Mama Is In Denial (Recipe: Tex Mex Calzones)

Holy cow – I am having a baby in less than 7 weeks!

I took these Calzones to a friend of mine this evening who recently had a baby, and while I was there it hit me… I’m pregnant and I am going to have another kid in the house before I know it. Of course, I know that I am pregnant… it is a little obvious by the bulging tummy, swollen ankles, and all of those other lovely things that come with pregnancy. It honestly hasn’t hit me until today though how soon this baby is going to be here! My other kids were 2-3 weeks early, so there is a distinct possibility that our newest addition could be here in a months time.

We got rid of everything baby and maternity related after Ella was born because we honestly thought we were done having kids. Now that this little blessing has come into our life, we are basically starting over in the baby department.

I was thinking back to everything we registered for when I was first pregnant with Jacob, my now 7 year old. We had everything, from the wipes warmer to the diaper genie (sooooo gross!!) to the little blanket that had velcro and burrito swaddled the baby for you. The first time we used the wipes warmer, we noticed a burning smell coming from his room. The wipes warmer warmed a little too much and our wipes were dry and burnt. From that point on, the poor little bambino had to have cold wipes on his bum… and guess what? He survived.

Little Leah Katherine is going to have to get by with the bare minimum. I’m thinking at the very least a car seat. Maybe some clothes and a bassinet, although a really cushioned laundry basket might do the trick (Kidding!).

I am getting prepared in the food department, which seems to be a fairly common theme for me (remember vacation preparation?). Tonight I ended up making a triple batch of these Calzones. Took one batch to my friend, served one batch to my family, and freezed a batch for after the baby is born. I have double batched a couple of other meals to have on hand once our world is rocked with the arrival of baby number four.

If you have any great freezer meals, would you send the recipes my way? Also, what do you think is absolutely essential to have when baby comes home? I would love to know what product you couldn’t live without when it comes to your little ones.

Tex-Mex Calzones (from the March 2009 Issue of Cooking Light Magazine)

8 ounces ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (I also added 1/4 of a packet of Chili Seasoning to give it a bit more flavor)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup fat-free fire-roasted salsa verde
1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated thin-crust pizza dough
3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded Mexican blend cheese
Cooking spray
Salt to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Remove turkey mixture from heat; stir in salsa.

3. Unroll dough; divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6 x 4–inch rectangle. Working with one rectangle at a time, spoon about 1/2 cup turkey mixture on one side of dough. Top with 3 tablespoons cheese; fold dough over turkey mixture, and press edges together with a fork to seal. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and turkey mixture. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until browned. Serve with sour cream.

Calzones can be so versatile. Here are some other combinations food bloggers love:

Comments

1. Lucy says

Kristen, I loved this post! Brought back so many memories! :) My oldest is also 7 -I remember researching every baby product to death and making sure we had all the ‘proper’ things. I had a Avent bottle sterilizer and I was so neurotic about it, I would sterilize the bottles several times to make sure they were sterile as can be! :)Cracks me up to think about it now. Anyway, love the name you’ve picked! I would say if I had to pick one absolute necessity, it would be the bouncy seat!

We didn’t know you were pregnant, so this was a fun read. :) Wish we had tips, but we’re kidless. Oh well. We’d think frozen casseroles, calzones/empanadas, pancakes (they freeze and reheat so well!), cookies dough, lasagnas and breads may be a good start for your list. But do you really have time and patience to cook all of that right now…?

The Duo Dishess last blog post..We Told You So

I made cheese steak stromboli the other night for dinner the family loved it, I’ll have to try the calzone recipe too! I’m wayyyyy past the baby stage honey, I’m a gramma now and lovin every minute of it. I remember making my own formula for my daughter (she’s 31 now) cause she was allergic to the one the doctor said to use. I got the recipe from my mom, it was Karo , canned milk and water she was able to keep that down. No wipies back then, we used warm wash clothes at diaper time.

Bunnys last blog post..Cat Cora’s Greek Stewed Cinnamon Chicken and Bananas and Cream Bundt Cake w/ Brown Butter Glaze

4. Sheila says

My DIL & her twin have had 4 kids in the past three years. They both swear by the Ultimate Crib Sheet from Babies-R-Us.

For freezer cooking, I went through a self-initiation last Fall. I checked out of the library the books recommended by others and decided what I couldn’t live without. These are my faves and all have lots of excellent choices and ways to change things up, without feeling I have to cook for an entire month to get what I want. The great thing about freezer cooking is that it will take you through the kids growing up and beyond. I live alone and just have to rethink some of the recipes. Pretty soon you’ll just be making an extra dish of whatever’s for dinner and throwing it in the freezer.

Make a Mix-(Eliason, et al.) -great ways for making and storing various mixes and different recipes to use them; (love their Pinto Bean Mix for refried beans!)

Dinner’s in the Freezer-(Martinez, et al.) -toss-up for first place; I love that she provided multiple yields depending on how many you’re cooking for

You’ve Got It Made- (Philips)
    Super Suppers-(Byrd)

Another thing you might try, which is what got me started on home freezer cooking, is an experience at Super Suppers or SupperThyme or any of the ’feed-the-freezer’ franchises. Or look online at their monthly menu options and find similar recipes online. You’ll realize it’s easier and cheaper to do at home. Search freezer cooking–ultimately it depends on what your family likes.

King Ranch Casserole
    Buttermilk Chicken
    South of the Border Vegetarian Bake
    (I’m having issues with your contact page… sorry for the length here)

If I had to strip it down to the bare-bones must-haves for a new baby… hands down would be the vibrating bouncy seat. That saved us so many times with both kids. With a bouncy seat, car seat, and a stroller, I think you would really have everything you need, and everything else would just be extra bonuses. Well, except the obvious, like diapers and whatnot. ;)

Good luck getting everything done you want to over the next few weeks!

Erikas last blog post..Hello, Breakfast!

6. caroline says

That’s a gorgeous photo. I’ll try this recipe this week!

Good luck preparing for the new little one!

This recipe looks great, and meets my “family friendly but not bland and icky” requirements. I laughed out loud about the wipe warmer – we pitched ours after I refused to use it because I was afraid of burning my son’s delicate tush.

Looks yummy! It’s been a long time since I picked up a Cooking Light magazine. I’ll have to revisit this old friend. Congratulations on your upcoming baby.
    For the first few weeks after the birth of my baby, I couldn’t have survived without a boppy pillow. It eased pain from c-section and helped with nursing.