Mama Is In Denial (Recipe: Tex Mex Calzones)

Holy cow – I am having a baby in less than 7 weeks!

I took these Calzones to a friend of mine this evening who recently had a baby, and while I was there it hit me… I’m pregnant and I am going to have another kid in the house before I know it. Of course, I know that I am pregnant… it is a little obvious by the bulging tummy, swollen ankles, and all of those other lovely things that come with pregnancy. It honestly hasn’t hit me until today though how soon this baby is going to be here! My other kids were 2-3 weeks early, so there is a distinct possibility that our newest addition could be here in a months time.

We got rid of everything baby and maternity related after Ella was born because we honestly thought we were done having kids. Now that this little blessing has come into our life, we are basically starting over in the baby department.

I was thinking back to everything we registered for when I was first pregnant with Jacob, my now 7 year old. We had everything, from the wipes warmer to the diaper genie (sooooo gross!!) to the little blanket that had velcro and burrito swaddled the baby for you. The first time we used the wipes warmer, we noticed a burning smell coming from his room. The wipes warmer warmed a little too much and our wipes were dry and burnt. From that point on, the poor little bambino had to have cold wipes on his bum… and guess what? He survived.

Little Leah Katherine is going to have to get by with the bare minimum. I’m thinking at the very least a car seat. Maybe some clothes and a bassinet, although a really cushioned laundry basket might do the trick (Kidding!).

I am getting prepared in the food department, which seems to be a fairly common theme for me (remember vacation preparation?). Tonight I ended up making a triple batch of these Calzones. Took one batch to my friend, served one batch to my family, and freezed a batch for after the baby is born. I have double batched a couple of other meals to have on hand once our world is rocked with the arrival of baby number four.

If you have any great freezer meals, would you send the recipes my way? Also, what do you think is absolutely essential to have when baby comes home? I would love to know what product you couldn’t live without when it comes to your little ones.

Tex-Mex Calzones (from the March 2009 Issue of Cooking Light Magazine)

8 ounces ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (I also added 1/4 of a packet of Chili Seasoning to give it a bit more flavor)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup fat-free fire-roasted salsa verde
1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated thin-crust pizza dough
3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded Mexican blend cheese
Cooking spray
Salt to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Remove turkey mixture from heat; stir in salsa.

3. Unroll dough; divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6 x 4–inch rectangle. Working with one rectangle at a time, spoon about 1/2 cup turkey mixture on one side of dough. Top with 3 tablespoons cheese; fold dough over turkey mixture, and press edges together with a fork to seal. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and turkey mixture. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until browned. Serve with sour cream.

Calzones can be so versatile. Here are some other combinations food bloggers love:

Comments

Yummy recipe!! With Sophia I couldn’t live without my hotsling. She lived in it for the first three months of her life. It was so important for me to keep her close while still have free hands for the other three!! I still have mine and would be happy to let you borrow it!! We also loved out bouncy seat. Can’t wait to meet little Leah!!

Jennifer Mullinaxs last blog post..365 Blog…

I’m so excited for you! I know you’ve made the Cooking Light Chicken Chilaquiles before, they freeze well (before baking). Also taco soup is so simple in the crockpot, other than browning the meat with an onion it’s dumping in cans. It freezes well too. Lasagna is great to store in the freezer before cooking, and soups and stews usually store well, I think I always have some beef stew in the freezer. Let me know if you need more I have lots of recipes!

Dianas last blog post..Picky Eaters

Kristen, I’m getting so excited for you! Don’t worry at all about little Leah Katherine having just the bare minimum when it comes to baby gear – just think of what our moms used for us (I think my dad made me a wooden bench or something in the back of their Karman Ghia!). Anyway, there is one useful new gadget you might take a look at – I found it a real lifesaver, especially if you’re breastfeeding. It’s called the Itzbeen – basically like a really robust stopwatch. It keeps track of how long it’s been since the last feeding, diaper change, nap or whatever else you need to track. My mommy brain could never keep that stuff straight so it was an indispensable tool!

Kathy – Panini Happys last blog post..Grilled Asparagus & Prosciutto Panini

Wow, 7 weeks! How exciting! I can so relate to this- my kids are 24, 18, 12, and 2!

I couldn’t live without my favorite second hand store- it’s been a financial lifesaver! http://www.kidtokid.com/index.php

But really, items I couldn’t live without are Costco brand baby wipes- the best!

Balmex diaper ointment (they have a coupon, too!

VentAire bottles- LOVE them!: http://www.playtexbaby.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?id=1018

Consumer Reports baby safety info!

Wish I had known about these diapers all my friends are using!:

My friends new baby business blog: http://greenchicmama.com/blog/

I have many, many, more resources that I will email (and recipes too!), but my one huge, huge, lifesaver has been Stroller Strides, my mommies exercise group- it’s how I stay sane!! http://www.strollerstrides.com/index.php

Blessings my friend! Janet

Janets last blog post..Gorgonzola and Butternut Squash Pizza

What a beautiful name you’ve chosen! There are so many things I didn’t use for my third baby, it was so different than with my first! We do tend to be able to get by with the bare essentials, I guess we get more organized with time.

One thing I couldn’t live without is my jogger stoller. I’ve had it since 2000 (it’s similar to the one in this link: http://www.babytrend.com/products_detail.php?CategoryID=0004.0001.0000.0000&LampID=938 ) and after 3 kids it’s pretty much on its last leg, but I’ve used it in every season, including winter, and it’s just fantastic. Now, don’t go thinking that I’m a jogger though, I just like to take walks, that’s all. :)

Those calzones sound like a great meal to have in the freezer, I’ll put them on my to try list.

LyBs last blog post..TWD – Raspberry-Lime Crumb Cake

I felt this way before all of my kids–pregnancy is a huge change, but noting compared to the change brought about by a few hours (or days–I hope not) of labor. It is a thoroughly weird feeling. :)

ALL of the tortilla casserole recipes on my website freeze really well. Actually I think all casseroles probably freeze well, but those, and another I have not posted yet, I have the most experience with.

Lauras last blog post..Laura’s Version Of Susan’s Whole Grain Cottage Cheese Bread

You don’t need much! Especially in the beginning. I used only half the stuff and hey! My mom DID sleep in a drawer for her first month or so of life!

I put my son in a Moses basket I had for the first few weeks even though I had a gorgeous cradle. It was just easy and my husband left town a couple days after he was born so I kept the basket on my bed. It was rather nice. Now he is THREE as of yesterday!

Nicoles last blog post..You’re Invited! An Open House Extravaganza!

Since I am never having kids I can only imagine how the realization of bringing a new life to the world must be. Congratulations and great recipe! I love the combination of flavors (of course :D )

Bens last blog post..Whole-wheat quesadillas

i remember when my boy came 3 wks earlier, we were totally out of control cos we didnt prepare really well. now u even hv your food prepared!!!!

maybe u can check out my meatballs recipe, they freeze really well too!!!

congraz!

lululus last blog post..Spaghetti and Meatballs

10. Pat Wogan says

You already have the one thing absolutely necessary and that is lots of love to give. Leah Katherine is fortunate to be born into your family. A big brother and two helpful sisters. A Mom and Dad who are already great and experienced parents. And Grandparents who are so excited about her arrival.

This looks delicious. I want to make it when I get home. I came to your site via tastespotting.com

As for things I ABSOLUTELY could NOT do without when I brought my beautiful baby home…I would say my cloth diapers – the kissaluvs – the sling so that I could keep her by me all the time, Lanolin for ME because she had a latch-on problem, her swing, her bouncy seat.

Charisses last blog post..Weekend with [HIS] family

I am so excited for you, Kristen! I can only imagine how nice it would be to have another beautiful little baby around.

It has been quite a long time for me, but the one thing that saved my life when my daughter was a baby, was her wind up baby swing. She was happy in there for hours at a time and it gave me time to get things done around the house. Whenever she was fussy, we just popped her in the swing and she’d be fast asleep in no time.

Susan at Sticky,Gooey,Creamy,Chewys last blog post..Rest in Peace, Sweet Maria

13. Laura says

The itzbeen timer (mental life saver) and the bjorn (or any carrier). I love them both and couldnt do without them! (Well, ok, I could, but I wouldnt want to)

My favorite freezer friendly breakfast muffins (and kids love them):

Bran Flax muffins
    1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
    3/4 cup flaxseed meal
    3/4 cup oat bran (I use muesli cereal)
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 ts baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    2tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
    2 apples, peeled and shredded
    1/2 cup craisins
    1 cup nuts, chopped
    3/4 cup milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp vanilla

mix together flour, flax seed meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in carrots, apples, craisins and nuts.

Combine milk, beaten eggs and vanilla.

Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes. Yields 15 medium muffins.