the “old farts” comment! I really don’t like the new layout either. Hope it’ll change since so many people are speaking out about it.

Yummy looking recipe & pics too!

This made me laugh! Being one of the old farts (at 45) one of the first things I posted on my FB page was how I hated the new way of doing things! Thank goodness for recipes like these though that take us back to the good ol days, huh?!

Janets last blog post..Rambutan

That shrimp dish sounds really good! As to facebook…I’m not a fan of the change, but the only thing (at least for me) that has changed is the home page and (ever so slightly) profile pages. To search your friends, photos, etc…it’s still the same. I don’t think it’s as clearly organized as it used to be.

Claires last blog post..A Perfect Match!

I think most people don’t like change – especially when what used before worked! At least for us “old farts” it worked. ;o)

I can adapt to it. I like the connections I have made also – old school friends, current friends, and new friends. I probably won’t stop using, so they are getting rid of this old fart!

The scampi looks delish and of course, I’m hooked because it is a Cooking Light recipe!

HoneyBs last blog post..The show, blogging buddies, and food!

Just when I was thinking about starting another Facebook, this time for my blog, I’m turned totally against it by all the negative press it is receiving. I’m probably just using it as another excuse to not start one. :) I’ve always embraced change, except for when it is super annoying. Think I’ll wait a while before doing the Facebook thing again.

Micheles last blog post..Inspirations from this Week

Welcome home! :) Hope your vacation was fun and relaxing. That dish looks just fantastic, I love shrimp, and with lemon, even better! As for the Facebook changes, I’m sure as with everything else, we’ll get used to them. :)

LyBs last blog post..TWD – French Yogurt Cake

It seems so many of us, older farts than you, have just gotten around to using Facebook. I didn’t really know how to use it well before so the change didn’t have much effect on me. I’m sure it will change again in no time, anyway. Meanwhile I am running to try and keep up with all of these things.

Lisas last blog post..Poached Pears with Red Fruit and Ginger

8. Pat Wogan says

A friend once wisely told me that the only persons who like change are wet babies. The shrimp looks delicious. Glad you enjoyed your vacation. We certainly did!

9. cs says

the new Facebook layout is definitely terrible. the last time they updated (which seems like it was just a few months ago) it was obviously about advertising. the old-new facebook incorporated a lot more advertising, and it became more obtrusive. now this. this one’s a bit more baffling – it seems as if they were trying to adopt the feel of Twitter (which, if you ask me, is a site with very few purposes beyond stoking vanity).

the thing is, the people making these changes *want* the old farts. they want as many people as possible to join. this would have been before your time, but for the first few years, facebook was really just a site for those in college. you had to have an active .edu email to register. once they realized it was getting so popular that they could be making a ton more money off of it, they started letting everyone sign up.

personally, i’m 26 – old enough that facebook long seemed like it was for people younger than me, and old enough that i shouldn’t care about such things perhaps – but i was not thrilled when my mother and my 60+ uncle added me on facebook, either. it’s not that i am doing anything scandalous on there, it’s just that it’s in many ways such a vain, frivolous pursuit, in my world anyway. a facebook profile, amongst my friends, is just a series of in-jokes and general nonsense. having your mother looking at it and asking you to explain things she saw on your profile and didn’t understand – it brings almost a sense of gravity to the whole thing that is not particularly welcome. let’s just say i’ve been using facebook less and less, even before this gross new change. :P

the shrimp, however, looks fantastic.

Mmm…orzo scampi. I always make shrimp scampi with linguine. I’m sure orzo would be great too!

My parents are my Facebook friends. Doesn’t make a difference to me (mind you, I’m not in high school/university). But, I also don’t put private info on there or drunken photos.

Psychgrads last blog post..Sugar Shack

11. Laura says

Funny- I dont like the new FB as much as the old, but it has grown on me a bit. I HATED it at first, now its tolerable.

Recipe looks yummy! Will try with guests we’re having over next month. Thanks! :)